UK 15.36TB Samsung PM1733 NVMe SSDs for £389.99, plus other bits from the same seller

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

erm_what

Mar 2, 2019
I've just tried one of mine in a USB to U.2 adapter and it was only using about 10W of a 36W PSU when writing, so they're not ridiculously power hungry. It didn't scale down lower than that when idling though.

I don't have a way to measure power consumption when it's in my server, so that's the best I can do there.

Reactions: Mihail

Mihail

Dec 4, 2017
why would they disable the power saving feature though? is this worth paying £100 extra for the used retail unit from the other listing above, my offer was accepted
the new unit turned up to have 0 reads and writes, the label bit dirty other than that like new..
and temperature goes towards 60C with no cooling at idle, so the normal version of this drive requires cooling same as the EMC,
and it doesnt work with my standalone pcie 4.0 to u.2 adapter but works with cabled one + sata power thats strange as EMC one works just fine with both....
same random 4k speeds on both except the EMC gives me higher on single 4k writes.... so you only lose some sequential read speed with the EMC one at pcie gen3 vs normal drive at gen4.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mihail

Dec 4, 2017
It's worth a shot. They may give you a refund. Also, if enough people say they bought because of this post then I get some free stuff too.
the seller hasnt replied on my £10 question Lol, probably doesnt give a toss once this was sold :D

edit: received a response: they are saying that they are not offering any discounts

Last edited:

erm_what

Mar 2, 2019
the seller hasnt replied on my £10 question Lol, probably doesnt give a toss once this was sold :D

edit: received a response: they are saying that they are not offering any discounts
Sorry about that. They also said they can't tell how many of the 40+ sales that happened after I posted up and talked to a bunch of people were because of me and how many were people finding it naturally so they're not giving me much either.

zachj

Apr 17, 2019
Anyone tried spoofing the pci device ID (and possibly vendor ID) in order to get the firmware flashing tool to see it as a vanilla Samsung device?

I dunno what attributes the flash tools are looking at to determine if a firmware is compatible or if a drive is supported, but spoofing pci attributes is trivial using either opencore or Linux + vfio.

Reactions: blunden

erm_what

Mar 2, 2019
Anyone tried spoofing the pci device ID (and possibly vendor ID) in order to get the firmware flashing tool to see it as a vanilla Samsung device?

I dunno what attributes the flash tools are looking at to determine if a firmware is compatible or if a drive is supported, but spoofing pci attributes is trivial using either opencore or Linux + vfio.
I think the tool uploads the firmware to the drive, then the controller checks the signature against the one stored inside it to decide whether to commit it to one of the three slots. Or at least that's what it seems to be doing.