14 TB SAS HDD *NEW* $135

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sic0048

Dec 24, 2018
Wish i came cross this post earlier since i just bought 6 HDD from ebay but SATA for $145USD. HDDs were listed as new but after checking SMART data it had over 600 hours. According to seller these are testing hours. Drives manufacturerd December 2019 hence no warranty. Unfortunately 1 drive failed immediately & seller was kind enough to refund. Even if seller ll agree returning them it ll be costly since i live in Kuwait. Now 5 drives are kept on the shelf since i lost confident with these drives. I think it should have been listed as Open box.
600 hours is not "testing". You should press the issue with the seller and get them returned.

Reactions: T_Minus

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
uhm, testing hard drives takes a while. Just running badblocks can easily take 100 hours. And if you want to run smart long test, you can add probably 100 more hours.

Some companies also test a hard drive for 1-2 weeks with heavy load simulation before using them for production. I also do that. First badblocks, then smart long test, then load simulation for a week.

Audz

May 17, 2022
uhm, testing hard drives takes a while. Just running badblocks can easily take 100 hours. And if you want to run smart long test, you can add probably 100 more hours.

Some companies also test a hard drive for 1-2 weeks with heavy load simulation before using them for production. I also do that. First badblocks, then smart long test, then load simulation for a week.
How do you load simulation to test? I have just been using bad blocks and smart long tests on new hdds

Reactions: Samir

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015

... not most though, and even by your example it's under 600 hours at the worst-case 100hr + 100hr + 2 weeks of 24hrs.

Passing off a 600hr drive as "new" is incorrect, that's not new no matter what the hours were used for.

I personally prefer not to buy any of the "new" drives with 10hrs or 20hrs or 50hrs... (unless they have 5yr warranty from manuf) it's either NEW in box with warranty, or it's going to be used for 90-180 days 24\7 at minimum, with no issues. Then obviously high-hour based on price \ what the buyer is OK with, but in my opinion NEW and barely used are the most dangerous drives you can buy based on failure % when starting to use vs. passing that 90 - 180 day threshold... based on my experience, and past statistics I've seen.

DaveInTexas

Oct 28, 2021
Thought I'd circle back on my experience. I purchased 12 drives. They arrived in 2 days (free shipping via UPS). Securely packed in Styrofoam (custom molded to hold up to 24 drives in the box). The drives were spread within the box in a fashion that appeared someone thought about weight distribution. Most drives had a gap slot between each drive. I was impressed with the level of care taken to package and ship them.

The drives themselves all have a manufacture date in June 2021. They are all shrink wrapped and look brand new, as advertised. I have yet to hook them up to query S.M.A.R.T. info or bench test them.

WD part number 0F31021
R/N US7SAP140

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
Thought I'd circle back on my experience. I purchased 12 drives. They arrived in 2 days (free shipping via UPS). Securely packed in Styrofoam (custom molded to hold up to 24 drives in the box). The drives were spread within the box in a fashion that appeared someone thought about weight distribution. Most drives had a gap slot between each drive. I was impressed with the level of care taken to package and ship them.

The drives themselves all have a manufacture date in June 2021. They are all shrink wrapped and look brand new, as advertised. I have yet to hook them up to query S.M.A.R.T. info or bench test them.

WD part number 0F31021
R/N US7SAP140

id be interested in any speed tests or performance tests you can share with these drives. can you also share what SAS card you are using and any other details regarding your setup (DAS, internal, etc)

DaveInTexas

Oct 28, 2021
@JoshDi will do. However, it may be a few weeks due to work, travel, etc. I wanted to grab these while they were available. I've been waiting awhile for a decent price on new or lightly used 14 or 16 TB SAS disks suitable for a NAS box.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
They must have SOO MANY of these SAS 14TB drives!!

Wish they were SATA!

pixelBit

Jul 16, 2019

WD part number 0F31021
R/N US7SAP140
The drives (SATA version) were basically new and passed surface testing. Here's pics of the packaging from Amazon:

IMG_5597 (Large) - Copy.JPEG
IMG_5600 (Large) - Copy.JPEG

Reactions: Samir and T_Minus

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Are they really single port or dual port? @pixelBit Could you shoot a picture from the SAS-connector, the inward facing side? If there's pins there drives are supposedly dual port SAS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir and ano

A33

Mar 16, 2023
There seems to be many different 14 TB Ultrastar SATA drives: Products

Any idea of the differences between them and which one to choose?

Jaket

Jan 4, 2017
Seattle, New York
purevoltage.com
Picked up 3 of the sata ones for one of our NVR's hopefully works out well for it.
Storage is backed up across 2 other data centers and a local one so not as worried about reliability but typically these are great.

jason879

Feb 28, 2016
There seems to be many different 14 TB Ultrastar SATA drives: Products

Any idea of the differences between them and which one to choose?
You could check the spec here

I pickup the WUH721414ALE6L1

The second to the last letter means:
Power Disable Pin 3 status
(0 = Power Disable Pin 3 support​
L = Legacy Pin 3 config – No Power​
Disable Support)​

Last digit means:
Data Security Mode
0 = Instant Secure Erase​
1 = SED*: Self Encrypting Drive.​
TCG-Enterprise and Sanitize​
Crypto Scramble / Erase.​
4 = Base (SE)*: No Encryption. Sanitize​
Overwrite only.​
5 = SED-FIPS: SED w/ certification​
(SAS only)​

goodtwist

Aug 8, 2023
Cool price! There is a note that it doesn't work for dual backplanes that can do SATA or SAS.
"Note: This drive uses Single Port SAS connections and will not work in SATA systems or with Dual Port SAS features"

I might try this 12TB one at $169.99 for a 2018 Dell R530. The Dell has a dual use backplane.

HGST Ultrastar He12 HUH721212AL5204 0F29532 12TB 7.2K RPM SAS 12Gb/s 512e 256MB 3.5" SE Hard Drive

Any of you guys see anything wrong with that drive?

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Cool price! There is a note that it doesn't work for dual backplanes that can do SATA or SAS.
"Note: This drive uses Single Port SAS connections and will not work in SATA systems or with Dual Port SAS features"

I might try this 12TB one at $169.99 for a 2018 Dell R530. The Dell has a dual use backplane.

HGST Ultrastar He12 HUH721212AL5204 0F29532 12TB 7.2K RPM SAS 12Gb/s 512e 256MB 3.5" SE Hard Drive

Any of you guys see anything wrong with that drive?
No, it doesn't say it doesn't work if your backplane does SATA or SAS it says it doesn't work for SATA because ... well it's a SAS drive ;) and it doesn't work with dual port SAS because it's a single port drive.

It will work with Supermicro backplanes which support SATA and SAS.

It won't work in a SATA only system, but if you're using that backplane for all SAS drives (or are comfortable mixing them) the drives WILL work.

It will also WORK with a dual port backplane, but you can't use both ports ;)