14 TB SAS HDD *NEW* $135

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
Actually the prices are pretty much the same for new drives in the US and Norway if you compare bestbuy, neweegg to similar dealers here. The difference is that serverpartdeals get the drives from another channel, which means they access them for a reduced price, similar to how AWS, Google, Micrsoft and so on buy 100k++ hard drives directly from WD, Seagate and Toshiba.

Anyway, for like 10 years ago, prices for hard drives were similar on Ebay vs buying directly a local norwegian dealer. But after the flooding, things changed. Today when I compare a 18TB hard drive, its around 150-180 USD on Ebay for a refurbished drive, compared to 300-350 USD at the local dealer. But 18TB from newegg is still 280 USD.

Reactions: Samir

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
And I would like to mention that buying from serverpartdeals has been a very good experience. Great drives that looks "new". Compared to many other drives I bought on Ebay where sellers don't even test the drives...nor can package the drives with proper protection.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
The difference is that serverpartdeals get the drives from another channel, which means they access them for a reduced price, similar to how AWS, Google, Micrsoft and so on buy 100k++ hard drives directly from WD, Seagate and Toshiba.
The main diffrence is that serverpartdeals are selling them towards the consumer market.

I can order whitelabels at simular in Europe as a company, but not as a consumer.
Same when ive been buying 120x 12/14tb refurbs at the time for Chia, have to order it as company as they will not sell them to consumers.

ano

Nov 7, 2022
Actually the prices are pretty much the same for new drives in the US and Norway if you compare bestbuy, neweegg to similar dealers here. The difference is that serverpartdeals get the drives from another channel, which means they access them for a reduced price, similar to how AWS, Google, Micrsoft and so on buy 100k++ hard drives directly from WD, Seagate and Toshiba.

Anyway, for like 10 years ago, prices for hard drives were similar on Ebay vs buying directly a local norwegian dealer. But after the flooding, things changed. Today when I compare a 18TB hard drive, its around 150-180 USD on Ebay for a refurbished drive, compared to 300-350 USD at the local dealer. But 18TB from newegg is still 280 USD.
just now realised your norwegian as well.
same here, we are actually a reseller and get bulk pricing, we both consume a large ammount, and sell a large ammount b2b in storage market, but currently the bulk dealer pricing, is higher... than end user pricing?! they have hiked prices from seagate/western last week, but its not reflected yet, we just bought sevral hundred 20TB from a reseller usually targeting regular consumers.. since it was 25% lower than our bulk bids... thats just.. meh

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
does it matter that these are single port SAS drives? Is the connector different for the backplane?

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
does it matter that these are single port SAS drives?
For normal use: no. If you need multipath (for redundancy) with two controllers then only one path will be dedected.
Is the connector different for the backplane?
No. Think like SATA drives which are compatible as well and always single path. Will work in every SAS backplane or connector.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I suppose the weak consumer laws in US is a blessing for us all on drive prices tho.
That is the main reason almost nobody sell at those prices in Europe, too many countries that by law they have to replace/refund even a decade old spinner sold for 20€ if it stops working within 1-2-3years.

+ higher tech cost makes it cheaper overall to ship them to a lowcost region like Asia/US.
Thank you for this. I was just wondering the other day if there was something 'different' about the EU that causes the prices to be higher--now I know! :)

So in the EU if there was a vendor that sold new drives as 'used with no warranty', would they still be forced to offer a warranty on the drives? Or then would just be 'new drives, no warranty'? Very curious to know.

chrgrose

Jul 18, 2018
To follow up on this, for example, there are credit card programs which give cash back on ebay. capital one has 4% on spend for example, so it's a no-brainer for pure benefit.
What card is that? I spend/sell a lot on eBay and I've been using the Synchrony Mastercard that basically gives 3.33% back on ebay purchases. I'd be grateful if anyone told me about a better deal :)

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
So in the EU if there was a vendor that sold new drives as 'used with no warranty', would they still be forced to offer a warranty on the drives? Or then would just be 'new drives, no warranty'? Very curious to know.
You're kinda missing the concept of there not being such a thing as "no warranty". EU prices are also higher because tax (VAT) is always included in the price (and is higher than sales tax in the US).

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Im in Norway that is a co-op state not full member, but the EU laws are getting fairly identical as they are tightening up (there can be diffrences between EU countries also).

For me as a consumer the most important parts domesticly here is
- 2year "reklamasjon" (basically warranty by law against who sold it)
- upped to 5years if meant to last longer than 2, almost everything electronic is in this (used remains at 2 still)
- Repair/replacement to be without cost for me (also included added costs, so if they replace a broken AM4 mobo with AM5 they have to replace cpu/ram to compatible ones also)
- "AS IS" does not exist unless its sold as parts/broken (even then if price is so high that it should have been working its voided, to prevent loophole)
- They can attempt 3 repairs of same problem before having to replace/refund
- Replacing an item resets the years and full rights again for the replacement
- Warranty void stickers are not valid
- Shucking does not void rights, but they can demand to get full product (external case also) back rather than just key component

Terms and years variate between countries, but in general they cant sell a used drive to consumers and not be liable.
Even if sold with no warranty they are still liable for repair/replacement for 1-3 years depending on country.
For new stuff its 2-7years they will be liable, and that is a exposure you dont want if selling whitelabels without the brand refunding you for that full timeframe.

Norway used to be strictest but there are others in EU that are stricter than us now.
For some highend stuff this really drives prices up, since store is liable for 5years while brand only say 2-3-4 years so store takes full bill beyond that.

Last edited:

ribroc

ebay hardware hobbyist
Feb 16, 2022
What card is that? I spend/sell a lot on eBay and I've been using the Synchrony Mastercard that basically gives 3.33% back on ebay purchases. I'd be grateful if anyone told me about a better deal :)
For the past quarter they have had 4% across their portal. You can get more additionally if you have a rewards card. The quicksilver gives 1.5% cash universally on spend for example, so that combo has been 5.5% for me.

It's nice to have cards at multiple firms, chase commonly provides 5% opportunities via paypal or amazon pay if using one of their rotating category products. If this sounds like the type of micromanaging you enjoy, a quick websearch on the term "churning" would probably appeal to you. You can in theory make your dollars go 8-10% further if you are willing to put in the work and inconvenience. It's a matter of how much you value your time.

Reactions: Samir and chrgrose

Jacoub2490

Apr 23, 2021
Wish i came cross this post earlier since i just bought 6 HDD from ebay but SATA for $145USD. HDDs were listed as new but after checking SMART data it had over 600 hours. According to seller these are testing hours. Drives manufacturerd December 2019 hence no warranty. Unfortunately 1 drive failed immediately & seller was kind enough to refund. Even if seller ll agree returning them it ll be costly since i live in Kuwait. Now 5 drives are kept on the shelf since i lost confident with these drives. I think it should have been listed as Open box.

Last edited:

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
Im thinking about changing my LSI 9285-CV with two RAID6 to a new LSI 9286 thats flashed as an HBA/IT mode. I use an HB-2435 DAS with 24x 3.5in bays.

Ill copy over the data to new drives to create new partitions, as I know the LSI RAID partitions cannot be read by the HBA card.OR can they because this is an IT card? My LSI Raid partitions are RAID6 at the moment with a cache-cade in front (I'd remove the cache-cade before switching over to the IT based card). Will any LSI RAID partition type be readable via the HBA/IT card? RAID0 or RAID1 even? Thanks - Im trying to devise how to copy over the data while I migrate from the LSI RAID 6 partitions.

Im new to configuring multipath - will these drives work with multipath or only have one path because of the single port SAS (vs dual port SAS drives)?

My HB-2435 has dual IOM6 controllers and I populated all 4 PSUs because I did a fan swap on them to quiet them down.

These drives are a steal - the company wont discount them any more... I tried asking if I could get a quantity discount if I bought 12 of these drives.

Anyway, if anyone knows if these wont work with Ubuntu Multipath configuration like dual port SAS drives would, I'd love some advice before I purchase these. Thanks.

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
without multipath and one HBA (9207 IT Mode) - will speed suffer without multipath? I have a dual IOM6 controller HB-2435

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
Probably not. if you are using spinners. you have to have a lot of drives to fill the I/O pathway

If you are using SSD's, once you get to 4-8 SSD's you can fill the I/O.

Chris

Reactions: Samir and JoshDi