12TB 3yr warranty refurbed Seagate for $6.83/TB shipped

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
Sticker shock anyone?
I think it's cheaper to buy a whole JBOD chassis plus the necessary cables, HBA, and smaller drives than to use the latest, greatest supersized drives in your current chassis. Even with this great deal, it's a 12TB drive at $6.67/TB, and I just bought a bunch of 8TB SAS drives for $5.13/TB. I only need 1.5x as many bays for the same total storage. That's another reason the really big drives are so expensive...there are a lot of people with only a 4-bay NAS that want 60TB of storage, so they have to buy 20TB drives.

As for SAS, I have generally found that once you get larger than about 8TB, SAS drives are more expensive on the used market than enterprise SATA. I suspect this is because SAS are still much more expensive when new, and larger drives are newer, thus the cost hasn't been amortized long enough to bring the price down on the used market.

For spinning rust, actual performance should be the same on SAS and SATA, even though SATA is limited to 6Gbps and you pay a slight penalty for tunneling SATA over an SAS connection.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
your point is true on $ per TB, but conversely, once you pass a certain number of drives (that number is generally 'whatever will fit in my current chassis') then using the lower density drives becomes more of a chore.

Also expensive electricity cost can be a drag, even if it's only like 9W per drive.

Reactions: Samir and nexox

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
your point is true on $ per TB, but conversely, once you pass a certain number of drives (that number is generally 'whatever will fit in my current chassis') then using the lower density drives becomes more of a chore.
Yeah, that's why the 4-bay people need the really big drives.

For me, a 12-bay chassis designed for running a server 24/7 (e.g., Supermicro 2U) is by far a better deal than getting something smaller that only holds an ITX motherboard...there's much more versatility. I don't worry about finding NIC cards that work in the chassis, and I can buy things like add-in card NVMe. It's also
96TB raw with just 8TB drives, and I feel if you actually need that kind of storage, you shouldn't try and do it with a 4-bay NAS and 24TB drives. More drives means I can use a RAID6/RAIDz2 for safety, and the cheaper drives mean I can have a spare or two on hand without feeling like I'm letting a lot of money just sit on the shelf.

unwind-protect

Mar 7, 2016
Boston
Seems like a good buy when you want
- raidz3
- and hence 8 drives total
- and your budget can't cover 8 large drives plus spare(s)

Reactions: Samir

GhettoSuperstar

Mar 12, 2020
I got 3 10tb WD HC510 SAS drives for a total of 164.86 with tax. That's almost $5.4 per TB. way better than 24tb at 500$ 164.86

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
...and you pay a slight penalty for tunneling SATA over an SAS connection.
Interesting--what type of penalty and how?
Looks like Chia mining didn't pan out too well.
Yep, was a scam from day one imo.
The real deal requires real dough. ;)
I got 3 10tb WD HC510 SAS drives for a total of 164.86 with tax. That's almost $5.4 per TB. way better than 24tb at 500$ 164.86
It gets even better when you drop down below 8TB too as this deal was $2/TB:

nexox

May 3, 2023
Interesting--what type of penalty and how?
The SATA payload is encapsulated in a SAS frame, which adds a little extra data on the wire, though I can't seem to find the numbers now, Google just wants to show me search results about NVMe and iSCSI today instead.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
The SATA payload is encapsulated in a SAS frame, which adds a little extra data on the wire, though I can't seem to find the numbers now, Google just wants to show me search results about NVMe and iSCSI today instead.
Ah that makes sense. Thank you for sharing the important detail. :) I can do the rest of the research on my own.

Reactions: nexox

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
That penalty has to be such a small amount of data it's irrelevant.. the real loss when using SATA is the additional functionality\options\etc SAS drives provide... which may not even be useful for people here depending what they're doing. I only have SAS HDD because they were cheaper, I would have preferred SATA especially in my 4-Bay NAS :D In a larger array\pool setup then I would go SAS for the read\write vs SATA but again I'm not even sure that actually matters that much... would be curious to see performance of same drive on SATA vs SAS in a 24 drive pool all else equal.

bwahaha

Jun 9, 2023
35K POH bothers me. That's a lot of spin time.
Eh, when I see a mtbf advertised as 1M poh (I didn't look for this specific drive), 35K seems like chump change; Buy an extra or two, and still be ahead. Modern drives seem to last forever, with the occasional death during the first year, and more often, obsolete-ness in the decade after. I've replaced most of my drives due to upgrades, not failure (and often as not, the rare failure was mine, not the drive's).