12TB 3yr warranty refurbed Seagate for $6.83/TB shipped

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
It will be interesting to watch the STH on this one. 3888 sold as of this post:

It's go hard drive, so take that for whatever it's worth.

cmmh

Feb 26, 2021
Checking today, it shows a 1 year warranty. Also "488 sold in the last 24 hours."
Actually, the listing has I guess Ebay boilerplate that says 1 year refub warranty. The seller description does say 3-yr warranty.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
I checked and the last 12TB drive I bought in September thanks go Great Deals was about $80 with shipping, so this isn't too bad.

The anecdotes I hear with Go HardDrive are to expect no actual refurbishment at all, it's just a used drive with wiped smart data. But they do tend to honor their seller warranty.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
With these used drive deals becoming more common the last few years in capacities everyone wants and a lot of people jumping on these.. including myself at a couple points in the last 2 years.

My question... how many are mixing these "refurb" drives with new drives or used personal drives you already own? VS. throwing 4, 8, 12, etc into a pool and running with it?

What I'm getting at... is anyone running a lot of ONLY these drives? If so, what's your failure rate been like?

I have around a dozen mixed with new (or white label\returns I got myself from WD), so far so good... just curious how much life people are getting additional out of these. How many people are running 8TB+ WD\HGST drives into 70k, 80k hours? Is I guess maybe a better way to ask!

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
What I'm getting at... is anyone running a lot of ONLY these drives? If so, what's your failure rate been like?
My server has 3 SSDs, all used. 3 used enterprise hard drives, and one refurbished 'Water Panther' drive (an operation of serverpartsdeals).

It's been running well.

I did have some drive failures with some older used drives. But they were ones that were literally in a cardboard box of a guys' van. A few were DOA, a few more worked for a while but gradually failed. A few worked like champs and I retired because they were too small. I also had a used enterprise SSD just gradually crap out and die (increasing disconnection errors) after like 6 months.

had a couple consumer SSDs die too. One was literally the SATA connector that broke.

chrgrose

Jul 18, 2018
The 1 and 3 year warranty was described by them to me in an eBay message as "For the first year, it is cover by Allstate partner with eBay. We will provide the warranty for the subsequent 2nd and 3rd year."

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I did at one time buy 8 x 3TB HGST disks from GHD, through NewEgg I believe. Out of those disks, 4 failed smart tests within 6 months with a further 3 failing smart tests after 9-10 months. 1 survived for around 18 months before failing smart tests. The disks got me going with my server build at the time, but I had zero faith in them after the first failures. This was before I became aware of the reputation of the seller.

I have had much more mileage and confidence from using genuine manufacturer re-certified disks from reputable sellers. I couldn't imagine myself ever buying from GHD again, or from their various other re-branded stores, even if I am paying a little more for them :)

Reactions: Samir and T_Minus

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
The anecdotes I hear with Go HardDrive are to expect no actual refurbishment at all, it's just a used drive with wiped smart data.
I don't understand wiping the SMART.

If the drive was a train wreck, then the buyer will know that as soon as they run their own tests (SMART, badblocks, etc.). OTOH, if the drive was just used, why not keep the SMART data intact and let the buyer know "hey, it's a good drive...it even tells you so".

I have drives that have over 4000 power on days, and I got most of them when they were around 1000 power on days. I trusted them because they had been running for 3 years of their 5-year warranty, and SMART data was good.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
Well, if they wipe the smart they can claim it's 'refurbished' and charge more. There is also a tiny chance that some data sanitation regimes would require wiping smart data, but I doubt it?

But I agree with you. If it's really used I'd rather get the original stats.

And some (many?) users don't run a thorough drive test before putting a drive into production.

UnbentTulip

Feb 7, 2024
I've been running "ebay certified refurbished" drives in my storage server since I built it. A 16TB for parity and a 14TB for storage.

They've been going 24/7 for about a year, so far. unRAID shows the 14tb has "One smart error" recently. But when I run a long scan (takes forever...) It says everything checks good.

I doubt they were actually refurbished drives, now knowing what I know. But I spent probably $8-9/TB on them a year ago, so they were a really good deal.

I just threw a 12tb in it, also "ebay certified refurbished". So we'll see.

I'm running a used 6TB WD red in my Blue Iris server with a mfg date of 2014 with no issues for over a year, also.

Part of me says a big wallet day is going to come pretty soon, though. Haha

Filez

Feb 18, 2019
The 1 and 3 year warranty was described by them to me in an eBay message as "For the first year, it is cover by Allstate partner with eBay. We will provide the warranty for the subsequent 2nd and 3rd year."
So if the hdd dies or have #of bad sectors that is beyond my comfort level, I can return it?

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Is SAS being phased out? Most high capacity drives i see these days are SATA.