10G NIC fan shroud for Lenovo Tiny builds

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

WarlockSyno

Jul 8, 2023
I've been wanting to set up a Tiny cluster using my M720q model computers for a while, and with that have them use 10G networking. It seems that many people do use 10G network cards in these machines with varying success, the only issue I've seen that was a constant was the amount of heat build up that can occur. I figured I'd give a whack at designing something in Fusion 360 to help this issue. The goal was to make this as easy to make as possible, if there are any improvements you think that can be made, please don't hesitate to comment.

One thing I'd like to improve is being able to do this without soldering or modifying the board in anyway. If you know a way of doing that, please let me know.

Link with more info and instructions: Printables

The following results were generated using a thermocouple sitting on the heat sink of a Fujitsu D2755-A11 GS3 (Intel X520-DA2) network card, at a 30.2c ambient temperature and the machine running a 100% CPU benchmark for an hour. Also installed is a baffle on the rear of the unit, so more than likely this limits the air flow.

As far as I can tell, this card does not have an onboard temperature sensor, so the high temperature without the fan is more likely higher when measured on the chipset itself.

I was able to achieve a ~24c drop in a 30c ambient room. From 71c to 47.5, with the processor running at 100% load for an hour.

It uses a cheap 4010 blower fan, which in it's 24v and 12v configuration is very popular with 3D printers. So they are very plentiful and cheap. In this mod, I've opted for 5v, since there is a spot available on the board to pull 5v from.

1692966635474.png
xorwzgjcwyjb1.jpg

aruffell

Sep 22, 2023
Very nice build! I wonder whether upgrading the CPU cooler to the 65W version might help expel more of the system heat that may contribute to the NIC heating up. I don't have a 3D printer so I can't experiment with your shroud :(. I wonder why Lenovo has that cloth like barrier behind the internal wifi antenna as it seems it would block the airflow... did you try to see if removing it helps your blower pull in more fresh air?

I have an m920q and a P360 tiny inside a 24U rack that has temperature controlled exhaust fans and the room is typically around 21-24C all year round. I have upgraded the cooler of the p360 tiny to the 65W one, and have added the official Lenovo heatsink on the chipset on the m920q. Only the m920q has a 10GbE NIC as I have not found a baffle + card for the p360 yet (I already removed its GFX card so I could install the 65W cooler). I have added a second M2 to the m920q and a 2TB NVME so that is likely to contribute to some additional heat.

I have not noticed any heat issues but I also can't monitor the heat easily as I am unaware of a way of doing so since both systems are running Proxmox.

Wheels35

Jun 7, 2022
I printed up two of these over the last week for 2 of my m720qs, and they seemingly work great.
On one I used the 12v versions with a buck converter to step them down to 7.5v, and soldered to a point below PCIe riser which was 12v, the other was to the same 5v point you used. My biggest complaint is the annoying little whine that these fans have since they are so cheaply produced. I tried the 5v versions as well (on my bench PSU at 5v) and they are even more annoying since they run at full speed.

As @aruffell had mentioned, I removed the the front cloth/break/antenna mounting point, and I am unsure if it has made any difference in temperature, the only thing it might have done is made it more audible to the motor whine.

WarlockSyno

Jul 8, 2023
Very nice build! I wonder whether upgrading the CPU cooler to the 65W version might help expel more of the system heat that may contribute to the NIC heating up. I don't have a 3D printer so I can't experiment with your shroud :(. I wonder why Lenovo has that cloth like barrier behind the internal wifi antenna as it seems it would block the airflow... did you try to see if removing it helps your blower pull in more fresh air?

I have an m920q and a P360 tiny inside a 24U rack that has temperature controlled exhaust fans and the room is typically around 21-24C all year round. I have upgraded the cooler of the p360 tiny to the 65W one, and have added the official Lenovo heatsink on the chipset on the m920q. Only the m920q has a 10GbE NIC as I have not found a baffle + card for the p360 yet (I already removed its GFX card so I could install the 65W cooler). I have added a second M2 to the m920q and a 2TB NVME so that is likely to contribute to some additional heat.

I have not noticed any heat issues but I also can't monitor the heat easily as I am unaware of a way of doing so since both systems are running Proxmox.
You may see if your local library has 3D printers available, it would be an easy way to print them out. :)

As for temperatures, the temps I measured were with a 100% CPU load, 32GB of RAM, and the Wi-Fi chip replaced with a 2TB NVMe. So probably similar to your build, except you'd have more heat dissipation around the CPU.

As for the cloth thing, I have it pulling air from underneath it, so I'm not sure if it'd make a big difference.

Reactions: aruffell

WarlockSyno

Jul 8, 2023
I printed up two of these over the last week for 2 of my m720qs, and they seemingly work great.
On one I used the 12v versions with a buck converter to step them down to 7.5v, and soldered to a point below PCIe riser which was 12v, the other was to the same 5v point you used. My biggest complaint is the annoying little whine that these fans have since they are so cheaply produced. I tried the 5v versions as well (on my bench PSU at 5v) and they are even more annoying since they run at full speed.

As @aruffell had mentioned, I removed the the front cloth/break/antenna mounting point, and I am unsure if it has made any difference in temperature, the only thing it might have done is made it more audible to the motor whine.
Which brand of fans did you pick up? My WINSINN brand ones are barely even noticeable. They're brushless double ball bearing fans, so not much friction to be had from the motor themselves.

Wheels35

Jun 7, 2022
Which brand of fans did you pick up? My WINSINN brand ones are barely even noticeable. They're brushless double ball bearing fans, so not much friction to be had from the motor themselves.
I also picked up those. I have had issues with some of their other fans and motor whine over time, but I was hopeful these would be different. Not so much.

Looking at the reviews of the fans it looks like I'm also not alone. All of the negative reviews are due to fan whine.

Additionally though, I am within arms length of the Lenovos, so if they are out of earshot its fine, but them being so relatively close its a problem.