10DWDP Intel S3700 800GB $80

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Glock24

May 13, 2019
Prices are falling on these, now around $0.10 per GB, most sellers accept offers. I would grab a couple but I already spend more than I should on SSDs :(

Reactions: T_Minus and Samir

Glock24

May 13, 2019
Forgot to add them, now edited with links.

Keep in mind these are ~10 year old SATA SSDs. Yes, they have good write endurance, but IMHO they're not worth this price.
Yes they are old, but no moving parts that can wearout, are there? I bought one of these a few years ago for my security cameras, still going strong. There are some applications where these old drives can be used.

Reactions: T_Minus and Samir

amp88

Jul 9, 2020
Yes they are old, but no moving parts that can wearout, are there? I bought one of these a few years ago for my security cameras, still going strong. There are some applications where these old drives can be used.
The PLP capacitors have a rated life. I can't find exact details on the ones used in the S3700, but 10 years (especially if they were in a hot environment) is quite a long time. In this StorageReview review you can see them soldered to the board in the teardown shots.

If you buy these, you should pay attention to the health of the caps. There are some details on page 21 of the specs to help track them. If the caps go bad then in the best case you lose your PLP, but in the worst case they can leak and cause a short inside the drive, which could kill it.

More generally, these are old SATA drives, so the performance isn't great, especially in the current market. If you desperately need a high endurance drive and you have to use SATA then at least go for the S3710 (the slightly newer version of this line) or perhaps something from the PM863/SM863 line from Samsung (which are a bit newer).

amp88

Jul 9, 2020
Those caps look like standard leakers.
Yeah, I went and found them here on the Nippon Chemi-Con site (the pic there shows 1800 µF, but the data is for the same 470 µF as used in the S3700 (at least the one from StorageReview)).

Reactions: Samir

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
I just found the newer S3710 going for the same price, these used to be a lot more expensive than the S3700.

I got a few S3710 1.2TB in great health for about $100 each in the last couple months.

Reactions: Samir

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
Yeah, I went and found them here on the Nippon Chemi-Con site (the pic there shows 1800 µF, but the data is for the same 470 µF as used in the S3700 (at least the one from StorageReview)).
The caps are rated to 105C as shown in the storagereview photos. Electrolytic caps usually wear out by having the electrolyte dry up. This is temperature dependent. 105C is the highest common rating for caps. I have cheap consumer 85C caps that wore out after about 20 years of continuous service. Clearly not as ideal as 'solid' caps, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
The caps are rated to 105C as shown in the storagereview photos. Electrolytic caps usually wear out by having the electrolyte dry up. This is temperature dependent. 105C is the highest common rating for caps. I have cheap consumer 85C caps that wore out after about 20 years of continuous service. Clearly not as ideal as 'solid' caps, but I wouldn't worry about it.
Exactly. My 30 year old receiver would like a word.
There will be failures but not at the level of fear mongering in this thread.

I would also NEVER pick a PM863/SM863 over a S3700\S3710... you do you, but no thanks.

The real issue and risk is buying drives used for CHIA that may have 90% health but HAD been running HOT because they didn't run them properly.

Reactions: itronin and zac1

amp88

Jul 9, 2020
Exactly. My 30 year old receiver would like a word.
There will be failures but not at the level of fear mongering in this thread.

I would also NEVER pick a PM863/SM863 over a S3700\S3710... you do you, but no thanks.

The real issue and risk is buying drives used for CHIA that may have 90% health but HAD been running HOT because they didn't run them properly.
Can I point out that they're rated for only 6000 hours (250 days) at 105 C, or would you also consider that "fear mongering"? To be clear, I'm not saying these drives should be expected to fail after 250 days (they came with a 5 year warranty, after all); I'm just pointing out that they're rated for a reason, and if they fail they're within very close proximity to both NAND flash and other important componentry.

Also, can I point out that I said "10 years (especially if they were in a hot environment) is quite a long time"? Seems like we're in agreement on that one, in that high temperatures are bad and you don't know the provenance of a random eBay drive.

I linked to two official docs: the specs from Intel (which have a specific means of tracking PLP health), and the datasheet from the cap manufacturer.

I also recommended the S3710 over the S3700 ("at least go for the S3710") myself. The PM863/SM863 use tantalum caps for their PLP, which are less susceptible to problems over time. They're also commonly rated for higher maximum temperatures (e.g. 125 C), but I can't find a datasheet for the specific ones used in the PM/SM863 lines. I would also note that I have a 1.92TB SM863a myself with ~184TB of host writes which is still showing 99% health in CDI and "0%" for the "Percentage Used Endurance Indicator" SMART attribute, so they're also quite hardy drives.

I also said that generally I don't think these are a good deal, even if you put aside concerns over PLP/caps. You're paying about as much for a ~10 year old SATA SSD as for a brand new 1TB NVMe with a 3/5 year warranty. Again, however, I do recognise there are some use cases where people need a SATA drive, so I'm not saying they're of no value; just that I wouldn't recommend them unless you have no other options (and even in that case, get the S3710 or something newer).

nk215

Oct 6, 2015
I really like Intel enterprise SSD. I have a bunch of X-25E (both 32GB and 64GB) that are boot drives in my "mission critical" machine running 24/7 for years now. Just about everything was upgraded but the boot drives remain and continue to do a great job. I also have an X-25E 32GB that works as a log drive.

When I needed additional SSD storage (years ago), I bought a bunch of S3700 400GB drives and 2 of them are still being used today. I have a few consumer drives with similar ages that failed over the same time period.

if there is a need for SSD, I would buy S3710 (and even an S3700 if the price is right). For the majority of users, there's no real difference in user experience between when their VMs are hosted on an array of good SSDs or an array of VNMe drives.