EXPIRED 1.5TB P4800X $300

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
Yeah those are the full height bracket models I mentioned, the $300 set were low profile. I can definitely mod a generic bracket for $50.
My bad...i missed that detail.
Seems like charging a lot extra for cards with tall brackets vs low profile ones is a trend now.

Reactions: Samir and Layla

mpepper

Nov 22, 2020
One thing to keep in mind with these deals, that I've experienced twice now is they are usually dead cards/untested. Twice now I've received dead P4800X 1.5TB AICs that were DOA but within the warranty period and Intel honored them no questions asked. That being said I snagged one of these and will report on the stats when it arrives.

nexox

May 3, 2023
After a brief detour thanks to USPS my p4800x arrived, padded well but without any antistatic materials, it comes up as expected, but I happened to notice one of the extremely tiny decoupling caps on the fourth PCIe lane was stuck on at an angle, so I checked and sure enough:

Code:
LnkSta: Speed 8GT/s (ok), Width x2 (downgraded)
Weirdly the smart log shows ~7500 power on hours and 80 power cycles but only 26,000 read commands and zero writes.

Time to find my 10x binocular microscope and see how small my soldering iron tips go, the warranty still has 6 months left so perhaps I'll see if Intel will take care of it for me.

• Sad
Reactions: Layla

heromode

May 25, 2020
I did a general 'Intel Optane -M10 -H20 -H10 -16GB -16G' search on a site that searched all the ebay's at once, and was struck there are just massive amounts of all these AIC and U.2 optane drives available.

And the price range is also completely crazy, from $150 up to several thousands of dollars for the same drive, and everything in between

I think there's something very strange going on.

oldfett

Jul 20, 2016
I ordered one as well. As indicated above it came well packaged but without any kind of antistatic packaging.

Unfortunately mine seems pretty dead and warranty is expired. Lspci can see the controller, but intel toolkit and nvme tools don't see the drive.

mpepper

Nov 22, 2020
I ordered one as well. As indicated above it came well packaged but without any kind of antistatic packaging.

Unfortunately mine seems pretty dead and warranty is expired. Lspci can see the controller, but intel toolkit and nvme tools don't see the drive.
Probably worth reaching out to Intel and asking for a replacement. They have stock that isn't going to enterprise because enterprise has already replaced them with items that have inventory!

RDshift

May 6, 2021
Mine was DOA as well, and again on the no antistatic protection. Short or malfunctioning. Lenovo wouldn't even boot with it - beep code was 3 short 1 long, which is memory but w/e. AMD platform didn't see it, Supermicro didn't see it either. It had experienced numerous bangs on the BOTTOM which I found odd - if it had truly come from a server environment, it would have just been sitting, not dropped repeated onto other metal things - just an operating theory.
I didn't check lspci, I just looked at Intel toolkit and Win Device Manager and didn't see it.

oldfett

Jul 20, 2016
The seller extremely quickly offered a refund and didn't want it back. So maybe they knew they were suspect? I didn't specifically ask for a refund, I just asked if they had any thoughts or if they had a known working one I could swap with.

I also opened an Intel ticket. I feel bad attempting to double dip but I was super excited about this drive to play with. Who knows, maybe Intel has some fun ideas like light a single candle, walk around it counter-clockwise 4 times and call it a good boy?

Reactions: RDshift and nexox

RDshift

May 6, 2021
Same. Got my refund now, and that equates to a positive review for this guy. Does honest (hesitant benefit of the doubt...) business and doesn't fight you on making it right.
I'm very glad you mentioned your refund experience because I hate having to go through all that just to ship it back again.

RDshift

May 6, 2021
One thing to keep in mind with these deals, that I've experienced twice now is they are usually dead cards/untested. Twice now I've received dead P4800X 1.5TB AICs that were DOA but within the warranty period and Intel honored them no questions asked. That being said I snagged one of these and will report on the stats when it arrives.
They asked me for Proof of Purchase. @mpepper What did you do?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Proof of purchase? On this old thing, sorry we don't have those records... what can you do for me?

;)

Sounds like they're from a system that shorted or got over powered and everything is questionable... good seller though! That's great.

Reactions: RDshift

mpepper

Nov 22, 2020
They asked me for Proof of Purchase. @mpepper What did you do?
They asked me the same once and I told them it came from eBay and sent them the order from eBay. The other time they didn't ask at all. Mine just showed up tonight. Will update in the next few hours if this one is also DOA.

Edited to include my previous skirting of the "where did you get this from" question:

1705452973558.png

Last edited:

mpepper

Nov 22, 2020
Update:

Drive came well packaged in no less than four USPS priority bags.. though no anti-static wrapping.

Serial number still has 8 months of warranty remaining according to Intel support.

Drive powered up immediately and updated the firmware to E2010603.

SMART information shows very little usage. Only 1800 powered on hours and only a few GBs written and 120MBs read. All in all an excellent deal for my low-ball 225$ offer.
1000001715.png

• Love
Reactions: RDshift and nexox