windows server 2012

1. Larson

Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Intel RST) Slow to Initialize

Hello all, I have a Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 running Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials lost network connection in the middle of the night, but got it back after a reboot. However, Intel RST icon in the task tray shows "Initializing" and it's doing it very slowly - only 8% after 1hr. Can...
  2. marcoi

Help - Is it possible to have a backup DNS server

I currently have a WS2012R2 Essentials VM running at home. It has AD and DNS on it. All the computers connecting to it (windows based) are on it's domain. When ever i need to stop the server to do work, i lose DNS and it makes working with server names impossible since nothing there to respond...
  3. marcoi

Need help brainstorming home storage

Well due to the Great deals section, I just got 4 x 8TB hard drives which is now making me think of how to set it up in my home environment. I don't have a lot of content to store. Most of my home files are stored in VM WS2012r2 Essentials server with two 6TB drives. One hdd is used for content...
  4. M

Operating System Dependency on BIOS

First things first. I am a software developer trying to learn hardware. I hope my question is clear and concise. I am open to feedback in this regard. Problem: I built a server using the Tyan S8236WGM3NR-IL based upon the AMD SR5690 chipset. I want to install Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter...
  5. M

Low 10GB speeds between direct attached servers

Hi, I have a Windows server 2012 R2 installation on a Dell R710 with an Intel AF DA nic in an x8 slot. I also have an OmniOS installation on a Supermicro X8DTH with an Intel X520-DA2. These devices are directly connected on a 10.10.10.0/24 subnet using Twinax. Both are configured with large...
  6. J

What is perc controller and why i need perc controller to configure raid?

Dear Friends, We planned to buy one dell power edge server. In the quote of the server i seen this perc controller. I don't know what is perc controller, and why it need to configure raid. Please share your knowledge guys. Thanks, Junior admin.
  7. J

Advantages of ssd as a OS drive for servers

Dear friends, Guys, we going to build a hardware for windows server 2012. So i need to know the advantages of SSD be a OS drive over HDD be a OS drive. Except fast booting, low power consumption, light weight and no noise, ssd have any other features or not? Thanks, Junior admin.
  8. A

IBM x3650 M3 Rackserver - What configuration for VMHost

Hi community I need a Server for hosting several virtual machines. I want to run 3-5 Linux systems (mostly Debian) VMs for webserver, database, GitLab, ldap and also a fileserver. I can choose between these two servers: 1. IBM x3650 M3 Rackserver 1x Intel Xeon E5645 Hexa Core 2.40GHz 64GB...
  9. B

Which RAID Controller for DL380 G7 as HomeLab?

Hello everyone, this is my first post in this forum and i am looking forward that some of you might help me do decide. I've got an HP DL380G7 (with LFF Bays) and want to populate him as a ESXi Host with an Windows Server 2012 R2 Guest as a DC and Storage Server for my home lab and several...