Search results

1. L

Post your DIY storage builds here w/ Pics

ha! i was waiting for someone to ask....didnt have to wait too long :). it was actually free! during comic con, they gave these out for free just by 'agreeing' you will tweet that the A8 is that good. low and behold, thats what started it and what made it into my build. An A6 would probably...
  2. L

Post your DIY storage builds here w/ Pics

Build’s Name: SBS (Small Beastly Server!) -- till i find something more witty. :) But windows just calls it SERVER Operating System/ Storage Platform: Host: Windows 2012 w/ Hyper-V | Home Server 2011 | Server 2012 | Windows 8 | (testing) SBS 2012 CPU: AMD A8 3870K Motherboard: Gigabyte...
  3. L

Interesting Windows Server 2012 LSI SAS2308 Controller Results

interesting results indeed, thanks for posting this!
  4. L

Windows Server 2012 Plans

windows 2012 in an mITX build for my NAS and media server. Running Hyper-V w/(1 x server 2012 vm, 1 x Windows 8 vm, 1 x WHS2011 vm, 1 x Ubuntu 12.01). So far, things have been pretty solid. I have storage spaces set up but dont have any disks in HW RAID. Pool 1 - mirrored 4TB drives...
  5. L

Windows Server 2012 - GUI a Step Forward or?

been using 2012 for at least a month now...and man, it was terrible in the beginning. ive gotten used to several things which i normally go into often, but its still a learning curve. for the most part its just windows, but them moving things around is driving me nuts!
  6. L

IBM M1015 Experiences

cool. thanks for the link. are there power connectors on the card? tried doing a quick search on the webs, but did not identify whether i can plug directly onto the m1015.
  7. L

IBM M1015 Experiences

turns out my berzerko fans were due to the mobo driver. i since then actually shut off the server completely rather than restart and that seem to have done it -- odd maybe it needed a full shutdown to "switch" on this config. the card still runs hot, but not overbearingly hot.
  8. L

IBM M1015 Experiences

for sure going to look for some cooling options. pretty good card so far.
  9. L

IBM M1015 Experiences

Looks like I'm up and running. :) sever 2012 and a couple of storage pools and so far so good. Bit man oh man this m1015 runs pretty hot. I think it's actually setting off my CPU temp sensor so my CPU fan goes bezerk. I don't remember my CPU fan blowing in overdrive before the card. Then again I...
  10. L

IBM M1015 Experiences

Alright done, back to IT mode w/o bios. Just to note, I am doing the flashing on old dell optiplex 745 w/ubuntu loaded. And yes, this thing now just totally boots right into the OS! Now I'll have to bring into my windoze server to and do some cleanup. server 2012 is VERY counterintuitive -...
  11. L

IBM M1015 Experiences

Hmm. Placed the ssd back on the mobo and my hdds on the card. Now server 2012 just hangs at 'loading Operating system' One thing I'm curious when I flashed to IT was that I included the bios. Could this be the culprit?
  12. L

IBM M1015 Experiences

mobilenvidia, ahhh, i see what youre saying. I guess i misunderstood the modes. IT just allows the OS to see the drives and not boot. okay now that makes sense. i do have an Intel SSD that was on my mobo controller and now it makes sense that the m1015 didnt know what the heck to do when i...
  13. L

IBM M1015 Experiences

hi there, thanks to this site i was able to flash my m1015 to IT mode. I performed on it on a dell optiplex 745 of all things. so now i transfered the card to my server and thought maybe i would just be able to setup the bios to look for the card and unplug my OS drive (ssd w/server 2012) and...
  14. L

IBM M5015 experiences

doh!! yes i clicked the wrong thread!
  15. L

IBM M5015 experiences

hi folks, thanks to this thread i just flashed my m1015 to IT mode. but darn, i shouldve came in here and read a bit more carefully. im putting this in a server 2012 box and realized there are 2012 drivers! i actually just used the guide on this forum and the drivers from...
  16. L

Anybody try out Storage Spaces?

Been using spaces for about a month. I guess you can say in test mode. So far it seems be okay. I have 2 4tb hitachis in spaces mirrored hooked up to mobo ports no raid. Writes look to be around 80MBs. Not really looking for insane performance on my server, just something for storage and...
  17. L

n00b and questions on M5014 and M1015

definitely one card to look for the future.
  18. L

Storage Spaces vs. RAID

thanks for the link. interesting read. I have my server set up with Spaces and ReFS and get decent writes to my 4TB deskstars ~ 80MBs. I am not using RAID, just connected straight to mb controller. have yet to see it go offline, but at the same time i havent kept my server online 24/7 since...
  19. L

thanks. looks i'll stick with a m1015 for now and budget for a m5014 in the future.
  20. L

Thanks for the reply guys! The M5014 is very attractive I must say. However, is it really Raid ONLY?