Post your DIY storage builds here w/ Pics

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
Per patrick's request post with the following mockup but add pictures, I'll add my build once I get it complete in a few months

Build’s Name:
Operating System/ Storage Platform:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Chassis:
Drives:
RAM:
Add-in Cards:
Power Supply:
Other Bits:

Usage Profile: (What you use the box for, please keep this clean)

Other information… feel free to write away.

Here is an example for those looking at how one can fill this out

Build’s Name: The Big WHS
Operating System/ Storage Platform: Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Home Server in Hyper-V
CPU: Core i7-920
Motherboard: Supermicro X8ST3-F
Chassis: Norco RPC-4020
Drives: 20x Hitachi 7K2000, 2x Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB
RAM: 12GB Patriot Viper 1600
Add-in Cards: Intel Pro/1000 PT Quad, Areca 1680LP, HP SAS Expander
Power Supply: Antec 1000w
Other Bits: 26†Rack Rails

Usage Profile: Back-ups, remote file access, hosting Windows 7 VM’s for MacBook Air 11.6†Remote Desktop Connection

Other information…
One can see more information on this build here.

low858

Oct 10, 2012
Build’s Name: SBS (Small Beastly Server!) -- till i find something more witty. :) But windows just calls it SERVER
Operating System/ Storage Platform: Host: Windows 2012 w/ Hyper-V | Home Server 2011 | Server 2012 | Windows 8 | (testing) SBS 2012
CPU: AMD A8 3870K
Motherboard: Gigabyte A75N USB3
Chassis: Fractal Designs Array R2
Drives: Intel SSD 120GB | (1) WD5000HHTZ (2) 7K4000 - 3TB mirror, 500GB x2 partition (3) ST3000DM001.14 - Mirror (I think!)
RAM: 16GB Corsair
Add-in Cards: IBM M1050 - IT mode
Power Supply: Stock but I think its a variation of the Be Quiet! bn134 SFX Power 350W

Other Bits:
- Noctua NH-L9a for cooling. (this is actually on order since I cant stand the stock A8 cpu cooler)
- Using Storage Spaces for mirroring/parity.
- AE3000 for USB WiFi

Usage Profile: Time Machine Backups from 2 MBPs. Critical file storage. Photo and Video storage - I work with a ton of raw files. Media Server. And mess around, work RDP sessions.

Other information…
Just really wanted to get back into building again after a long hiatus. :) My, have things changed! Anyhoot, just looking to combine both a media server (looking to end Netflix subscription) and storage server for all my photos and raw files. Do a lot of photography and just wasnt organized enough to have a good workflow and storage method to move and save all my files somewhere so that was the big push. I think I built something thats a tad overkill :).

Future plans: Adding local backup and an offisite DR backup location. I know, its really "NOT" that critical but its because I can thats what makes it fun!
Will post pics ASAP...they're all on my phone.

Last edited:

low858

Oct 10, 2012
very nice

interesting choice on the APU build, why'd you go that route instead of a more traditional phenom or opteron build? just curious

reserving this for my build
ha! i was waiting for someone to ask....didnt have to wait too long :). it was actually free! during comic con, they gave these out for free just by 'agreeing' you will tweet that the A8 is that good. low and behold, thats what started it and what made it into my build. An A6 would probably be enough but once the ball starts rolling.... :)

edit: oh and there were giving out complementary motherboads too, but they didnt have as many MBs and they did chips.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I really like the APU idea in general.

BTW... does it make sense to have one thread or multiple threads?

Andreas

Aug 21, 2012
Build’s Name: NextGen Homeserver
Operating System/ Storage Platform: Win Server 2012
CPU: E3-1245v2
Motherboard: ASUS P8C WS
Chassis: Lian Li 343B
Drives: 2x120GB Vertex3 (mirrored), 24 x 3 TB Western Digital (2 x Raid5 à 33TB)
RAM: 32 GB (4 x 8 GB Kingston ECC)
Add-in Cards: Adaptec 72405 Raid Controller (plus AFM-700 Flash Module as "BBU"), Intel i340 4x1Gbit
Power Supply: Enermax 600W
Other Bits: n/a
Usage Profile: Storagespace for all digital, 6-7 VMs, some of them with static IP addresses in the public internet

Other information:
150 Watt @plug outlet when idle (all disks spinning),
server is basically silent
disk deduplication saved on one volume >4 TB (from 12 TB)
Connected with 4x1Gbit to home network
old server (18x2TB) is currently the backupserver

rgds,
Andy

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
I really like the APU idea in general.

BTW... does it make sense to have one thread or multiple threads?
1 thread and multiple threads :D.

How about a core "showcase" thread with links to owners own build threads (if they have them) for discussion. This way it leaves the showcase thread pretty clean for pics and build details only rather than general discussion and links to dedicated threads for specific discussions on the builds for those who want to dig deeper. Of course you may need some way of keeping the integrety of the showcase thread :).

RB

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
haha very very nice.

@Rimblock - links to people's build logs could work too.
Having seen threads like this on various subjects decend in to general chit chat when all we want is to slobber over pics of hardware, like any good geek, it would keep it cleaner. You thread though :D.

RB

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Since this thread was recently revived...

Build’s Name: RAIDzilla II
Operating System/ Storage Platform: FreeBSD 10.2 / ZFS
CPU: 2 * Intel Xeon E5520
Motherboard: Supermicro X8DTH-iF
Chassis: CI Design NSR316
Drives: 16 * WD2003FYYS 2TB (storage) + 2 * WD3200BEKT (OS)
RAM: 6 * HMT31GR7AFR4C-H9 (48GB total)
Add-in Cards: 3Ware 9650SE-16ML, LSI 9200-8e (for LTO library), Intel X540-T1 10GbE, OCZ Velodrive VD-HHPX8-300G PCIe SSD
Power Supply: 2 * 820W 3Y Power hot-swap
Other Bits: Slot-load DVD drive, Dell PowerVault TL4000 48-slot LTO-4 library

Usage Profile: Backup server, video archiving (cameras on my race car), CD image storage, misc.

Other information: This is actually a 5 year old design at this point - the first one was constructed in April 2010 to replace my aging RAIDzilla systems from 2004. At this point I have 4 of them running here (128TB). I have a somewhat out-of-date detailed writeup here - it doesn't mention the 10Gbe cards or some other upgrades.

My plan is to do a "mid-life kicker" of these systems, upgrading the CPUs to something in the Xeon 5600 series (it would be nice if X5680's got cheap enough), doubling the RAM to 96GB, and replacing the 2TB data drives with higher-capacity ones (perhaps 6TB if I do this relatively soon, otherwise 8TB or 10TB down the road).

Here are two pictures of the RAIDzilla II - there's lots more info at the detailed writeup link above:

Here is a slightly out-of-date picture of 4 RAIDzilla II's in cabinets with lots of other equipment:

Last edited: