n00b and questions on M5014 and M1015

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

low858

Oct 10, 2012
Hi folks,

Just thought id do a quick introduction after absorbing a lot of info from the site, i'd thought it was time to go from stalker status to registered user. :)

Anyhoot, i am building a new server that will house a 'backup' to my files. It will also serve/store movies in my home. Its been while since i've done a server build but i wanted to get back in it after learning about server 2012 and its new features. I think my server is a bit of overkill, but its hard to restrain a techie from all these goodies.

right now my server is up and running like this:

Specs for server:
Windows Server 2012 w/hyper-V
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A75N-USB3
CPU: AMD A8 3870
16 GB DDR3
(1) Intel SSD on Sata1-Host
(1) WD RE3 on Sata 2-VMs (server 2012, WHS2011, W8)
(2) Hitachi HDD 4TB on Sata 3 & 4- storage

I would like to expand the storage space in my server but I am out of Sata Ports so I am looking into getting either M5014 and M1015 but heres the catcher, I do not need RAID at this time as I would just like to have Server 2012 and ReFS handle the storage pools.

I was thinking the M1015 in IT mode should do well in this case but i may want to do RAID in the future. So, I came accross the M5014 article and thought maybe this would be a better bang for the buck. My questions are; can the M5014 be flashed to IT/IR in the same manner as the M1015? Any suggestions at this point between the two cards?

Again, I know my server is a bit overkill, but I had parts and I'm motivated at this time (till the wife finds out how much i spent, lol!). I'm really just looking to put on the spindles (maybe leave the SSD on the mobo) and the addition with more disks on the Host controller rather than on the MB. I guess the main goal here is to have a solid performing server.

Suggestions welcomed...:)

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
The M5014 is best bang for buck by far, you'll be hard pressed to get a M1015 for the same price now.

M5014/5 = RAID only, no way round it, single drive you setup as a single RAID0 array
I can't remember if you can take this drive and it still works on an onboard controller as as well (normally RAID doesn't)

Get a M1015 now for your IT you can always grab a M5014 later, and either add to or replace (but loose IT mode) M1015

low858

Oct 10, 2012
Thanks for the reply guys! The M5014 is very attractive I must say. However, is it really Raid ONLY?