Search results

1. X

Not that I'm asking for help (ASRock Rack & "vertical" CMOS battery)...

Yeah, literally figured it out myself 10 seconds ago and rushed back here before anyone could embarrass me.... :rolleyes:
  2. X

Not that I'm asking for help (ASRock Rack & "vertical" CMOS battery)...

...but I'd rather not break my motherboard or fingers. Pic related, not same board but with same CMOS battery setup. Shoud I push, pull or both? Image credit: https://www.servethehome.com/asrock-rack-am5d4id-2t-bcm-review-an-awesome-amd-ryzen-server-motherboard-broadcom/
  3. X

Indexed archive & what happened to Dmitrij's router reviews?

A couple of things that have been bothering me somehow 1) Some kind of indexed archive structure for news/reviews would be nice, for example now you have to click all the way to page 11 if you wanna read this review from 2017...
  4. X

Router Advice

A x86 Thin cliet (HP T620 Plus/Fujitsu S720/920) & quad NIC for 100 or less and a OpenWRT -supported AP for 50? The latter might need some dumpster diving and make sure the thin client comes with all the necessities for PCIe cards (riser etc.)
  5. X

Why people are selling ancient server?

OK, not in the market for one right now and points for dodging the STH Effect.
  6. X

OEM stuff or magic search keywords? And I forgot where we are, should have only mentioned 400G :D It's just the home networking stagnation turbocharged with COVID era supply/hardware scarity that irks me greatly.
  7. X

Not only cooling & power consumption but also price. Had a check lately on DDR5 RDIMM board prices (Sapphire Rapids) and my nose is still bleeding...I mean in the old days you could buy a top platform (E5 V2/V3/V4/Skylake-SP) poverty-spec MB for roughly 300 EUR/USD, get a cheap ES/QS CPU for it...
  8. X

Broadcom Tomahawk 5 based 51.2T Bailly Co-Packaged Optics Switch Shown

Datacenters get CPO, 800 GbE and NVME-oF, we peasants get GPON/LTE, 10 GbE switches from 2017 and whatever QLC crap manufacturers could source from their scrap heap...lovely. :)
  9. X

Hard Drive Failure rates by Backblaze

There's been some rumors on how HGST used to run their own R&D slash QC unit in San Jose, no idea if there's any truth in that or did it survive the move under WD's umbrella. Was that the reason behing HGST making arguably the most reliable drives year after year? Who knows. Also, who knows...
  10. X

Patrick's 2021 Fiber Build-out

I hate to be that guy, but how's this thing going? 100G flying through floors quicker than average STH user can utter out "COPPER!" ;) @Patrick
  11. X

EU Cheap Ruckus ZoneDirector 1100

≥ Ruckus Zonedirector 3000 Wireless Controller, ZD3000 — Accesspoints — Marktplaats There's seemingly(?) a beefier one with PCI or PCIe expansion slot for not much more (85 €), depending on hardware could make a nice, rack-mountable router with OpenWRT just like 1100. Of course porting it can...
  12. X

EdgeRouter 4 w/OpenWrt

Yeah, depending on use case and so on, HW being EOL doesn't necessary mean that things suddenly go south or you should trash perfectly fine running hardware, even when we are talking about network gear. However at this time I wanted to avoid the "Ubiquiti Experience" altogether so going all-in...
  13. X

EdgeRouter 4 w/OpenWrt

Not ER-4, but I've been running an ER-X in a similar "deploy at your (grand)parents house and check once a year if wall wart PSU is still fine" situation plus AC AP Lite with OpenWRT for months now with no issues whatsoever. Reasoning was quite similar with you, EdgeOS being EOL since early 2020...
  14. X

M.2 NVMe's on Proxmox: pool vs array vs insanity?!?

My two cents: 1. What NVMe drives are you running? QLC drives with limited cache might cause issues with ZFS 2. Can you test the drives with other ZFS version, older OpenZFS or even with Solaris ZFS?
  15. X

Welcome to the Intel Ice Lake D Era with the Xeon D-2700 and D-1700 series

One thing what surprises me is the timing, as the platform is marketed as long-life for edge, why not push back release a bit and go straight for Golden Cove / DDR5 platform, like they did with original Xeon D by releasing it before Broadwell-EP? Maybe they feel going DDR5 is just too risky or...
  16. X

Welcome to the Intel Ice Lake D Era with the Xeon D-2700 and D-1700 series

Well...considering the current market where bread-and-butter "big socket" Xeon boards are starting from 400 Euros, a Intel 10nm embedded board literally loaded with top-notch I/O won't definitely come cheap. Especially when that 10nm process still seems anything but robust and optimized. Or has...
  17. X

EU Kioxia KHK61RSE1T92 (1.92 Tb, SATA III) = 135 GBP

...and after two weeks in use the drive is churring nicely and has racked up hours as it should. Made in February '20, had zero GB's written so I'm 99,99% convinced of it being a new drive. One small caution though; CrystalDiskInfo doesn't recognize the drive, other S.M.A.R.T applications...
  18. X

Xeon E5-v4 for 1S workstation? 1660, 2667, 2687w, 2689?

I appreciate your knowledge in this subject, and your argument about paste TIM being good enough for 3/5/7-year server lifetime is valid. And to make things clear, I should have written that in the video I posted "gallium which is almost equal in heat dissipation to factory indium solder", I...
  19. X

Then tell me why thermal performance improved several degress in the video I posted when original TIM was replaced with liquid metal? Or why has Intel as least tested it in some LGA4189 CPU's? Or why AMD still uses indium TIM if there's no advantages doing so?
  20. X

While I don't want turn this into a heated (pun intended) argument, I beg to differ with you about the TIM question. The thermal paste TIM simply can't be as effective as indium or liquid metal nor have an adequate lifetime performace as they dry out sooner or later. The absolute performance...