Search results

1. B

Two Different E5-2600 CPUs Possible on the Same Supermicro Motherboard?

Thank you both. I think I will just go with an E5-2670 v1 dualy machine.
  2. B

Two Different E5-2600 CPUs Possible on the Same Supermicro Motherboard?

Is it possible to run two different E5-2600 v1 family CPUs on the same Supermicro C602 chipset motherboard? For example, would it be possible to run an E5-2670 in CPU1 and an E5-2780 in CPU2 on a dual Xeom Supermicro motherboard? Same memory for both CPUs.
  3. B

Different E5-2600 v1 CPUs on the same dual Xeon motherboard?

Is it possible to run two different E5-2600 family CPUs on the same C602 chipset motherboard? For example, would it be possible to run an E5-2670 in CPU1 and an E5-2780 in CPU2? Same memory for both CPUs.
  4. B

Inexpensive Tower Case for Supermicro X9DRi-LN4F Motherboard

I am the likely recipient of a Supermicro X9DRi-LN4F. It seems to have some rather large and odd dimensions. The other dual 2011 systems on our network use Phantek Erthoo Pro or Corsair Obsidian cases with motherboards that measure 12" x 13". The X9DRi-LN4F is 13" by 13.68". Mounting screw...
  5. B

Turning a basic "clean" W7 platform into a NAS - Help Please

Why Windows 7? That's a GREAT question. I have activation codes for W7 and upgrades to W10 at a later date. I also have much more experience with W7. I am migrating FROM an original Windows Home Server (2003)? It's long in the tooth and I'm worried about capacity and reliability with that...
  6. B

GOT IT!!! Thanks!! I was not setting access for "Everyone" correctly.
  7. B

I just set up a 3T drive for sharing using shrpubw.exe and set custom permissions to full access for everyone. And got into Network sharing and turned off password protected sharing to allow evryone to share without the burden of a password. I can "see" the drive from the client side, but...
  8. B

I'm having trouble setting up a Windows 7 Ultimate computer into a NAS. Serious trouble. I've tried a lot of combinations without any success. I've tried sharing, and turing off password protect. I seem to be able to allow "Everyone" full access, but that doesn't seem to apply to users on...
  9. B

Upgrade workstations

The Intel board seems faster in ALL applications. I am significantly underwhemled with the ASRock system speed and stability compared to the older, used Intel motherboard-based system. Thinking of swapping the E52670 procs from the ASRock board onto the Intel board. That might give a tiny...
  10. B

Upgrade workstations

Thank you for your comments. From my perspective, both systems are beasts. Stable, robust. Battle-proven warriors. Yes, they are old. They were old when I built them a few years ago. But I've never had more stable systems in the 40 years or so that I've been fooling around with...
  11. B

Upgrade workstations

I have two workstations that I would like to upgrade. The first is an ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16 motherboard with 2 x E5-2670 (v1), 32GB and a GTX970 video card running Win7 Ult. The second is an Intel S2600CP2J motherboard with 2 x E5-2665 (v1), 64GB and a GTX750TI running Win10Pro. Both use SATA...
  12. B

One year (or so) and counting report

Last year I decided to try one of the "massively multicore" builds using am ASRock Rack EP2C602-4L/D16 motherboard and a couple of E5-2670 processors. Stuck in 32gb of ECC RAM, GTX 970 video, some kind of mid-range audio card (no pun intended) and a USB expansion card. Used an EVGA 850 B2 (or...
  13. B

One-Year Report

Greetings Fellow Servinators and Work Stationators, Mid-summer 2016 I decided to build a faster, more powerful desk-top computer for general use and [very] light gaming (MS Flight Simulator X). I wanted a system that would not have much, if any, lag and enough CPU horsepower that I wouldn't...
  14. B

Trouble whilst building workstation with X9DR3-LN4F+ sm board

Check the documentation to see if you are placing 4 sticks of memory, one in each memory channel, for each CPU. Four per CPU. Try to stay in the same channel as the failed slot(s). It might work. BIOS should report whether you are getting a full four channel memory operation per CPU.
  15. B

Did you place the memory sticks in slots that would balance the amount of memory for each CPU in the appropriate channels to at least attempt to give you 4 channel memory access per CPU? There are a whole lota mem slots on that mb.
  16. B

IF, just if, the system fails after working with the first 3 sticks (3 sticks per channel in the correct order) for each CPU and it doesn't matter which CPU gets the next stick of memory, then it's possible that a voltage regulator for the upper memory channels may be bad. Since it's an ebay...
  17. B

Latest build - Trying S2600CP2J, will document build

I'm using a very small 950TI and it fits fine of the long PCIe slot. Others seem to be using the short open-ended slots. IMO, care needs to be taken to determine which open slot is better since they are on different CPUs. It appears that CPU1 handles I/O and OS tasks while CPU2 handles...
  18. B

Latest build - Trying S2600CP2J, will document build

Update on "fan panic" - Tried more FRUSDR settings. It seems the S2600CP2J does NOT like the Enthoo Pro fan controller. When it was removed from a SDR defined fan header, the CPU fans operated slowly and not like an aircraft carrier take-off. So the stock fans (3-pin non-PMW) for the...
  19. B

Have you tried putting ony 7 sticks in? 3 for on CPU1, 4 for CPU2? If that fails, try 3 in CPU2 and 4 in CPU1. It might be one of the CPUs or one of the slots. If one of those two configurations work, try switching the CPUs to the other sockets (CPU1 to socket 2, and vice versa). At least...
  20. B

Longevity of S2600CP2J

With all the used S2600CP2J MBs available, is there any trends indicating a pattern of failures? Anyone experiencing failures or age-related issues? I know the boards are solid, but they are also old. The reason I ask is that I now need to replace an aging [original] Windows Home Server that...