Search results

1. Hjalti Atlason

Rclone in a jail and set up a Cron Job

Hey I´m trying to set up a Cron Job in a jail on a Freenas server which runs Rclone and dumps backup files to Google Drive (offsite backup) and wanted to check if anyone at STH is a Cron Job pro (i'm more of a nix hobbyist) and knows how to automate this task. I'll explain what i've already...
  2. Hjalti Atlason

WPF application and Powershell

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone is doing any WPF application programming and gathering data with Powershell and store in a database ? As a sysadmin i really like gathering information with powershell but would like to store the information in a database (SQL express). Been thinking if...
  3. Hjalti Atlason

30 X 2 or 3 TB 3,5" SAS Drives

Hey guys I´m setting up a backup server in a datacenter This gear would be used as a Freenas backup server (1u Dell poweredge server) and RPC-4020 4U Rackmount Server Case with 20 Hot-Swappable SATA/SAS Drive Bays. I´m going to use an External HBA to connect the Poweredge server to the JBOD...
  4. Hjalti Atlason

RPC-4020 4U - PSU and rail options

Hey guys I was wondering if you could advice me on good PSU and Rail option for a RPC-4020 4U Rackmount Server Case with 20 Hot-Swappable SATA/SAS Drive Bays Unit. I´m thinking about buing this unit as a JBOD storage for an Offsite backup server in a datacenter. I´ll also have a dedicated 1u...
  5. Hjalti Atlason

Need advice on how-to Flash LSI SAS 9210-8i HBA Controller

Hi guys I was wondering if you could recommend a good guide on how-to flash a LSI SAS 9210-8i HBA Controller. I´m going to use it for a Freenas Fileserver (ZFS) and need to flash it to IT mode. Advice would be much appreciated.
  6. Hjalti Atlason

MS Server build for 25 users

Can you think of a good server (not too expensive) that would serve these tasks: Domain controller, Malwarebytes endpoint security (still evaluating whether to use MS Server Essentials or MS Server Standard license). Being able to have some central management of network of computers at a...
  7. Hjalti Atlason

Running ZFS on Ubuntu vs Freenas and ZFS in the cloud

Hey Guys I was thinking if anyone in this forum might answer me couple of things i don´t know the answers to myself. 1) I know you can run ZFS on a virtual machine if you do PCI passthrough (with LSI controller with the 2008 chipset). But i´m wondering who provides a good service running ZFS...
  8. Hjalti Atlason

WTB: 4 X 8 GB DDR3/DDR3L desktop Ram

WTB: 4 X 8 GB DDR3/DDR3L desktop ram (2800/2400/2133/1866/1600) Motherboard: Z97 Extreme6 http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97%20Extreme6/?cat=Memory I have a shipito U.S address in California.
  9. Hjalti Atlason

Vmware ESXI whitebox build

Hey guys I was wondering , i´m planning on building a home lab server (Vmware ESXI ATX machine) using Asrock x99 Extreme motherboard. If i buy a used Intel Xeon E5 2670 V3 from ebay will everything work Ok when i connect from the vsphere client (since the Xeon E5 2670 v3 Processor doesnt have...
  10. Hjalti Atlason

Advice on the perfect Freenas ZFS build @home - Mini-itx

Hello I was wondering if you could assist me in picking the right parts for a good Freenas ZFS build @home. I would like the build to be as silent as possible (Want to place it in my media center space and i think mini-itx form factor would be a good choice). 6-8 Tb of space storing video...