Rclone in a jail and set up a Cron Job

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Jul 2, 2016
Iceland
Hey

I´m trying to set up a Cron Job in a jail on a Freenas server which runs Rclone and dumps backup files to Google Drive (offsite backup) and wanted to check if anyone at STH is a Cron Job pro (i'm more of a nix hobbyist) and knows how to automate this task. I'll explain what i've already done

1) Create jail on the freenas server and do a pkg install rclone (Done)
2) mount a fileshare i want to backup and expose those to the jail (Done)
3) set up a Cron Job in the jail which runs Rclone and dumps the backup files to Google Drive.

First step completed (pkg install rclone)

1.JPG

I´ve mounted a fileshare on the Freenas server to the jail (files called testfile.txt and textfile2.txt are now visable in the jail from the Freenas fileshare).

2.JPG

Needed to make my own client_id to be able to use rclone with Google drive (authentication).
I´ve connected to Google drive from the Jail , now i need to set up a Cron Job in the jail which runs Rclone and dumps the backup files to Google Drive.

Any clever ideas ?

3.JPG

mjt5282

Jul 18, 2015
I also have an all-purpose jail called 'util' in which I have a crontab that runs rclone to sync/backup some of my files to Amazon Cloud Drive. My files are already mounted on /media . looking at the error in your terminal it appears that some sort of google config has to take place in your jail, probably for authentication purposes.

Reactions: Hjalti Atlason
Jul 2, 2016
Iceland
I also have an all-purpose jail called 'util' in which I have a crontab that runs rclone to sync/backup some of my files to Amazon Cloud Drive. My files are already mounted on /media . looking at the error in your terminal it appears that some sort of google config has to take place in your jail, probably for authentication purposes.
Yeah , i decided to do the set up again , second time does the charm in my case i guess (might have messed something up at first). At least i have no problems using rclone copy and rclone sync command from the freenas server to Google Drive. decided to jump on the Rclone wagon since i was already starting to manage files in Office365,Google Drive and Amazon S3 with Rclone.

I´m still learning how to use Rclone properly (which --Flags to use ). I have small scripts at the moment but i need to work on my skills (i'm too lazy to do things manually).