Search results

1. JDM

Chassis Activity Light Behavior

So I have a Supermicro SC216 chassis with a BPN-SAS2-216EL1 expander. The chassis houses a VM server that has the fast SSDs in PCIe slots and the bulk storage (for things like surveillance VM storage, nextcloud VM storage, etc) loaded into the 2.5" front drive slots. I chose 250GB WD Blue...
  2. JDM

Interesting Proxmox Disk Usage

So I recently stood up a Promox 5.1 hypervisor with ZFS mirror Intel 900p Optane disks for VM local disk storage, and some 2.5" spinning drives using raidz2. Pools are fine and healthy, and Proxmox is seeing them and using them with no issue. However when I run my df -h on the hypervisor as I...
  3. JDM

RAM Check on Xeon Silver Build

Build’s Name: Xeon Scaleable/NVME/(Optane?) Proxmox Build Operating System/ Storage Platform: Proxmox (Debian) CPU: Intel Xeon Silver 4114 Motherboard: Supermicro X11SPH-nCTPF Chassis: Supermicro SC216 Drives: 128GB Intel 600p (Hypervisor OS); 2 x (900p Optane or P3520 NVME)? for VM's OS; 24 x...
  4. JDM

NVME Drive for VM Storage

Preparing to build a VM server running Proxmox here in the nearish future (hopefully next 1-2 months). Trying to decide which NVME drives to use in the build. I'll have some rotational drives for bulk storage for the VM's, but for the actual OS images was planning on putting in 4 Intel NVME...
  5. JDM

Broadcom 3008 Question

Checking out Supermicro's new X11 Motherboards today, found the below board with the Broadcom 3008 chip on it. Specifications point to that it can do RAID 0,1,10, but don't specify anything about HBA/pass-through. Since it supports the RAID options it seems it's the IR, and not IT version of...
  6. JDM

Contemplating a move to FreeNAS Corral

So I've just finished up building my home and offsite storage servers (home is a 2U 12 bay supermicro, offsite is an 8 bay Norco ITX-S8) both based on ZFS on Linux, running the latest CentOS 7 updates. Things are going well and while I'm not running into any issues I'm now tempted by some of...
  7. JDM

Supermicro SC826 + Xeon D

Tax return season is coming up here soon, and I'm laying out my plans for my new ZFS storage server. Based on the amount of data I have/plan to have in the future, the SC826 should offer me plenty of hard drive bays while conserving space in my 12U rack. I was hoping to put a Supermicro...
  8. JDM

WD 8TB Red Education Pricing Available

Logged into the WD Education Store today and found they now have a promo price of $276 for their 8TB Red drives and there were some in stock.
  9. JDM

Freenas Mini XL Price Drop

Looks like IX Systems has dropped the Freenas Mini XL price down to $1349 fro $1499.99. Price change on both their site and on Amazon. FreeNAS Mini