Broadcom 3008 Question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JDM

Jun 25, 2016
Checking out Supermicro's new X11 Motherboards today, found the below board with the Broadcom 3008 chip on it. Specifications point to that it can do RAID 0,1,10, but don't specify anything about HBA/pass-through. Since it supports the RAID options it seems it's the IR, and not IT version of the chip. I'd be interested in connecting drives for use with ZFS and don't want to get stuck with a SAS chip that won't let me pass the drives through to the OS without hardware RAID. Does anybody have experience with this HBA/RAID card?

X11SPH-nCTPF | Motherboards | Products - Super Micro Computer, Inc.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I have the SAS 3008 in the X11SSH-CTF board. Using it after flashing to IT mode. I don't recall if it came in IT or IR mode. But supermicro has both IT and IT firmware available and when upgrading the firmware I flashed the IT version.

JDM

Jun 25, 2016
I have the SAS 3008 in the X11SSH-CTF board. Using it after flashing to IT mode. I don't recall if it came in IT or IR mode. But supermicro has both IT and IT firmware available and when upgrading the firmware I flashed the IT version.
Good to hear, thanks! Was that option for IT mode presented during the firmware upgrade? I only see one version of the firmware available on their site for that board.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/Firmware/UP/SAS/LSI/3008/3008_FW_PH10.00.03.00.zip

The zip file has both IT and IR versions. You flash what you need.

Reactions: vanfawx

EluRex

Apr 28, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
the latest firmware is @ ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/Driver/SAS/LSI/3008/Firmware/ but they does not work onboard lsi controller but only with AOC cards.

and x11ssh-ctf are shipped with IR mode firmware @ ph10 if you want to flash to IT mode, you may need to take a look what I have found in this thread.

Last edited:

lofie

Jul 12, 2013
the latest firmware is @ ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/Driver/SAS/LSI/3008/Firmware/ but they does not work onboard lsi controller but only with AOC cards.

and x11ssh-ctf are shipped with IR mode firmware @ ph10 if you want to flash to IT mode, you may need to take a look what I have found in this thread.
Since the linked thread starts of by quoting SM support as user flashing to IT is not really supported I checked in with SM support for confirmation of what can be done. They got back to me very quickly and you just use the firmware found here:

ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/Driver/SAS/LSI/3008/Firmware/

The uefi approach worked fine. But you do have to know the SAS address

Boot into the builtin EFI shell. Select your usb drive, "fs0:" in my case.

The included instructions do not show all the details. and only refer to X9 motherboards (also another reason for the support call to SM)
1) Please copy all files from UEFI folder to bootable USB disk

2) Run SMC3008T.nsh and following the instruction to enter the last 9 digits/character of the SAS address.

3) If you are having problem to enter the SAS address, please use the command below to set the controller SAS address.
sas3flash.efi -o –sasadd “Controller SAS address”
For example: sas3flash.efi -o –sasadd 50030480070a8b00

4) Reboot the system