Contemplating a move to FreeNAS Corral

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JDM

Jun 25, 2016
So I've just finished up building my home and offsite storage servers (home is a 2U 12 bay supermicro, offsite is an 8 bay Norco ITX-S8) both based on ZFS on Linux, running the latest CentOS 7 updates. Things are going well and while I'm not running into any issues I'm now tempted by some of the features built into FreeNAS Corral. Right now I snapshot both systems daily, retaining the snapshots for a week, and keep the home and offsite in sync via an rsync cron that runs every night (it checks to ensure the prior night isn't still running first before it launches again as I am syncing this over a 5Mbps upload on Comcast). The replication feature on FreeNAS looks slick and seems like that would better than my cron, and the UI on FreeNAS is nice, though I do enjoy my Grafana dashboards I've created for each machine. These machines are simply storage (no hypervisor duties, that's going to be a separate machine build later this year once Skylake-EP lands), the only reason I'd use the Bhyve functionality would be to allow me to run rclone (the offsite machine runs rclone to ACD) and to maybe have a Grafana instance running to monitor some things.

All that said, just trying to gauge people's thoughts on whether the switch would be worth it or not. It'll involve a fair bit of effort as I'd have to wipe one, sync data over from the other, repeat, and maybe even have to redo my completed sync (of 5.2TB) to ACD. If I were starting it all today, 90% chance I'd go straight to FreeNAS, but doing this whole change over seems a bit daunting. Thoughts?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I have not tried this yet but there are pre-made FreeNAS 10 grafana and graphite containers in the FreeNAS docker collection:
upload_2017-3-22_17-20-11.png

JDM

Jun 25, 2016
Thanks Patrick,
I spun up a couple FreeNAS Corral VM's at work late this week in vSphere and have been playing with them (and will continue to play with them) to get more comfortable with the OS. After a bit of testing though I think I'm going to stick with ZoL and CentOS for now as that's what I'm most comfortable with, and what I have isn't limiting me. I'm definitely going to keep playing with it though, the UI is very slick :)