Search results

1. N

Manually installing NSX 4.1 data center on a VSphere 8.0U2 ESXI host (homelab)

Hi everyone, I have a baremetal install of ESXi 8 and would like to use NSX 4.1 to create a multi-tenancy environment for un-nested VMs running directly on the baremetal host. Is this just a matter of installing the NSX Manager in a 3-way VM cluster and configuring the Gateways? In the back of...
  2. N

Tugm4470 - 4 x 32GB modules returned for exchange - no response for 7 days now...

Hi Everyone, Tugm4470 issued me a FedEx Waybill and Commercial Invoice for the return of 4 x 32GB 3200 RDIMM memory, to be exchanged for 2 x 64GB 2933 RDIMM memory. I then purchased 4 x 64GB 2933 RDIMM memory and when they arrived I swapped out the 4 x 32GB modules and returned them using his...
  3. N

Recommended eBay seller for used 10G SFP+ access network switches

I've been using tugm4470 to purchase excellent quality used data center equipment, such as Epyc CPUs and motherboards, memory and SSDs. However, he does not sell switches and so was wondering if many people here have good experience with sellers who stock switches. My preference would be branch...
  4. N

H12SSL-i — adding 64GB modules to 32GB modules?

This board is currently populated with 4 x 32GB DDR4 3200 Samsung and the workload (VMware VCF Holodeck) requires more than 256GB so have to populate the remaining slots with 64GB or 128GB modules. Will this mix work ok? Can I add the bigger modules one or two at a time? Could I mix Hynix with...
  5. N

VMUG Advantage - Nested lab on single ESXi host: architecture for NSX and vSan

I have an Epyc 7452 (32 cores) on a Supermicro H12SSL-i with 128GB DDR4 3200 memory and ESXi 8.0U2 installed fine and joined vCenter installed as a VM in the default vSS management portgroup. I want to install whatever is required to simulate a SDDC and cloud infrastructure, including NSX and...
  6. N

Finding an M.2 NVME SSD that fits the home/SMB NAS budget, performance and QA requirements

I've been reading across the TrueNAS, ServeTheHome and Level1Techs forums, as well as Reddit and watching YouTube, to find conversations that move the cheap NVME discussion forward for those that want either a pure NVME solution (for reasons that may cover a mix of power use, server design...
  7. N

Supermicro H12SSL-i motherboard SATA0-7 sharing PCIE with dual M.2 slots?

I'm wondering if I am interpreting this block diagram correctly: It looks to me like G2 shares lanes between SATA 0-7 and the two M.2 slots - two questions: Is this a correct interpretation? If using this SlimSAS port doesn't interfere with the M.2 slots (which will be populated for ESXi...
  8. N

Rome Epyc 16, 24 and 32 cores sub 200w TDP - 2133 vs 3200 effect on workloads that require multiprocessing over compute

Hi Everyone, When looking to buy an Epyc system from ebay I noticed that Gen 2 Rome CPUs and motherboards (for example: AMD EPYC 7452 CPU + Supermicro H12SSL-i) were often sold bundled with 2133Mhz DDR4. My initial reaction was to completely disregard these offerings because the standard on...