Search results

1. N

vmware ESXi 8 Hardware recommendations

I'm one of the many people who have built a quiet server out of used components from Chinese data centers. The great thing about these components is that they came from controlled environments with regulated temperature, conditioned power, free of moisture and dust - and the components have...
  2. N

Manually installing NSX 4.1 data center on a VSphere 8.0U2 ESXI host (homelab)

Hi everyone, I have a baremetal install of ESXi 8 and would like to use NSX 4.1 to create a multi-tenancy environment for un-nested VMs running directly on the baremetal host. Is this just a matter of installing the NSX Manager in a 3-way VM cluster and configuring the Gateways? In the back of...
  3. N

Tugm4470 - 4 x 32GB modules returned for exchange - no response for 7 days now...

Just received the two new 64GB 2933 MHz memory modules from Tugm after moving slowly across the planet during the Christmas and New Year break. Well packaged as always and identical part numbers to the four modules already sent from Tugm: Look at all that beautiful memory: Thanks, Tugm!
  4. N

Tugm4470 - 4 x 32GB modules returned for exchange - no response for 7 days now...

Hi Tugm, thank you. I was wondering if there was an issue with eBay, too. I don't have much experience with it so didn't know what to expect. Their chat tech is rudimentary at best. I didn't know you were a member of STH but should have checked and sent you a private message. In future I can...
  5. N

Hi Everyone, Tugm4470 issued me a FedEx Waybill and Commercial Invoice for the return of 4 x 32GB 3200 RDIMM memory, to be exchanged for 2 x 64GB 2933 RDIMM memory. I then purchased 4 x 64GB 2933 RDIMM memory and when they arrived I swapped out the 4 x 32GB modules and returned them using his...
  6. N

Arista DCS-7050TX-64-F - eBay US

That particular data center didn't have cold or hot isle containment and sealing every gap was not standard practice. However, ensuring front-to-rear airflow was enforced and luckily most of our access switches exhausted through the switchports. Interestingly, the Juniper and Cisco switches were...
  7. N

Arista DCS-7050TX-64-F - eBay US

That is a pretty funny comment because anyone installing a rack of regular Front-of-Rack to Rear-of-Rack (cold isle to hot isle) servers will look at F-to-R as a data center standard for edge infrastructure. For example:
  8. N

Recommended eBay seller for used 10G SFP+ access network switches

Thanks for the model recommendations. Maybe there are so many good eBay stores selling network equipment that it is difficult to make a recommendation.
  9. N

Thanks, I think I've been looking at too many 100G LR4 QSFP28 transceivers. A single small switch for a homelab. Four switchports might be enough but 8-12 is good too.
  10. N

I've been using tugm4470 to purchase excellent quality used data center equipment, such as Epyc CPUs and motherboards, memory and SSDs. However, he does not sell switches and so was wondering if many people here have good experience with sellers who stock switches. My preference would be branch...
  11. N

VMUG Advantage - Nested lab on single ESXi host: architecture for NSX and vSan

Yeah. SR-IOV - being an older technology and not specific to storage and NVME does seem to be redundant. It could be that these drives are made to provide flexible support for customers who might juggle them across different product installations. NVME and it's integration into modern CPU and...
  12. N

Coming back to nested installations of ESXi running vCentre 8, NSX 4.1 and vSan 8 I will test out with the standard vm volume then consider used data centre SSDs with NVME namespaces that can be passed through to the ESXi vSan ESA VMs.
  13. N

Yeah, it is a problem. However, the price jump to 128GB modules is high. 512GB memory is good for a 32 core Epyc. Depending on how complex the Cisco labs get I may end up with a Supermicro H11SSL-i (PCIE 3.0) or Tyan S8030GM2NE (PCIE 4.0) motherboard, Epyc Rome, and 256GB DDR4 2666MHz modules...
  14. N

Just upgraded the Epyc server by replacing the 4 x 32GB modules with 4 x 64GB modules, with another 2 x 64GB modules being added in a couple of weeks to take it to 384GB. After that I'll add another 2 x 64GB to max out the eight slots to 512GB DDR4 2933.
  15. N

H12SSL-i — adding 64GB modules to 32GB modules?

I ended up purchasing 4 x 64GB 2933MHz DDR4 RDIMM modules to go with the Epyc 7452 (32 cores). I will return the 4 x 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 RDIMM modules and use the credit to purchase another 2 x 64GB 2933MHz modules. Will then later finalise the upgrade with another 2 x 64GB 2933MHz modules, which...
  16. N

Tyan S8030GM2NE

Fortunately my H12SSL-i is Rev. 1.02. But I'll be extra careful to avoid scrapes when handling it or adding cards. I have a RX 5700 XT and don't intend replacing it anytime soon as Battlefield 3 is liquid smooth on it. That generation of Radeon doesn't have SAM, which is AMD's version of...
  17. N

Tyan S8030GM2NE

I suspected that the Epyc desktop might be a much bigger problem for Windows. Interesting to hear that the H12SSL-i has a known issue with the BMC as I've not come across any discussion about it so far. The Tyan looks like a nice board as an alternative to the H12SSL-series. It is quite a bit...
  18. N

Tyan S8030GM2NE

Thanks for the comparison. I do actually have an Epyc 7452 (32 cores, 155w TDP) on an H12SSL-i with 128GB 3200 memory (about to upgrade to 256GB) then again to max 512GB. It is running ESXi 8.0U2. I want to have a rock solid desktop that can hibernate without crashing after a month or so and...
  19. N

Tyan S8030GM2NE

Hi everyone, I am looking to put together an Epyc desktop PC to replace my Ryzen 3600 that is currently running on an mITX motherboard. I am looking at Epyc instead of Threadripper because of the value proposition of Epyc Rome. My intention is to run Windows 10 Pro on the Epyc with VMware...
  20. N

H12SSL-i — adding 64GB modules to 32GB modules?

Ok, from the Gigabyte document: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/server_manual_Memory_Population_Guidelines_e_A00.pdf Optimal configurations with some DIMMs double the capacity: