Search results

1. L

$119 BO ($139) 480GB Toshiba THNSNJ480PCS3/ HK3R Enterprise SATA SSD - NEW

No, paid 139, since there were only 4 left and there were several active offers, I decided to pay the original price. Still a great deal in my opinion.
  2. L

$119 BO ($139) 480GB Toshiba THNSNJ480PCS3/ HK3R Enterprise SATA SSD - NEW

Damn this part of the forum! Anyway, picked up the last 4 drives they had, thanks to zeynel for helping me spend my money :)
  3. L

Experience with AM1 platform?

Well, it´s a physical 16X slot with 4 PCI-e 2.0 lanes, and with PCI-e 2.0 giving a theoretical 500MB/s per lane I don´t think it will be a problem. My main concern is that the CPU itself will be way to slow, but I have never used 10Gbe in PFsense before so I´m not sure.
  4. L

Experience with AM1 platform?

Been using my AM1 setup with PFsense for almost a year, and it has been solid so far. The pros. are low price, low power consumption and support for AES-NI. Downsides are few sata ports, and just 4 PCI-e lanes in the 16X slot. I´m about to upgrade my network to 10Gbe, it will be interesting to...
  5. L

Mellanox 8-port 40gb QDR IB switches

It sure look like a nice switch, thinking of maybe replacing my 36 port with one of those. A question to the original poster, what is your co workers experience with the noise level of this switch ? Is it quiet enough to have in an office environment ? Also for those interested, they are now...
  6. L

Running "crossover" ethernet between ConnectX 3 cards

I have a Xen installation with VGA passthrough to 2 desktops among other virtual machines. When I have tried updating it in the past, I have always messed up the passthrough part. The other system mentioned in my post is an Ubuntu 15.04 on which I intend to run KVM with VFIO passthrough, and to...
  7. L

Great, then I know it is possible at least. The Mellanox driver in Opensuse 12.2 is dated 2008 and I´m pretty sure that is the problem, but I don´t want to tear it down if i´m not sure it can work.
  8. L

Hi, Does it work to run switchless ethernet between two ConnectX-3 cards using a regular QSFP cable ? My plan is to use my dual-port cards with one IB port connected to an IB switch, and one ethernet port directly connected between the servers. I have added "options mlx4_core...
  9. L

Making a IBM G8124 less noisy

OK, here is some pictures. Please do not mock the craftsmanship, I was in a hurry, and I had never worked with plexiglass before. I think this type of design would work with several switches with rear facing hot-swap fans, the question is if the firmware will allow the switch to operate without...
  10. L

I have a Voltaire 4036 Infiniband switch, and that was the loudest thing I have ever heard, before I modded it. The good thing about that switch is that it works fine even if the switch does not detect any fans, so I built an externally powered fan enclosure for it. It would be really great to...
  11. L

I´m in the market for a 10Gbe switch, and there are some decent deals on the IBM G8124. From what I have read in this forum, this switch is really noisy, and I will be sitting pretty close to it, so I need to modify it somehow. According to the installation manual the fans are not customer...
  12. L

New Dlink 10G Switches

The DXS-1210-12SC definitely look interesting, but I want static routing, and that will only come in "a future firmware release". Also tried to find it in Sweden but no luck so far. The small form factor and low power consumption compared to the larger enterprise switches is compelling if the...
  13. L

Dell 8024F noise level

Thanks for the input. I might have to put it in a closet and run longer cables through the wall to my other room. The other option is to see if I can replace all the 40mm fans with quieter ones without the switch overheating, or replace the lid with something like at plexiglass sheet and drill...
  14. L

Dell 8024F noise level

Hi, I´m looking to buy a 10Gbe switch with a bunch of SFP+ ports, and connect Mellanox ConnectX-2 & 3 cards to it. When looking around the Dell 8024F looks promising feature wise, and is relatively cheap second hand. My main concern is the noise level since I will have it in an apartment so I...