Dell 8024F noise level

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

LasseKongo

Oct 9, 2015
Hi,

I´m looking to buy a 10Gbe switch with a bunch of SFP+ ports, and connect Mellanox ConnectX-2 & 3 cards to it.
When looking around the Dell 8024F looks promising feature wise, and is relatively cheap second hand.
My main concern is the noise level since I will have it in an apartment so I can´t have screaming fans. I have Voltaire 4036 Infiniband switch which was unbearable until I made a fan mod on it.

Does anybody have experience with the noise level of this switch, and also if it is possible to modify it to be quieter, I know that the fan modules have standard 3-pin connectors for example. Are there fans in the PSU as well, and can they be replaced ?

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
When looking around the Dell 8024F looks promising feature wise, and is relatively cheap second hand.
My main concern is the noise level since I will have it in an apartment so I can´t have screaming fans. I have Voltaire 4036 Infiniband switch which was unbearable until I made a fan mod on it.
I have an 8024 (24 RJ45 + 4 SFP+, the opposite of the 8024F) and it would be pretty noisy if it was the only thing in the room. Fortunately, I have a bunch of other stuff that drowns it out.

One of its more annoying features is that the fan speed changes pitch due to slight temperature changes in the room, so the fans are always speeding up and slowing down.

Last edited:

LasseKongo

Oct 9, 2015
Thanks for the input.
I might have to put it in a closet and run longer cables through the wall to my other room.

The other option is to see if I can replace all the 40mm fans with quieter ones without the switch overheating, or replace the lid with something like at plexiglass sheet and drill holes for a number of large fans. The good thing with the F model is that it consumes max 160W, while the non-F version is 237W, so it is less heat to get rid of.

metag

Apr 26, 2016
@LasseKongo I recently acquired the Oracle version of the Voltaire 4036. I also find the fan noise unbearable, even in a basement. Can you share how you did the fan mod?

DASHIP

May 4, 2016
I have the same issue. The 4036 fans are like small jet engines. I can't imaging a whole rack of these monsters.

I have seen some folks responding that they have found some similarly-sized fans that flow less air, but are much quieter, and have the same form factor. I understand there are two- and three-wire versions. (Power, Ground, and tachometer signal) Some switches need the tach signal or report errors, etc.

Finding good fans that are quality, and still move a decent amount of air in the same size factor is they key. Any recommendations?

I found a great write-up on fan modding here:
DIY Project: Replacing Stock Cisco SG300-52 Fans With Silence - Wahl Network

Last edited:

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
Hi,

I´m looking to buy a 10Gbe switch with a bunch of SFP+ ports, and connect Mellanox ConnectX-2 & 3 cards to it.

Does anybody have experience with the noise level of this switch, and also if it is possible to modify it to be quieter, I know that the fan modules have standard 3-pin connectors for example. Are there fans in the PSU as well, and can they be replaced ?
This guy seems to offer kits for various "noisy switches", ordered some for a new switch..

extra-cooling on eBay

Will advise when the switch gets here if they are really less noisy and no other issues..