Making a IBM G8124 less noisy

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

LasseKongo

Oct 9, 2015
I´m in the market for a 10Gbe switch, and there are some decent deals on the IBM G8124. From what I have read in this forum, this switch is really noisy, and I will be sitting pretty close to it, so I need to modify it somehow.
According to the installation manual the fans are not customer replaceable, but that usually doesn´t mean it can´t be done.

Is there anyone that has made a fan mod. on this type of switch ? If so, is it regular 3-pin fans ? Any problems with the switch not powering up when using slower spinning fans ? Are there more than the 6 fans that is visible from the rear of the switch ?

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I have no idea on this one, however I suspect you are right and would love to see this done.

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
I´m in the market for a 10Gbe switch, and there are some decent deals on the IBM G8124. From what I have read in this forum, this switch is really noisy, and I will be sitting pretty close to it, so I need to modify it somehow.
According to the installation manual the fans are not customer replaceable, but that usually doesn´t mean it can´t be done.

Is there anyone that has made a fan mod. on this type of switch ? If so, is it regular 3-pin fans ? Any problems with the switch not powering up when using slower spinning fans ? Are there more than the 6 fans that is visible from the rear of the switch ?
I have the 8124 and the 8100 and both of them are about the same in noise levels but wouldn't consider them loud as my InfiniBand switch screams over the top of these units. I don't have a meter to test exactly what they put out but would love to see some type of mods for them for sure.

I'm in the process of replacing all of my SM 846/826 chassis with SQ PSUs in order to reduce my noise levels for the server room and the switches would be next on my list.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out.

LasseKongo

Oct 9, 2015
I have the 8124 and the 8100 and both of them are about the same in noise levels but wouldn't consider them loud as my InfiniBand switch screams over the top of these units. I don't have a meter to test exactly what they put out but would love to see some type of mods for them for sure.

I'm in the process of replacing all of my SM 846/826 chassis with SQ PSUs in order to reduce my noise levels for the server room and the switches would be next on my list.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out.
I have a Voltaire 4036 Infiniband switch, and that was the loudest thing I have ever heard, before I modded it. The good thing about that switch is that it works fine even if the switch does not detect any fans, so I built an externally powered fan enclosure for it.

It would be really great to have photos of the inside of the 8124, especially around the fans/fan connectors. However I don´t expect you to shut down your environment and pull the switch out of the rack to do that.

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
I have a Voltaire 4036 Infiniband switch, and that was the loudest thing I have ever heard, before I modded it. The good thing about that switch is that it works fine even if the switch does not detect any fans, so I built an externally powered fan enclosure for it.

It would be really great to have photos of the inside of the 8124, especially around the fans/fan connectors. However I don´t expect you to shut down your environment and pull the switch out of the rack to do that.
Pictures of the modded Voltaire would be pretty cool to see.

LasseKongo

Oct 9, 2015
Pictures of the modded Voltaire would be pretty cool to see.
OK, here is some pictures. Please do not mock the craftsmanship, I was in a hurry, and I had never worked with plexiglass before. I think this type of design would work with several switches with rear facing hot-swap fans, the question is if the firmware will allow the switch to operate without rpm reading from any fans.
The fans I use is Sunon Maglev fans speced at around 35dB @12V, currently running @6V, and it keeps the switch at around 40C.

PICT0401_v1.JPG PICT0404_v1.JPG

Keljian

Sep 9, 2015
Melbourne Australia
I have done similar plexiglass work before.
Couple of tips:
1. Use plastic glue which has a primer or priming pen, normal glue doesn't work
2. When cutting either use an acrylic jigsaw blade or a very fine metal blade at high speed. A good tenon saw will also work for small work.
3. Use masking tape along the lines you are trying to cut, this will help prevent cracks in the acrylic.
4. When drilling, drill a pilot hole with a small bit first, then mask over the hole before drilling with a bigger bit.

Reactions: lmk and Patrick