Search results

1. P

Hyve HS9215 motherboard help

Hi! I've got a motherboard from Hyve HS9215 server to play with, but I can't make it boot. The board has one E5-2860v4 processor installed, and 32GB 2Rx4 RDIMM (1 or 2) memory sticks installed. BMC boots, and I can reach the login screen, but none of the username/password combinations I found...
  2. P

Captcha on STH main page

When I clicked on the link on the forum to today's article on the main page, I was greeted by an overlay with a captcha. The overlay can be easily removed by "Kill Sticky" bookmarklet, and the page works fine after removing itt. What's the purpose of this overlay?
  3. P

Mixing memory ranks

Hi! I got to the point where I grew out of the amount of memory installed in my homelab server, and I would like to expand it. What I have right now are 2 32GB 2Rx4 memory sticks, and two empty slots. One of friendly STHers has right now an active listing for 32GB 1Rx4 modules priced rather...
  4. P

Is servercase.com a trustworthy seller?

I'm looking for a short depth server case, and one of the few sellers who offer them is servercas.com. However, the website looks less than reassuring: Product pages have broken links to pictures, when open in a new tab, the image links redirect to a parked domain. It almost looks like an...
  5. P

[HOWTO] How to replace system disk in a proxmox server minimizing downtime

[EDIT]: VM transfer method described here works only if all your VMs use storage on the system disk. I wanted to share a little trick, which I learned today while upgrading the system disk in my proxmox server. Most of it is pretty obvious, except one little detail, which I learned the hard...
  6. P

50% off + free shipping on Dell Refurbished

Dell Refurbished has another 50%+free shipping sale with code DELL2023BF Dell Refurbished
  7. P

Simple tunnel for incoming connections on dual-NATed network?

I've been asked for help with set up of network access for a service, which has to accept incoming connections. My understanding is that the service registers with a central server, but communication between nodes is implemented using p2p links. Static IP or host name are not required, but open...
  8. P

Optiplex 7050 micro and E3-1230v6?

Hi! I'm using Optiplex 7050 as a small server, and generally I'm happy with it. However, it came with i5-6600T, and from time to time I feel that I might have a use for a slightly more powerful cpu, with more threads. I keep watching ebay for i7-7700 (which is the most powerful CPU listed on...
  9. P

Weird problem with macvlan/ipvlan networks in docker

I have a weird problem with network in my docker containers, and I ran out of ideas on debugging it: I have a pre-defined network instantiated as follows: docker network create -d macvlan --opt parent=enp6s18 --subnet 192.168.48.0/22 --gateway 192.168.48.1 --ip-range 192.168.49.0/24 net48 This...
  10. P

What git server for a homelabber?

I'm thinking about setting up a small self-hosted git server for my private projects, where I can store all kinds of projects (software, documents, and other projects, completely not related to software development). I would like to have easy access via web interface to revision history and...
  11. P

1 day 50% off on Dell Refurbished

From DellRefurbished spam I've got today: 50% off any laptop or desktop in stock, plus free Ground shipping. Excludes Clearance items, bulk/volume orders & previous sales. Use code: BFJULY23DELL. Expires Saturday, 7/22/23, 9 AM CT. Online orders only at DellRefurbished.com Looks like it's good...
  12. P

Breadcrumbs links at the bottom of the page

I don't know how difficult it would be to add to the page template, but it would be helpful to have the breadcrumbs links (see attached screenshot) also at the bottom of the page. Right now the only ways of returning to the level up after reading a thread/section are the "back" button, which...
  13. P

Dell Refurbished 40% off (3050SFF@$90+tax shipped)

Dell Refurbished has a Memorial Day sale (40% off and free ground shipping) on almost everything (exc. clearance) with code DELL2023USA. Optiplex 3050 SFF with i3-6100, 8GB ram, and 250G HD comes out at $90 before tax: Dell OptiPlex 3050 SFF
  14. P

Server 2066 socket v.s. desktop 2066 cooler

Hi, I've got a Thermalright Silver Soul 110 CPU cooler, which I wanted to use on a X11SRM-VF motherboard, which uses a 2066 socket. Even though the specs of the cooler claim compatibility with 2066 socket, the included brackets did not fit the mounts. Is server 2066 different from what is used...
  15. P

Please help me size the power supply for my NAS build

Hi! I'm slowly putting together my NAS server, and I'm at the point where I start to feel comfortable estimating the lower bound on the size of the power supply. I can throw at it a 1.2kW power supply and call it a day, but if a 200W PS would be sufficient, such an oversized PS would be a huge...
  16. P

Inspur-branded LSI9300-8i for $50

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185833535109 Seller immediately accepted my offer of $45, I guess it was automatic. You can try bidding lower. Good luck!
  17. P

Buying from PlinkUSA

Hi! I tried to buy an enclosure from PlinkUSA's website. I placed the order and sent payment via paypal using the button on the page, but a few minutes later I received an email with information that the seller refunded my payment. I emailed them inquiring about the cancelled order, but so far...
  18. P

Hardware TPM pass-through: is it a thing?

Hi, I've got a Dell 7050 which came with preinstalled Windows 10. According to the support, the license key is embedded in the hardware, and I think it is safe to assume that it is locked in the TPM module. Currently the computer runs proxmox, but I would like to spin a Windows VM, and it would...
  19. P

Problems with PCIe passing in proxmox

Hi, I have a problem with passing a PCIe card to a VM in proxmox. This is a specialized piece of hardware, so it's very difficult to find any information, but maybe someone here had a similar problem, and can share experience. First, the problem: No matter what I do, the card does not show up...
  20. P

Looking for a recommendation for a CPU and motherboard for a power-efficient (at idle) home NAS

Hi! I'm in the process of designing my home NAS server. Its primary function will be disk storage, but I also want to use it to run several services. NAS will be used for file storage, hosting video projects for editing off the server (I don't need super smooth scrubbing, though), and backups...