Server 2066 socket v.s. desktop 2066 cooler

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

piranha32

Mar 4, 2023
Hi,

I've got a Thermalright Silver Soul 110 CPU cooler, which I wanted to use on a X11SRM-VF motherboard, which uses a 2066 socket. Even though the specs of the cooler claim compatibility with 2066 socket, the included brackets did not fit the mounts.
Is server 2066 different from what is used in desktop motherboards, or the cooler specs are "too optimistic"?

Attachments

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
Unable to comment on the subject. Just wanted to stop in and compliment you on that board/CPU combo. :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: piranha32

piranha32

Mar 4, 2023
Thermalright Silver Soul 110 supports LGA 2011-0/2011-1/2011-3/2066 Square ILM not narrow ILM
X11SRM-VF = narrow ILM.
TIL: there are two versions of 2066 socket.
What are the best keywords to use searching for the cooler? None of the coolers I saw mentioned the form factor in the description.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Is server 2066 different from what is used in desktop motherboards, or the cooler specs are "too optimistic"?
server boards use both versions Square and Narrow.
check Noctua NH-D9DX i4 3U - included 3 types of brackets. Square / Narrow / Narrow 90 degree rotated

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
@piranha32 : There's several options for Narrow ILM coolers. You can even get brackets for liquid coolers that use the Asetek mounting style. I'm using a Noctua NH-U9DX i4 with my X11SRM-VF. I've used this cooler model on multiple Narrow ILM systems. RAM clearance is a bit tight on some boards, but not obstructed on anything I've used them on. If you're interested in Noctua coolers this chart is helpful in showing socket compatibility for LGA 20xx Narrow ILM:

Socket Compatibility Overview | Noctua Compatibility Centre

Reactions: piranha32 and zac1

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Besides Noctua branded coolers, there's several other "more creative options". My X10SRH-CF (also Narrow ILM) has a 2U Supermicro passive cooler with a fan "grafted" to the front with the rubber mounts that came with the fan.

1636325039394.png

If you're interested in a liquid setup, the Asetek retention ring mount kit you'd need is PN 35-150-2000034. Last time I bought any was a few years ago, and they were ~$8 US then. It will work on any liquid All-in-One that uses the Asetek mounting system, including some (but not all!) EVGA, Corsair, Dell/Alienware OEM, etc.

There's even adapters that let you use AM4 mount coolers, although I've not had any luck with the one I tried due to clearance issues.

Cheers!

Reactions: zac1 and piranha32

piranha32

Mar 4, 2023
The AM4 adapter looks very interesting. Could you please write more about it? I don't have the enclosure yet (I know what I want, but as ridiculous it sounds, the store which carries them refuses to sell the case, and they don't respond to emails), but I may have a use for a spare H100i Elite which sits on my shelf. Unfortunately the AIO unit is square, so the Asetek retention ring will not work.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
The AM4 adapter looks very interesting. Could you please write more about it? I don't have the enclosure yet (I know what I want, but as ridiculous it sounds, the store which carries them refuses to sell the case, and they don't respond to emails), but I may have a use for a spare H100i Elite which sits on my shelf. Unfortunately the AIO unit is square, so the Asetek retention ring will not work.
Sorry, forgot to respond to this.

I'd originally 3D Printed some of my own for a Narrow LGA2011 board that were...OK...but not super sturdy. I was always worried they'd delaminate and the cooler would pop off:

https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...ection-for-cpu-cooler-mount.25248/post-234267

Then I ran across some like the ones mentioned in the post below. Much more sturdy, but unlike the ones I printed, these had some clearance issues because they were a full 4-sided frame. If you search for them on Ebay, Ali, etc. they may say they are for AM3 to LGA2011, but AM4 coolers of the kind with the single clamping lugs on the short ends still work fine (AMD's stock Wraith Prism for example).

Anything with the 4 screw mounting though (AMD's stock Wraith Stealth or Wraith Spire coolers for example) aren't going to work. On the Intel side, LGA2011, 2011-3, and 2066 share the same loading mechanism, stack height and mounting lug dimensions, so if it works for Narrow 2011 it will work for Narrow 2066.

[Info] AM4 to LGA2011 (and others) square/narrow heatsink adapter brackets