Search results

1. M

Mellanox MCX311A-XCAT 10 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe Adapter Card ConnectX-3 CX311A $12 obo + $15 Shipping

For those who ordered the MTM007160 (which doesn't fit) from Mellanox, check your inboxes. Apparently, Mellanox is offering exchanges for the MTM007160 replacing with the MTM004898 (the non-perforated one that does fit).
  2. M

Mellanox MCX311A-XCAT 10 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe Adapter Card ConnectX-3 CX311A $12 obo + $15 Shipping

Just checked my bag of # MTM007160's, they have the same issue, they don't align with the SFP+ port on the MCX311A-XCAT :(
  3. M

SuperMicro-PWS-501P-1R < 50 greenbacks

I can confirm that they work with the SC216. I grabbed one a few months back for my SC216 Xeon D build, nice and quiet verses the old 900W beasts that came with it. At $50, I'm picking up a second (paid way more for the first one).
  4. M

Ubiquiti Beta US-16-XG $299

Mine arrived today, and I didn't see a sticker on the box either.
  5. M

Ubiquiti Beta US-16-XG $299

Well seeing the >20W figure sold it for me. I'm in for one.
  6. M

Intel Demonstrating Broadwell-EP with FPGA On-package at SC16

I assume it is a die size thing. They only have so much space on a package and the Xeon Phi die are quite large. A Xeon E5 should be smaller than an Xeon Phi die leaving more room to fit an Arria 10 die on package.
  7. M

Intel Shipping an ARM Server SoC: The Stratix 10 FPGA

These style of SOCs have been around for a while now, and both Xilinx and Intel have high end A series ARM cores + FPGA fabric products. They do have hardened EMIFs (DDR3/DDR4 controllers), at least one for the HPS, and one (or more) for the fabric. Also, note that each of the transceiver lanes...
  8. M

SAMSUNG SV843 2.5" 960GB SATA III $199@newegg

Ok with a second SV843 refurb, smartctl -x initially gives: SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 1 Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds: ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAGS VALUE WORST THRESH FAIL RAW_VALUE 5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct PO--CK 100 100 010 - 0 9 Power_On_Hours...
  9. M

There was an old listing on all of the newegg sites (google links to them), though the one linked here is still up, it is back up to $199.99. I'm going to do a write test or two on mine to see if what the one reviewer complained of is true with the one I received. From outside appearance, the...
  10. M

Looks like they dropped the price to $179.99. But, be cautioned that they probably wiped the SMART data in the "refurb" process, mine had a power cycle count of 3. SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 1 Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds: ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAGS...
  11. M

Seagate Backup Plus 4TB Drive - Cheap 2.5" 4TB drives

Silver one is still $99 at Amazon. Ugg, I already have 6 shucked drives, why did I just buy another? Oh well, maybe I'll use this one as Seagate intended (leave in the enclosure).
  12. M

The only difference that matters to schucking is the STEA4000400 is more difficult to open than the STDR4000X00 drives (I've shucked 3 of each). The STDRs I can open with just my hands/fingernails, and I could probably reassemble them. The STEAs require a prying tool and will not be going back...
  13. M

Better deal than last week, Newegg via ebay has the black version of the Backup Plus for 105 USD with free shipping: Seagate Backup Plus 4TB Portable External Hard Drive with 200GB of Cloud Storag At this point I've already picked up 4 of these (and a SC216), I'm not going to grab any more...
  14. M

BTW, Newegg via ebay has the blue version of these for 110USD (limit 5 per customer): Seagate Backup Plus Slim 4TB Portable External Hard Drive with 200GB of Cloud St
  15. M

Yeah it's a little crazy, I had missed the sub 100USD deals (happened back on 31/3/2016). Note that these are typically with promocodes so you may only be able to get 1 or 2 at that price. But if you are not in a hurry to amass a large number of drives, then there are deals to be had.
  16. M

Packaging wise, the internals of the STEA4000400 are quite Spartan (literally just foil tape around the SATA <->USB3.0 bridge board and little rubber nubs around some Phillips screws in the drive. So the Backup Plus is likely to survive better if you keep it in the enclosure than the...
  17. M

I can report that the slightly cheaper STEA4000400 (120USD on Newegg and Amazon, Newegg has also had 10USD off promocodes for it) also contains the ST400LM016. It doesn't come with the 200GB Onedrive plan, but I don't have a use for it. The enclosure has a sort of ugly pyramid pattern, so not...
  18. M

interesting read - SSD reliability

You can use MLC die in 'SLC'mode', that is each cell can store 4 levels (2 bits) but you can choose to program only 2 levels (1 bit). I believe SLC flash is still different in regards to the other hardware on the die (the read/program/erase control circuitry). In the end, SLC should be quicker...
  19. M

Intel VCA Card

After digging through the software user guide, it appears that they have a utility for booting images (a CentOS image is provided, but you can make your own) on all three nodes on the card (stored in a read only ramdisk). From there you can ssh in and do whatever you want (it appears, as long as...
  20. M

ConnectX-2 EN - dual port cards

If I remember correctly, mine literally came in a small USPS flat-rate box with no additional padding/dunnage other than the static dissipative bag the card was in. Mine wasn't damaged, but I'm not terribly impressed with the packaging.