interesting read - SSD reliability

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
And here is the paper rather than ZDnet...
My summery ...
Without listing what drives were used, what process nand and who made it this data is utterly useless.
They have literally grouped together all the SLC drives all the MLC drives and all the MLCe drives.

The biggest risk with consumer drives is data loss on hard power loss due to the lack of plp.
The data retention tests done by techreport have better use.

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
whoa -
  • High-end SLC drives are no more reliable that MLC drives.
Why is that surprising?

No more reliable is not the same as No more endurance

SLC Chip = MLC Chip I believe -- right? One just stores more, and has less endurance.
So it would mkae sense drive for drive that they are the same

Reactions: gigatexal

mtekk

May 22, 2015
Minnesota
SLC Chip = MLC Chip I believe -- right? One just stores more, and has less endurance.
You can use MLC die in 'SLC'mode', that is each cell can store 4 levels (2 bits) but you can choose to program only 2 levels (1 bit). I believe SLC flash is still different in regards to the other hardware on the die (the read/program/erase control circuitry). In the end, SLC should be quicker to program and erase (though I suspect intimate knowledge of the underlying structures for a MLC flash used in 'SLC mode' can get them to program/erase quicker than SLC flash).

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
well then i interpreted that wrong, i read: "Is just as reliable, similiar if not the same endurance, more or less the same in practice as"
As I mentioned, I didn't read the entire thing. Is your quote what you read or what you 'said to yourself' in your head? Not sure I'm interpreting right myself :) Thanks!

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
whoa -
  • High-end SLC drives are no more reliable that MLC drives.
The statement by itself is of no use. Let say SSDs of both types fail because their power supplies give out. Sure, you could say they have equivalent reliability, but that doesn't mean SLC is really no better than MLC flash. It just means some other component present on both on the MLC and SLC SSD fails before the flash can. So in a very limited case you could say that the type of flash didn't impact reliability, but that doesn't mean you can apply that statement to a broader scope.

Since no manufacturers or models are referenced it basically means nothing.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
Gotta read the paper closely...

Regarding the bit about SLC being no more reliable than MLC, they also said "within typical drive lifetimes" - an SLC drive has more endurance and a higher expected lifetime under a high write workload, and so the statement isn't really that surprising. It's really just saying that regardless of NAND type, SSDs are lasting as long as they are supposed to.

And yes - the NAND chips used for SLC/MLC/TLC are the same, every cell stores a single analog value. The differences are in how the controller evaluates that analog value, and whether it can differentiate between 2 values (SLC), 4 values (2-bit MLC), or 8 values (TLC). Taking the same analog range and splitting it more ways makes things harder, which is why MLC/TLC is slower and has lower endurance. Well - thats probably not the most technically correct way to put it, but is generally true - go google it yourself if you want really technical descriptions.

As to the way they grouped up the different kinds of drives - keep this statement from the paper in mind:
"The drives in our study are custom designed high performance solid state drives, which are based on commodity flash chips, but use a custom PCIe interface, firmware and driver." So the only thing these have in common with the drives we see are the NAND chips. They do have the details on the process used for the NAND, but the manufacturer data has been cleansed down to 'vendor 1', 'vendor 2', etc.

Reactions: T_Minus