Search results

1. vanfawx

DELL FC430 systems and dual On CPUs - strange days...

My understanding is you're limited to 120W CPU's in the FC430 when in dual processor configuration. If you use a single CPU, you can go up to 140W. I'm having problems finding the TDP of your CPUs, but they're 18 core which makes me think they're beyond what the FC430's will support. Hope that...
  2. vanfawx

Formatting to 4096 bytes, does it matter?

Another difference is you can't BIOS/legacy boot a 4k native disk. EFI only. That's probably less of an issue now :)
  3. vanfawx

LSI 9270-8i IT mode

@Rille_lkp - the SPD and SBR files are for a 9270-8i MegaRaid adapter, and won't help you if you're starting with an HBA. You can go MegaRaid -> HBA, but not the other way. I agree with @BLinux, you should return the cards. If you paid via PayPal, you can start a claim via them if ebay didn't...
  4. vanfawx

BPN-SAS3-826A-N4 backplane leds only flash when activity, no online leds?

In my experience, only SAS drives light the online status light. SATA drives do not.
  5. vanfawx

Enabling (free) LSI/Avago/Broadcomm Fastpath as of v5.7+

As I remember, it's only free for 927x series adapters and newer. The 926x's still require either the free software trial key, or a hardware key.
  6. vanfawx

Cisco RPS 2300 questions

Yeah, when I implemented one myself I ran into the exact same limitation. I've ended up pulling it out due to its limitations. If possible it's better to just buy switches with redundant power. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
  7. vanfawx

Cisco RPS 2300 questions

Yup, I'm aware you can connect 6 devices, but only 2 can be powered. https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/switches/redundant-power-system-2300/redundant_power_system_2300_qa.pdf From the first answer on the first page: "The Cisco RPS 2300 helps ensure failover from internal...
  8. vanfawx

Is this a fake Cisco SFP+ transceiver?

I've had no issues using non-cisco sourced SFP's and SFP+'s in their switches. So long as their coded as cisco, they work just as well as the $1000 ones your VAR will sell you. In my experience, fs.com is a great option for this.
  9. vanfawx

Cisco RPS 2300 questions

Hey, that is correct, redundancy is via the switches own PSU combined with the RPS. As well, even though the RPS has 6 ports, it can only power 2 devices. And depending on which switches you're using, the only way to switch back to the on-board PSU, is to reboot the switch in question.
  10. vanfawx

Is this a fake Cisco SFP+ transceiver?

Based only on a picture, it looks like a standard SFP-10G-SR. Looks like it was manufactured in 2007 according to the markings. Have you had any problems with it?
  11. vanfawx

SD card for Dell dual sd-card solution - esxi

I would recommend getting a SD Card rated for at least A1, which is 1500 random read iops and 500 random write. This will make for a better pairing using this for an operating system.
  12. vanfawx

Anyone have success using T10-PI / 520-byte protection information with LSI RAID?

My understanding is none of the MegaRAID cards support 520 byte sectors. Typically you'll only run into 520 byte sectors with drives from a SAN (Netapp, IBM, EMC, etc).
  13. vanfawx

Dell R720xd backplane question

Sorry, I've never done such a modification. But I can't imagine the iDRAC would be happy with such changes.
  14. vanfawx

Dell R720xd backplane question

My understanding is the "xd" just means "extra drives". So to run 12 to 14 drives in the R720xd, there's a SAS expander in the backplane, and the rear two ports are just running off one of the ports on the expander, with an i2c extension to run the LED's. The LFF R720 only has 8 drives, and...
  15. vanfawx

SAS Drives Not Recognized

Try using a LSI HBA in IT mode. The H310 is in iMR (Integrated MegaRaid) mode, which can't work non-512 byte sector drives. A LSI 9211-8i is a popular choice. The BIOS screen you're showing is the Dell H310 interface, not the LSI IT BIOS. Are you sure the flash to IT mode worked as expected?
  16. vanfawx

LSI 9270-8i IT mode

@gdclub send me a PM with the email you want me to send it to.
  17. vanfawx

LSI 9270-8i IT mode

Hey @ServeTheHarry :) The SBR I have is from a retail 9270-8i, not a 9271-8i. I think the main difference is the 9271-8i includes a SKU to come with CacheCade Pro. Send me a PM, and I can work out giving you the SBR I have.
  18. vanfawx

Two blown backplanes...

Does your fat twin model support node hotswap? I don't know about the version you have, but the 2u4n model I had, required a specific model to support node hot-swapping. What model do you have?
  19. vanfawx

How Picky are MikroTik Switches About SFP+ Transcievers?

Anything should work. Intel is only picky with optical transceivers, DA's I've had no issues with any I've used. I'd recommend getting a cable from fs.com.