DELL FC430 systems and dual On CPUs - strange days...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Sniper_X

Mar 11, 2021
I have an FX2s setup with 8 FC430s.
I loaded them with 128G RAM, and dual XEON E5-2696 v3 Processors.

However, I'm really confused about why these aren't booting with dual processors installed.

With dual CPUs installed, I get the following over anfd over in teh Lifecycle controller log:

CPU0000 Internal error has occurred check for additional logs.
RAC0704 Requested system powerdown.
SYS1003 System CPU Resetting.

Does anyone here have advice or thoughts on this?

Last edited:

vanfawx

Jan 4, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
My understanding is you're limited to 120W CPU's in the FC430 when in dual processor configuration. If you use a single CPU, you can go up to 140W. I'm having problems finding the TDP of your CPUs, but they're 18 core which makes me think they're beyond what the FC430's will support.

Hope that helps!

Sniper_X

Mar 11, 2021
My understanding is you're limited to 120W CPU's in the FC430 when in dual processor configuration. If you use a single CPU, you can go up to 140W. I'm having problems finding the TDP of your CPUs, but they're 18 core which makes me think they're beyond what the FC430's will support.
Yea, I read that too.

However, they never fully committed to the FX2 platform before replacing it with the next generation blade system.
This led to the platform documentation not being accurate or updated often enough to reveal what they ACTUALLY ended up being able to do.

I wish I could find something updated more recently that outlined what the final max config limits were.

I would hate to have to get all new XEONS. :mad:

I am flashing all the latest firmware and microcode into one unit to see what that will "unlock".

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
E5-2696v3 = 145W TDP
DELL FC430 Dual processor system is limited to 120W per CPU.

Sniper_X

Mar 11, 2021
UPDATE:

NOPE.

Once I introduce a second E5-2696 v3, the blade wont come up.
(dammit.)

I'll look for some way to force it or get around it, but it apparently i'm likely going to have to exchange these with the vendor for different CPUs.

Sniper_X

Mar 11, 2021
E5-2696v3 = 145W TDP
DELL FC430 Dual processor system is limited to 120W per CPU.
Your post reminded me of something.

I read this in the manual and was thinking that was odd that they had this setting, but now I wonder if this wasn't the reason:

Configurable TDP
Enables you to reconfigure the processor Thermal Design Power (TDP) levels during POST based on the power and thermal delivery capabilities of the system. TDP verifies the maximum heat the cooling system is needed to dissipate.
This option is set to Nominal by default.
NOTE: This option is only available on certain stock keeping units (SKUs) of the processors.

I'm about to reduce to one CPU. change this and try it out.

Sniper_X

Mar 11, 2021
Configurable TDPEnables you to reconfigure the processor Thermal Design Power (TDP) levels during POST based on the power and thermal delivery capabilities of the system. TDP verifies the maximum heat the cooling system is needed to dissipate.
This option is set to Nominal by default.

NOTE: This option is only available on certain stock keeping units (SKUs) of the processors.
I'm about to reduce to one CPU. change this and try it out.
Okay, so NOOOOOPE again.

The settings were "NOMINAL" and LEVEL 1" - where Level 1 LOWERS fan speeds.
I'll make the call to exchange them tomorrow.

-CRAP-