Search results

1. B

Opinions on Western Digital SN840 vs Intel P4510 - Firmware updates available for WD?

I need a large ssd as a super overkill storage drive for an NVR system. Scrubbing high resolution footage lags if it's not on some type of SSD. This is for my personal use and it'll take a lifetime for my cameras to write enough data to wear out one of these things so that isn't a concern. The...
  2. B

Received Connectx-4 Lx stuck in livefish mode. Any ideas?

Got this card off ebay and it came stuck in livefish mode. Seems like this was maybe a lenovo card even though it was advertised as mellanox oem. 01:00.0 Memory controller: Mellanox Technologies MT27710 Family [ConnectX-4 Lx Flash Recovery] flint -d /dev/mst/mt523_pciconf0 query Image type...
  3. B

Need help selecting hardware with vpro or ipmi, dual nvme, dual 3.5" sata in a small form factor

As the title says, I'm trying to figure out what the best bang for the buck is in a system that meets these requirements. Here's my wish list...basically minimum requirements: 1. Fairly small so it fits on a shelf in a closet - modern game console sized or a bit larger (taller). 2. 12th gen...
  4. B

Recommend HBA with low power consumption and at least 16 sata drives supported?

I made the mistake (I think) of ordering a LSI 9300-16i. I should have done more research but the heatsink alone was a big enough giveaway. System idle power shoots up by 30 watts when this thing is plugged in with no drives attached. It also doesn't seem to support ASPM according to powertop...
  5. B

What's the recommended 10Gb Multigig capable NIC in 2023?

I'm not really up to date on what the best oem sku's are to pick up a multi-gig capable 10Gb rj45 nic anymore. With the minefield of counterfeit stuff on ebay I'm hesitant to buy anything X550 based on a whim. It also seems like single port x550 nics are pushing $180-$200 which seems like a lot...
  6. B

Does anyone understand how to use an Intel QAT QuickAssist pcie add-in card?

tldr; Are intel QAT pcie cards plug and play in linux or is there more to it? STH has some great coverage of QAT add-in cards here and here. I have an old xeon E5-2678 v3 2u I use as a homelab box running proxmox (debian 11). It isn't capable of saturating a 10Gbit line pulling from usenet...
  7. B

4+ 10Gb copper port (multi-gig capable ports) low power switch? Ubiquiti Switch Flex XG?

Getting 8Gbe google fiber to the house soon (it's like every childhood Christmas combined lol!). Considering the current shortages with networking hardware in general does anyone know of any efficient, cost effective layer 2 managed switches with at least 4 copper 10G ports capable of multi-gig...
  8. B

Consumer brand (trendnet/asus) vs used enterprise 10Gbe Nic for 10Gbe over cat5e?

After seeing success on the Internet of others successfully running 10 Gigabit networks in their homes over existing CAT5 and CAT5E in-wall cables I'm about to give it a go myself. The furthest away client device will be my windows desktop and I'm unsure if I should go with one of the consumer...
  9. B

Low power 10Gbit SSD NAS + VM Host - Ryzen 3000 or Intel?

I need a 24/7 power efficient nas/vm host to to run lightweight VM's for homelab tinkering as well as backup server software etc. Host will be proxmox, guests will be a mix of linux and windows, ZFS will be the filesystem on the proxmox host. I like the look of the u-nas 810a case and am...
  10. B

WTB: HGST 4U60 Rail Kit

So I have 2 of these hgst 4u60's that I finally have a use for and somehow have completely lost the rail kits. If anyone who has one of these happens to have the rail kit for their unit but has no use for them i'll happily buy them from you. Thanks!
  11. B

N2215 - any use this with zfs?

Looking into this as it's SAS3008 based? Has anyone had success flashing this to IT mode and using it with ZoL? Does it pass SMART data? No weird problems? Thanks!
  12. B

Confused about ZFS performance on SSD

tldr: What is going on with these benchmarks, and do I really need a P3700 to get decent performance for VM's hosted on SSD ZFS pools? Ceph: how to test if your SSD is suitable as a journal device? | Sébastien Han So I have a proxmox host that currently has the following configuration: 2x240GB...