Need help selecting hardware with vpro or ipmi, dual nvme, dual 3.5" sata in a small form factor

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bleomycin

Nov 22, 2014
As the title says, I'm trying to figure out what the best bang for the buck is in a system that meets these requirements.

Here's my wish list...basically minimum requirements:

1. Fairly small so it fits on a shelf in a closet - modern game console sized or a bit larger (taller).
2. 12th gen intel or newer CPU, preferably with igpu for quicksync support.
3. dual m.2 nvme 2280 or larger support
3. dual sata or more so I can fit at least 2x 3.5" hdd's in raid1
4. ecc not needed but great if supported
5. 1-2+ pcie slots for possible expansion in the future
6. Some form of OOB management - vPro, IPMI

I'm willing to go a little janky if necessary, things like 3d printing brackets to fit hard drives in places they weren't necessarily meant to go is fine.

Normally I would just piece this all together starting with an itx mobo and case but I'm not sure it's possible to get the features I want without buying something expensive like supermicro or going with used oem hardware for cheap vpro.

The closest thing I've been able to find looks like a used Lenovo ThinkCentre M80t Gen 3 i5-12500 for $450 or i7-12700 for $550 shipped. I'm sure there's way more options out there, I'm just trying to figure out what the best bang for the buck is.

bleomycin

Nov 22, 2014
Thanks everyone. The recommended options all look really nice. I really like the HP Elitedesk 800 G9 but can't find a good deal on one right now. I decided to pick up a Lenovo ThinkCentre M80t Gen 3 i7-12700. Got it for $550 shipped. I wasn't able to find anything with comparable specs for a similar price, everything else was going to be a fair bit more. I'll have to get creative to cram a 2nd 3.5" drive into it but shouldn't be too hard.