Search results

1. N

Just got a bazillion emails

I just got a bazillion emails from STH Forums after I hadn‘t received any in the last week (like DM notifications). Were they stuck in some send queue at STH?
  2. N

Has anyone worked with NICs in switchdev mode, Open vSwitch offload, SR-IOV and vDPA?

Hey folks, I recently fell into the rabbit hole of NICs in switchdev mode, Open vSwitch offload, SR-IOV and vDPA and I'd like discuss whether my conclusion are correct, as the existing documentation is slim at best. The TL;DR is: Conventional VirtIO is slow, SR-IOV is fast But simple SR-IOV...
  3. N

Flash Silicom PE340G2QI71 to stock Intel Firmware?

Hey, Apparently the Silicom PE340G2QI71 uses an OEM Firmware and also has a different PCIe ID, which might be an issue for my use case. Does anyone know whether it's possible to crossflash the Silicom PE340G2QI71 to Intel stock firmware?
  4. N

Intel E810: Available breakout modes

As this information is kinda difficult to find, compiled here. Intel E810 NICs support port breakout mode (XL710 also do). The only NICs that I know that support this. To configure the ports, you need the Intel EPCT tool. The following breakout modes are available on E810-CQDA2 (Proprietary...
  5. N

Big Multigig (2.5 / 5 / 10) PoE++ with QSFP+ / QSFP28 switches

Hey, I'm trying to make a little list of Big Multigig (2.5 / 5 / 10GBit) PoE++ with QSFP+ / QSFP28 switches. There doesn't seem to be a lot of them, so please let me know if I've missed one Requirements: At least 12 2.5 / 5 / 10GBit Ports with PoE++ At least 24 ports in total, all with PoE+ at...
  6. N

H12SSL-NT - Work around missing PCIe Force Link Speed option

Problem: Gen 4 capable CPU + board (H12SSL-NT), Gen 4 capable SSD (Samsung PM1733) connected to onboard SlimSAS (JNVMe0 / JNVMe1) Gen 3 capable cable (CBL-SAST-0826) + backplane (BPN-SAS3-826A-N4) CPU and SSD will negotiate to Gen 4. Results in lots of PCIe errors because cable + backplane are...
  7. N

Beware of myus (freight forwarder)

Hey folks, Some words of warning if you're planning on forwarding stuff from the USA to somewhere else in the world using myus: 1. Expect that your items will get damaged during transport. MyUS is extremely bad at packing electronics. According to their support, they do not have any bubble...
  8. N

Best way to convert SlimSAS LOW PROFILE to U.2 / SFF 8639

I've got an ASRock ROME2D16-2T board, which uses SlimSAS low profile (not normal SlimSAS) What would be the best (cheapest) way to convert the SlimSAS low profile to U.2 / SFF 8639? Two possibilities that I have identified: - 2x Micro SATA cables LP-2033-OCU (Low Profile SlimSAS Strait 8i to...
  9. N

(Q)SFP28 NICs that support N-BaseT

Hey, Are there any (Q)SFP28 NICs where proper N-BaseT (e.g. with Mikrotik S+RJ10 module) is confirmed to work properly? Properly as in "NIC recognises that it's running at 2.5G/5G and doesn't link with 10G with the module leading to weird behaviour" I'm specifically not looking for NICs with...
  10. N

Affordable 1U short depth chassis with redundant hot-swap PSU?

Hey, I'm looking for affordable 1U short-depth chassis (<= 400mm) with redundant PSU and a full profile PCIe slot. The only ones I could find are Supermicro 506TQC-R301 and Supermicro 515M-R804.. but both are very expensive. The chassis are intended for an edge vSZ deployment. Any ideas? I'd...
  11. N

Project: Custom Brackets for Ruckus Outdoor Access Points (like T710)

Because the original brackets from Ruckus are not really suitable for anything else than fixed installations, I decided to design my own brackets for Ruckus Outdoor Access Points (like T710). The reason is that I would like to use them at events - I do system tech from time to time - that means...
  12. N

Making "Great Deals" private?

I think this was already suggested, but I can't find the thread. Best example is this deal: Over 700 of those cards were sold for a great price within a couple of hours. I'm almost certain that a majority was picked up by either a reseller or some big company... (Update: Yes, that's the case...
  13. N

OPNsense + L3 switches and multiple subnets - Best practise setup?

Is there a best practise to configure OPNSense in a Multi-Subnet L3 setup? I have this example: OPNSense has the IP 10.2.1.2/16 and needs to do normal NAT / Firewall, but all the other hosts are located in other subnets (and VLANs) like 10.10.0.0/16, all the Inter-VLAN Routing is handled by...
  14. N

Broadcom 05-60002-00 compatible with SAS?

Hey, I want to upgrade a system to 9500-8i controllers and need the right cables. There is Broadcom 05-60002-00 (SFF-8654 8i / SlimSAS-8i to SFF8643 for Supermicro NVMe Backplanes) and Broadcom 05-60003-00 (SFF-8654 8i / SlimSAS-8i to SFF8643) for SAS. Does anyone know whether the 05-60002-00...
  15. N

Transceiver Password Collection

Hey, I do reprogram transceivers from time to time, and sometimes they require a password to be reprogrammed. I'll just list all the passwords I have bruteforced here, feel free to let me know if you have other passwords available Transceiver Model Password Source Infinera...
  16. N

Mellanox Switches - Tips & Tricks

Similar to the glorious Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching) Thread, I'd like to use this thread to compile some knowledge about Mellanox switches that is spread over many places in the forum, which can be hard to find for newbies. I will expand this thread / post over...
  17. N

EU 4x 129€ Samsung 32GB DDR5-4800 RDIMM M321R4GA3BB6-CQK

Hey, German retailer mindfactory.de has 4x Samsung 32GB DDR5-4800 RDIMM M321R4GA3BB6-CQK for 129€ each You need to go through https://www.mindfactory.de/Highlights/MindStar otherwise you won't get the price! Only 4 available! Cheapest alternative is 188,98€ each.
  18. N

New access switch for Multi-Gig Wifi and North-south traffic

I've been looking for a new access switch for my office for months... And I can't really seem to find something that fits my needs Use Case / Requirements: - About 24x RJ-45 1G ports in total - Beefy uplink port due to lots of north-south traffic Something like 40G QSFP, 100G QSFP, maybe 2x25G...
  19. N

NVMe SSD Shootout - New vs Used - For Ceph & ZFS

Hey folks, I'm about to buy a couple of NVMe SSDs for my new service servers. Each server will have 3-4, perhaps identical, NVMe SSDs: - 1-2 for Ceph DB / WAL / Metadata (Rest of the Ceph Cluster is spinning rust) - 2 for local VM storage in mirrored config The local VM storage SSDs should...
  20. N

EXPIRED [IL] !!ALL GONE!! $150 Mellanox ConnectX-4 CX416A-CCAT Dual Port 2x 100GBit Ethernet

!!ALL GONE!! https://www.ebay.com/itm/165643860382 Mellanox ConnectX-4 CX416A-CCAT Dual Port 2x 100GBit Ethernet NICs for $150 per piece (obo), 7 left, from Israel Very good deal, considering that I paid $250 for CX456A-ECAT per piece last week... You can easily crossflash the CX416-CCAT to a...