Search results

1. B

Qotom Denverton fanless system with 4 SFP+

While most 10GBASE-T modules are indeed in the 3W range, there are some more modern (and expensive) ones with lower power consumption (1.8W or less) and longer range (100 meter vs. 30 meter). https://www.fs.com/de-en/products/154916.html?attribute=70728&id=3351321 Ubiquiti also sell one that's...
  2. B

I've seen others say they got it working in the comments on the review article, but they didn't specify how. You might have to enable console redirection in the BIOS etc. In the end, I didn't feel like digging deeper once I bought the VGA adapter.
  3. B

I used a cheap VGA adapter since I didn't have a monitor with VGA available. I tried to use the console port but didn't manage to get an output from it. You might have to enable it in the BIOS for it to be usable, which would require VGA to do. I don't think the USB-C port supports display...
  4. B

Are cheap 2.5Gb managed PoE switches not a thing?

As you've noticed, there are several on AliExpress. You can also often find the same switches under a different brand on Amazon for a markup. The more well known brands seem to have decided that PoE and management are both premium features that motivate a high price tag, despite not necessarily...
  5. B

Weird behavior with XikeStor 10Gb SFP+ switches

The concept of a running config and a startup config is the same. More premium switches do a better job of reminding you to actually store your config though, that's true. :D Yes, many of the switches with the same port configuration use the same switch chip. The RTL9303 is used by at least the...
  6. B

Hasivo S600WP-5GT-2S+

Varsågod! :D Yeah, you will probably need that setting. :) I'm thinking that the way it usually works in more expensive switches where the firmware is more polished is that the switch will try to read the programmed length of the DAC from the cable's EEPROM and then apply a configuration...
  7. B

Weird behavior with XikeStor 10Gb SFP+ switches

Do they work if you avoid using the DACs (and console cable)? I know that it doesn't make it very cost effective to have fiber transceivers for everything, but just curious. :)
  8. B

Broadcom 57810 cards - latest drivers?

I'm guessing that it depends on how much of the logic is happening in the updatable firmware code and how much is built into the chip itself. My understanding is that the new NBASE-T speeds are just the 10GBASE-T signaling but at lower frequencies (1/2 and 1/4 respectively). If the frequency is...
  9. B

Hasivo S600WP-5GT-2S+

1. The S600WP-5GT-2S+ is the L3 managed version of the switch, while the S600WP-5GT-2S+_SE is the L2 managed version. The non-SE version also has an RJ45 console port. However, the hardware appears to be essentially the same but with additional feature enabled in the firmware. If you open up the...
  10. B

Horaco 2.5GbE Managed Switch (8 x 2.5GbE + 1 10Gb SFP+)

Great find! :) How nice of them to leave the original MAC. Some of these other switches just use unregistered MAC addresses (presumably random), but at least they sometimes print the OEM logo on the PCB.
  11. B

Firewall + Upgrade Home Network to 10G

Those switches potentially look a bit too big to fit inside a media console, if that was the intention. If not, they might be good options, even if they cost roughly twice as much as some other options from less well-known brands. :)
  12. B

Firewall + Upgrade Home Network to 10G

Do you need it to route at 10G line rate? If so, the C3758/C3758R can't fully do that. It gets close with FD.io/VPP (something like TNSR), but is a bit more limited with pfSense/OPNsense (or any kernel based routing) as you can see from Netgate's own benchmarks for their Netgate 8200 appliance...
  13. B

Possible cause found for slower than expected 10gb networking performance.

I see. I'll have to check for that with my X710-DA2 which is in a slot that is effectively limited to 4 lanes since that's the connection between the X570 chipset and the CPU. I picked the card due to its low power consumption (and heat generation). Hopefully this doesn't become an issue.
  14. B

Lenovo X710 flashing with Dell Firmware?

And the nvmupdate.cfg file in older versions of the Dell firmware also have that commented out line referencing a missing file? Ok. My thinking was that they might've implemented an additional hardware check in there, but that assumes the OEMs actually get the source code for that executable...
  15. B

2.5Gb Mini-PCIe NICs in USFFs

The original RTL8156 has some issues. The RTL8156BG and RTL8156BSG should be the newer revision that tends to work just fine. Most dongles you buy now, including the cheap ones tend to be the new revision now. PCI-E in some form is better for a long term deployment though, if available. :)
  16. B

Oh, right. Yeah, then I don't know why it would fail. Seeing as cross-flashing the other way works, you would think it would work. :) If you dig around in the nvmupdate executable, do you see any hints of Dell modifications to it or is it the same as the executable from the Intel package?
  17. B

Horaco 2.5GbE Managed Switch (8 x 2.5GbE + 1 10Gb SFP+)

Yes, they are probably manufactured by the same company too. I think the management interface comes from the Realtek SDK for that platform, if I'm not mistaken. :) The only difference is likely the sticker on the front and the model number they set. You can customize the latter yourself using...
  18. B

e810-CQDA2 woes.

This is how I installed the Dell X710 firmware in a non-Dell system on Windows, if you can get past the embarrassment of using Windows to flash it. :D https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/differences-between-dell-branded-x710-da2-and-intel-branded-ones.41715/post-397125 I imagine...
  19. B

Thanks! :) For some reason I didn't find those threads last year when I looked for whether it was possible and for some reason I got the impression that cross-flashing these Intel OEM cards wasn't really a thing. I saw in another thread that at least the Dell firmware updater for the Intel...