Firewall + Upgrade Home Network to 10G

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Hop-Scotch

Mar 26, 2021
Usually I just lurk and am able to find what I need, or enough information to make a decision, but I'm stumped on this one.

First

I need help deciding on a firewall. Plan is to use OPNsense, and all the recently reviewed products and threads here have been helpful but has also caused me a lot of confusion. The plan for the overall network starts in the garage (where my server is) Modem --> Router --> 10G SFP+ L2+/L3 switch --> Server/Blue Iris/out to rest of house. For reference my current connection speed is 2000 down / 200 up, and I'm trying to build for the eventual 10G deployment.

Firewall/Router requirements:
2.5G Ports (to handle coming in from the current modem)
10G SFP+ Ports
Ability to handle VPN traffic (for when my family is away and I'm the offsite backup for a friend)

The C3758R platforms seem nice (in 1U, so probably the Qotom), and QAT is a plus, but from reading I don't think it will be all that helpful in the end (seems like the implementation is too old to actually accelerate VPN traffic under WireGuard). The n305 boxes (GoWin 1u) also seem nice, but the constant hardware revisions concern me. Then there is the Minisforum MS-01, seems absolutely overkill, but also useful for other things, and easily repurposed later. The plan was to run bare metal, but it seems like at least running ProxMox as the base for backups would be best, and in the end allow me to run a few more things once I'm comfortable with a virtualized router/firewall setup.

My confusion comes into play with how much processing power I actually need. Everyone seems concerned with routing vlans (which I will be setting up for all the standard stuff, iot/guest/ipcams/etc), but isn't that better handed off to the switch anyways, leaving the router to just handle internet traffic? I can't see any reason for my internal traffic to need to go through the router with a proper switch capable of routing vlans. I'd like to turn on all the extra security features, but I probably don't need that much. I also don't want to be feeling the pinch and need to purchase a new router in a couple years.

So unless I'm confusing something here, the C3758R or the n305 should handle everything just find on the router/firewall side, though with slower VPN performance than an I9 MS-01 (assuming no suricata/zenarmor).

The closest thing I've seen with posted numbers is the Protectli boxes, but at the time of writing this, they don't have updated numbers for the new Vault VP6670 which seems to be the closest comparison to the MS-01.

Power usage isn't a big concern, though I can see the appeal in a low power setup (server (dual E5-2650 v2 with 24 HDDs) idles at 270 watts, and is slated for eventual replacement). Cost isn't too big of a concern, total budget for redoing the network is $2500-$3000 (IPCams, poe switches, and everything associated with the security side is a separate budget).

Second

I need switch recommendations. Right behind the router the plan is a SFP+ aggregation switch, L2+/L3 (like TL2-F7120) so that it can handle all the talk between vlans without having to send it to the router, everything in the rack will be hooked up with fiber (or DAC), and a single transceiver to connect the media cabinet that is on a Cat6A run. Web GUI is a must, I haven't programmed a switch in over a decade at this point, and I have a new baby, time is limited to (re)learn a skill. I'd like to keep all the switches (therefor interfaces) the same for ease of management (since they should all be managed).

The only other switch I'll need is something 10G Base-T to place in my media cabinet for the home theatre stuff, an AP (yet to be determined, but wifi 6 with 2.5G PoE+ uplink), and then maybe from there it might hop into the attic on that side of the house for those cameras. Something with 2.5G ports with 10G uplinks would work, a PoE injector can be used for the AP, second 10G link can run to the switch for the cameras. Something like TPE-3102WS so it just has the power already?

I don't want to be paying licensing to use the hardware either. So while I typically buy a ton of stuff from eBay, if it's enterprise grade and I'll need to pay to keep using it, count it out.

If I've missed something please let me know, I think I've thought this all through, probably too much. I did price out a Unifi setup, and while slick looking, single pane management, and within range, I just don't like the walled garden nature of it especially since getting something like the UDM-SE for the 10G and 2.5G WAN ports just seemed like a waste of money, I won't be using Ubiquiti cameras (which would be required to use it as an NVR also), and I'm not sold on their APs.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Do you need it to route at 10G line rate? If so, the C3758/C3758R can't fully do that. It gets close with FD.io/VPP (something like TNSR), but is a bit more limited with pfSense/OPNsense (or any kernel based routing) as you can see from Netgate's own benchmarks for their Netgate 8200 appliance.

You are correct in that the QAT version in the Atom C3000 series can't accelerate WireGuard. If you happen to run IPSec or OpenVPN DCO with a supported cipher, it should be seriously quick though. :) I also prefer WireGuard though, so I certainly understand that choice.

You don't say what kind of VPN performance you need.

Regarding the switch in the media cabinet, requiring it to have the same management interface as the rest of them might be kind of limiting for those small (presumably fanless) 2.5G + 10G switches.

R3Z3N

Jan 29, 2024
I have c3758, but moved to a d-1541/d-1540 via PFSense. TNSR would be ideal. Soon upgrading to a d-2146NT however will be in a vm fo ha on a 5 node cluster....though the failover is a 5950x w 2x25gbps sfp28.

As stated the c3758 will not perform for 10gig, the d-1540 will.

For a multi gig switch w multigig and sfp+

Or w poe++ though not 802.11bt compliant but unaware of any prosumer APs that need that. Maybe if running a pc powered via 60w poe++ 802.11bt

Keep in mind pfsense may not be best choice if needing a l3 switch....

Last edited:

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
For a multi gig switch w multigig and sfp+

Or w poe++ though not 802.11bt compliant but unaware of any prosumer APs that need that. Maybe if running a pc powered via 60w poe++ 802.11bt

Keep in mind pfsense may not be best choice if needing a l3 switch....
Those switches potentially look a bit too big to fit inside a media console, if that was the intention. If not, they might be good options, even if they cost roughly twice as much as some other options from less well-known brands. :)

R3Z3N

Jan 29, 2024
^They have dimensions listed....depends on the "media console". One fits in mine...

The price IMO is not exorbiant at all. Paying 1/2 as much would have me worried.

As far as a decent web ui, if you want managed features, especially L2+/L3 I don't think anything really has that outside of Ubiquiti, but I would love to be proven wrong. Ubiquiti unfortunately does not have fully featured L3 functionality.

Hop-Scotch

Mar 26, 2021
Like I said, I'm probably over thinking a lot of this. Price wise it just seems easier to jump all the way to 10GB even though I'm not flowing that much data around the network currently.

Trying to plan appropriately so I don't have to route line rate, not that I'm generating that much data currently.

VPN performance is my concern because while everything from my server flows out through a VPN now (Unraid box), my whole network doesn't, but part of all of this change will be to send all the outbound networking through the VPN also. All my devices automatically connect back to my server via Wireguard currently when we leave the house and then back out to the internet. It worked well with my previous ISP speed, I haven't left the house much lately (my turn home with the baby) to see if it's still keeping up, but as network and ISP speeds increase I'm trying to not bottleneck since I don't want to have to make another change soon, that and I'm moving it off the dual E5 V2 to the firewall box I choose. Backups from friends and family to my server is all done through Wireguard VPN also, so I'm trying to have the hardware not be the bottleneck if I have multiple backups happening at once saturating my line.

All the media stuff is racked in an AV rack, so networking equipment will mount in just fine, noise from active cooling isn't too much of a concern, and fans can be replaced if needed.

The more recent ServeTheHome update to the mega 2.5G switch series was helpful, was actually the first time I've been able to find anyone go through a TRENDnet switch, which is one I've been considering. The TRENDnet does some L3, inter-VLAN routing, which is mostly what I'm looking for, though avoiding is still the goal.

Not quite the same as Ubiquiti, TP-Link Omada has their controller (hardware or software), and their lineup of switches also support inter-VLAN routing.

APs are going to be PoE+ for the Wifi6 with 2.5g backhaul to the switch, then 10g back to the rack in the garage. Thinking that a PoE+ injector or AC power for the 1 AP would be simplest, then I can hang a PoE switch for the internal cameras the wife now wants off a single port.

I hadn't looked at any of the FS stuff, so there's another rabbit hole, hopefully a shallow one since I'm further along in my research of needs and acceptance of my limitations of time and ability.

On the firewall side, I'm going to just start experimenting. I thinking getting myself practical data and time in use will be helpful. I have a pair of i7-10700 SFF boxes showing up later this week. I can use one to start testing out OPNSense when everyone is finally asleep so I'm not disturbing too much by taking the internet offline.

Thank you for your replies, recommendations, and examples.

Gerhen

Nov 29, 2023
First

I need help deciding on a firewall.
Was in this position last fall. I looked options from Protectli and competitors and none had a 10G option at the time. Pricing for a semi-powerful 2.5GigE model was also high (to me).

I ultimately settled on a refurbished Dell SFF with an i5 cpu and 16gb ram. I added a 256gb nvme SSD and a dual 10G SFP+ port Intel X520 pci card. All in this cost about $200US.

I can use one to start testing out OPNSense when everyone is finally asleep so I'm not disturbing too much by taking the internet offline.
What I did was plug the new firewall into the old and connect another PC to the new to configure it.

This way I was fully able to configure the router without disturbing the family. When it came time to swap the downtime was minimal as everything was configured to go.

Last edited: