Search results

1. S

Is SFP+ switch compatible with 10base-T copper wire?

I watched the NEW Sub $69 Fanless 2.5GbE Switches with 10GbE YouTube video, and all the network switches are SFP+ 10GbE LAN uplink (at least the 5 port switches I was looking at) and was wondering... My home network is CAT6 copper wiring, RJ45 ports. Is CAT6 copper wire 10base-T compatible...
  2. S

What performance sacrificed by running VMware vSphere

What performance do I sacrifice by running VMware vSphere (or other virtualization solution)? I don't know much about "bare metal" and all the offerings. Sounds ideal to have one super machine hosting other machines. I want one of the virtual machines to be my main workhorse, and several...
  3. S

Should I build a NUC HTPC?

My plan is to have a capable media server (i.e. Plex Media Server) in the backroom, and stream video to Plex Media Player to a device connected to my TV. For the player device at the TV, I'm thinking of building a compact and silent device, and came across Intel NUC. I also want the ability to...
  4. S

Need fan? (Supermicro C3000)

I'm looking at the Supermicro C3000 motherboard/processor series, and many do not come with a CPU fan, just a CPU heatsink. The models without the fan, do they require a chassis fan? Or do these models not produce the heat, therefore the heatsink is all that is needed? Thanks.
  5. S

Motherboard/CPU for SnapRAID

What are some motherboard/CPU options for SnapRAID that don't exceed the requirements to the point of wasting money? My only requirements are: Support for up to 8 drives ECC Thanks.
  6. S

Fanless PSU

Are there concerns about running a fanless PSU? Or does a fanless PSU depend on chasis fans? The server will be in the office, and would prefer less noise. The workload will mostly be from Intel Kaby Lake CPU and 8 x 5400 RPM drives.
  7. S

RPM's 5400 vs 7200 (Heat, Noise, Reliability)

I'm considering Western Digital RED 5400 RPM and Seagate Wolf 7200 RPM drives for my media server NAS with will stream over a wired network to my TV. I will install eventually a maximum of 8 drives. In regards to the RPM's of 5400 vs. 7200: Is there a heat difference I should consider? Is...
  8. S

Memory: Rank and Registered/Unbuffered

What is is the recommended memory configuration with the following requirements: System board: Supermicro X10SDV-4C-7TP4F Processor: Intel® Xeon® processor D-1518 The system board supports DDR4, 4 slots, dual rank, 4x data width. Purchasing 32GB, and potential for 64GB in future. I want...
  9. S

6TB Helium Drive Availability?

Any guesses why and when we'll see 6TB helium drives for our NAS's? Helium drives have been out for a while...and I don't understand why there's such a long delay. Thanks, Jake
  10. S

Differentiating NAS Hard Drives?

When considering hard drives for a home NAS, what features should be considered that differentiate Western Digital Red, Seagate Enterprise NAS, and Hitachi Deskstar NAS? Planning for up to 8 drives. Mostly for video media, photos, and small data files. 24x7 availability. Light home usage...
  11. S

Supermicro Flex ATX?

When it comes to matching the motherboard form factor to a case form factor, what should I know about Supermicro's Flex ATX form factor? I'm considering the Fractal Design Refine R5 (ATX, Micro ATX, Mini ITX form factor compatibility). Thanks.
  12. S

When should a CPU have a fan (D-1500)?

When should a CPU have a fan? I'm looking at the Supermicro D-1500 series (X10SDV-4C-7TP4F), and this motherboard is not offered with a fan. Is the TDP so low and being soldered, that fans aren't necessary?
  13. S

Memory: RDIMM vs UDIMM?

When would someone want RDIMM (registered/buffered) or UDIMM (unregistered/unbuffered) memory RAM? The SuperMicro D-1500 series motherbaords offer both RDIMM/UDIMM options. At most I plan on 32-64 GB. Speed? Reliability? Other attribute to consider? Thanks.
  14. S

Recommended GPU?

I'm considering building a Intel XeonE5-16XX v4 workstation. Intel didn't include a graphics processor. No gaming. What is the recommended graphics processor equivalent to Intel's GPU ?
  15. S

Where is the Xeon E5-1600 v4?

CPU World has on the calendar that Intel is releasing the Xeon E5-1600 v4 2016 Q1. Where is it? Is there a new update?
  16. S

Intel Workstation Processor?

When is Intel going to produce a true workstation processor, paired with equally optimized motherboards? I need ECC memory support, but the Xeon's appear to be more towards servers, and same with the motherboards. What I want is a desktop motherboard + Xeon for lots of SATA ports, ECC...
  17. S

Intel Xeon E5-2600 v4 Cooling?

What is the recommended CPU cooler for the Intel Xeon E5-2600 v4 / socket 2011? Low noise is important to me. Not overclocking. I might be going dual processors in the future too.
  18. S

Supermicro X11SAE M.2 attachment?

How does a M.2 drive attach to the Supermicro X11SAE/F M.2 socket? Does the drive attach directly to the motherboard like the Asus and Gigabyte? Or does the drive attach off the board, connected by a cable? If connected off the board, where do you put it? Photos? Thanks in advance, Jake
  19. S

Are drives on multiple controllers better than one?

I want to have 8 SATA drives, software RAID. Some motherboards have 1 controller with 8 ports, some have 2 controllers from different manufacturers for 4x4 ports, or the other option of 1 motherboard controller + LSI SAS/SATA. All of these choices support at least 8 drives. Is it better to...
  20. S

Gigabyte MW31-SP0: Why two SATA controllers?

Why did Gigabyte use two SATA drive controllers Intel + Marvell for a total of 8x SATA ports? Why not simply use the Intel C236 chipset 8x ports? Does having separate SATA controllers offer advantages/disadvantages? Ref: Gigabyte MW31-SP0 Thanks, Jake