Fanless PSU

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

snakyjake

Jan 22, 2014
Are there concerns about running a fanless PSU?

Or does a fanless PSU depend on chasis fans?

The server will be in the office, and would prefer less noise.

The workload will mostly be from Intel Kaby Lake CPU and 8 x 5400 RPM drives.

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
It depends on the amount of heat build up inside your case and around your components.
If your power supply is the only exhaust port, you would want one with a fan blowing out; otherwise,
no a fanless PSU won't really matter.

Bigger, lower RPM fans help.
An air conditioned office with cool ambient air will help too.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Some cpu offer hybrid mode where the fan only comes on when its needed.
I have a seasonic ps and the fan stayed off unless I loaded the system (benchmark or playing game)

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I have some Seasonic PSU that give you the option of hybrid or not, and in hybrid the fan does turn off but honestly any seasonic PSU or EVGA 2 or 3 will be silent enough even with a fan to be not noticeable in an office / desktop workstation environment.

When it comes to 2U+ servers and desktop/ATX style PSU ideally you want a rear-exiting fan not a top/bottom like SOME consumer ATX style PSU will do. I have a handful of 400w or so maybe 350w iirc, I forget exactly that are specifically made to intake in chassis and exit rear PSU these are ideal for 2U/server chassis.

herby

Aug 18, 2013
I have some Seasonic PSU that give you the option of hybrid or not, and in hybrid the fan does turn off but honestly any seasonic PSU or EVGA 2 or 3 will be silent enough even with a fan to be not noticeable in an office / desktop workstation environment.

When it comes to 2U+ servers and desktop/ATX style PSU ideally you want a rear-exiting fan not a top/bottom like SOME consumer ATX style PSU will do. I have a handful of 400w or so maybe 350w iirc, I forget exactly that are specifically made to intake in chassis and exit rear PSU these are ideal for 2U/server chassis.
I use Seasonic ATX PSU's in my 2u chassis: https://seasonic.com/product-category/industrial-products/pc-atx/

Models ending in ES seem to be the old fashion 80mm-fan-out-the-back design I prefer.
I have a couple of their highest wattage SS-600 ES in my Xenservers, and a SS-300 ES in my FreeNAS box. They are fairly quiet, but not super efficient at 80+ Bronze.

Personally I would be nervous running a fanless PSU in a server chassis. Most of them seem to have a vented section they want unobstructed and facing up for air flow/convection I guess.