Search results

1. SRussell

Is ECC still considered an absolute must with ZFS/BRTFS?

I have a SuperMicro Workstation that I am building into an unRAID server for Plex, Docker, and Home Assistant. The board: X12SAE-5 | Motherboards | Products | Supermicro The plan is 4x 10TB ZFS raidz1 - I have two SuperServers that run ECC and are my primary and secondary backup. I have a...
  2. SRussell

Anyone else run into Ebay failed searches?

I have had a hell of a frustrating time not finding what I am looking for. But, other members here have found exactly what I am looking for on the same platform. I am hoping it is not my Google Foo going to shit. I restricted search to ECC only, Ebay shows Non ECC as the second result and it...
  3. SRussell

[Purchased] [WTB][US-GA] LSI 9305-24i with 6x 8643 SATA

Looking to buy new or used LSI 9305-24i HBA along with six 8643 SAS to four SATA breakout. Looking for pricing sub $300 for new. Not sure what the market price is for a used HBA
  4. SRussell

Advice on purchasing an LSI 9305-24i

Getting back into IT after a few years and so much has changed in technology and Ebay. I am looking at the same controller from a US shipper and one in China. From a US seller, new HBA with no 8643 cables for $249 https://www.ebay.com/itm/145438794440 From a seller in China, new HBA with 6x...
  5. SRussell

Anyone suffer brain injury and having issues working in IT?

Six years ago I developed a wicked case of insomnia. In the end I have to take two Serotonin upticks and two benzodiazepines just to fall asleep. Failure to take the medication will leave me awake for 72+ hours. Four years ago I developed a bad brain fog. I am slow to recall events. I produce...
  6. SRussell

[WTB][US-GA] 2x SuperMicro AOC-SLG3-2M2

WTB two Supermicro AOC-SLG3-2M2 with low profile brackets.
  7. SRussell

Would you consider this exchange insulting?

User A on another platform listed an item for sale at $1000. User B posted: when your item does not sell in 3-4 weeks I’ll take it for $800 cash. I replied to B’s post that it was insulting to make a public declaration demanding 20% off and assuming the deal would close. Is my reply insulting...
  8. SRussell

WTB Ruckus ZoneFlex R720

Looking for a Ruckus ZoneFlex R720. Shipping to GA, 30542.
  9. SRussell

[WTB] SuperMirco CSE-846B within 100m of 30542

Tossing it out there.. maybe someone has a Supermicro CSE-846B chassis they are looking to sell. It does need to be model B which supports Drive Kit MCP-220-84610-0N. If your chassis already has the drive kit I would want to purchase that as well. Located in 30542 and would want to pickup the...
  10. SRussell

Please delete thread

Removing information.
  11. SRussell

[SOLVED] Resolving memory speed issue with Supermicro X10SRL-F

Running a Supermicro X10SRL-F with Intel Xeon E5-2650 V4. I have run into an issue where any 2400Mhz DIMM I use in the motherboard clocks in at 2133Mhz. I have tried these DIMM modules: SAMSUNG M393A4K40BB1-CRC4Q 32GB SAMSUNG M393A4K40BB1-CRC4Q 32GB MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3B1 32GB I am...
  12. SRussell

FS or trade: Synology DS3617xs / 32GB RAM / 2x 10GbT networking

Synology DS3617xs upgraded RAM to 32GB and added dual port Intel 10GbT Pet-free smoke-free home environment. 2 years 3 months warranty left $2,199 $28 shipping Paypal accepted ships from GA, 30542 Open to trades and offers
  13. SRussell

Rack newbie - cage nut hell

Finally bit the bullet and bought a 24U rack; nice little APC unit. Guy selling also threw in a bag of cage nuts and screws. After mentally stepping on a few pieces of Lego bricks I realized that there are three different sizes of cage nut threads. Lucky me; I have a bag of evenly mixed sizes...
  14. SRussell

Are Samsung PM961 NVMe enterprise drives?

I am looking at the Samsung 1TB PM961 NVMe drive: Amazon.com: Samsung 1TB PM961 Single Sided 80mm (2280/2280SS) M.2 PCI Express 3.0 x4 (PCIe Gen3 x4) OEM NVMe SSD - MZVLW1T0HMLH: Computers & Accessories Reading the item description it says this a client drive. Would that mean these are consumer...
  15. SRussell

Would you share details about your VMware lab setup

Looking to learn as much as I can about designing, creating and testing a VMware infrastructure. Would you mind sharing what's in your lab, why you made a particular design decision, and anything you want to share about learning, breaking, and troubleshooting your lab? Do you blog about your...
  16. SRussell

FS: US-GA : Ubiquiti equipment for sale

Pricing is for each unit including shipping $500 - 1x UniFi Managed PoE+ Gigabit 48 RJ45 Port 500W Switch - includes 2x SFP+ and 2x SFP - open box $120 - 1x Unifi AP AC Pro - New in box $280 - 1x Unifi Dream Machine - New in box SOLD $120 - 1x Unifi AP AC Pro - New in box $90 - 1x EdgeRouter...
  17. SRussell

ESXi install on SataDOM: failed logins

I ran into an issue logging into ESXi 6.7u3 on a SuperMicro motherboard with a SataDOM as the install drive. Using the web console or iKVM gives me the same error: "Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password." I checked all the basic stuff, reinstalled, replaced with a...
  18. SRussell

Posting pictures in the forum

Is there a maximum size set for uploading .jpg files? What is the preferred image hosting site if we are linking inside a post? I tried to use imgur with a public link and it just shows a box with a red X.
  19. SRussell

Clarification/Explanation of top of rack switch

I was reading about a Mellanox 100GbE switch. The info doc attributes it as a top of rack switch. Googling top of rack defines it as a design spec where servers connect to the switch in the rack. However, it also states that the switch can be located anywhere in the rack. If I had to explain...
  20. SRussell

Looking for SuperMicro backplane BPN-SAS3-846EL1-N8

Anyone using the BPN-SAS3-846EL1-N8 backplane? I have not been able to find anyone who sells the backplane and every reseller I have reached out to has never seen the backplane or chassis it belongs to. The manual is here: https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/other/BPN-SAS3-846EL1-N8.pdf...