ESXi install on SataDOM: failed logins

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SRussell

Oct 7, 2019
US
I ran into an issue logging into ESXi 6.7u3 on a SuperMicro motherboard with a SataDOM as the install drive. Using the web console or iKVM gives me the same error: "Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password."

I checked all the basic stuff, reinstalled, replaced with a different keyboard, swapped with a different SataDOM, changed SataDOM ports and they all exhibit the same behavior no matter what password I choose. If I install to a SATA drive connected to the motherboard I have no issues. I even reinstalled and used my initial password.

I decided to test out another box and ran into the exact same issue with another SuperMicro motherboard and SataDOM. Installing to a SATA connected disk or a SATA/SAS disk connected to an LSI card and it works fine.

The odd part is everything works fine installing on a Xeon-D 1540 or 1541. I used the SataDOMs that previously failed in the other systems and they install without any issue when used in the Xeon-D board.