Search results

1. D

Intel S3610 - Anyone have them yet?

I'm just wondering how they perform. I haven't seen any real reviews.
  2. D

Intel XL710-QDA2 - $549

Has anyone gotten one of these yet? Intel XL710QDA2BLK PCIe 3 0 x8 Dual Port Ethernet Converged Network Adapters | eBay 2x QSFP+ 40Gb ethernet ports that can be split using breakout cables to 4x 10GbE. I'd imagine this is best in class network card right now. I'm also thinking that for...
  3. D

Using a m.2 pcie ssd for a web server. Terrible idea?

I saw these Plextor M6e's for $400 for 512GB --- Plextor M6E M 2 2280 512GB M 2 PCI Express X2 Solid State Drive MLC | eBay It's really expensive on a per GB basis, but here's the thing - what if I ran a web server on that kind of drive? There is a mysql db but it's like under 20% writes...
  4. D

Managing a motherboard with NO VIDEO - how?

We're looking at the new Brocade Vyatta distribution that has DPDK integration so that Xeon E3-1125C motherboard Patrick reviewed a few months ago is lookin' attractive. The issue is that it doesn't have any video out. I'm used to iKVM so if a server panics, I can see what's going on. With no...
  5. D

Mix and Match DDR3 RDIMMs with Xeon E5?

Here's my situation. I have 8 DDR3L RDIMMs and 16 4GB DDR3L RDIMMs. I have a motherboard with 24 DIMM slots. Can I do 8GB in 4 slots per CPU then 8x 4GB in the remaining slots? Or do all have to be the same size? So like 8 4 4 8 4 4 CPU 4 4 8 4 4 8 What about if I did 8 4 8 4 CPU 4 8 4 8?
  6. D

mdadm hot spare question

I'm trying to make a server we are going to deploy in our datacenter. I want to have two RAID 1 mdadm arrays. I then want to have two extra SSDs that will be there as global "hot-spare" more or less. So they can be used in either array if a drive fails. How do I do this with mdadm? Is it...
  7. D

ASRock C2550 storage motherboard

I just saw this ASRock C2550D4I one ebay: $266 ASRock C2550D4I Intel Avoton C2550 2 4GHz DDR3 SATA3 V 2GbE Mini ITX | eBay I figured I would pass along for those building whitebox Xpenology servers. Over $100 cheaper.
  8. D

ASUS VivoPC-VM40B-02 HTPC?

ASUS VivoPC-VM40B-02 Desktop PC Celeron 1007U (1.50GHz) 4GB DDR3 500GB HDD Windows 8.1 64-bit – NeweggFlash.com $239 4GB/ 500gb hd/ Celeron 1007u Comes with a Win 8.1 license, a case, psu and a keyboard/ mouse which I don't know when I'd use. Only 1 network port but this seems like a compact...
  9. D

ARM Development Boards

Anyone see sources for ARM boards? I'm looking for a gigabit Ethernet port, an ARMv8 CPU and 4GB of RAM. I saw places like variscite.com and they have ARM gigabit and 4GB. No ARMv8 and no ordering info. Seems like there are many proof of concept (like this The first Spark/Hadoop ARM cluster...
  10. D

Does anyone know what 5TB drive is in here?

I was looking for 4TB wd reds when I saw 5TB drives at shockingly low prices: The $189 Seagate option - Amazon.com: Seagate Expansion USB 3.0 5TB Desktop External Hard Drive (STBV5000100): Computers & Accessories The $218 Seagate option - Amazon.com: Seagate Backup Plus 5TB Desktop External...
  11. D

Help: Testing Mellanox ConnectX-3 - not connecting

I need to find a picture host but here is the config: Physical environment Server with a ConnectX-3 354A card (IB + Ethernet one) FDR QSFP Cable connecting Port 0 to Port 1 on the card Link established and verified via lights on the card Hypervisor Environment Windows Server 2012 R2...
  12. D

WD RED 3TB $124.99 + Prime shipping

The WD RED drives are the lowest I have seen: Amazon.com: WD Red 3 TB NAS Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD30EFRX: Computers & Accessories Average price between August and Jan from what I've seen was $130-135. Bought one to console myself since the Dolphins are not in the...
  13. D

Mellanox Open Compute Video

Not the most action packed but maybe someone here cannot wait for OpenFlow/ Opencompute 10gig and 40gig: http://youtu.be/ueqcr1fmrUQ
  14. D

Microsoft Surface RT 32GB $170

OK so I know a lot of people are going to think I'm crazy but check this one: Windows Surface Tablet with 32GB Memory 10 6" Surface 32GB 0885370528411 | eBay Sure it isn't going to be the fastest out there but for a cheap internet browsing tablet with a built-in stand not bad. Factor in you...
  15. D

Supermicro 732i-500B Case (EATX with power supply) $125 w/ Prime

Free shipping with prime and a case that fits EATX (12x13") motherboards: Amazon.com: Supermicro 500 Watt Mid Tower Super Chassis, Black (CSE-733I-500B): Computers & Accessories Comes with a 500w bronze power supply too.
  16. D

ASUS Z9PE-D8 Question

Hey guys - I was reading the recent review here ASUS P9X79-E WS Review I do want to build may next workstation as a Hyper-V test server with Windows 8.1. Reading the comments on the review, the Z9PE-D8 can handle 2 processors right? When I looked up the motherboard on ASUS's specifications...
  17. D

What is the formatted/ usable capacity of the Crucial M500 960GB Drive?

Was thinking of buying one as they are falling in price. Amazon.com: Crucial M500 960GB SATA 2.5-Inch 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter/spacer) Internal Solid State Drive CT960M500SSD1: Computers & Accessories
  18. D

What is the current OS of choice for Napp-it All-in-One?

I'm looking to build one soon and wanted to see what people are using for a napp-it all-in-one system using ESXi 5.5 as the hyper-visor
  19. D

Intel C2000 series - where are all the products?

Long time lurker wanting to get engaged. Here it goes. Where are all the Xeon C2000 products? I would have thought with a SOC design that we would see them everywhere. I saw this TR article Inside Intel's Atom C2000-series 'Avoton' processors - The Tech Report - Page 1 and I'm wanting to...