Search results

1. T

Multi USB Drives & FreeNAS

I have a FreeNAS server which works great. I decided I wanted an everyday extra sever and planned using an old Mac Mini with 4 USB drives. I installed FreeNAS on the Mac without any problems. Problems arise when I plug in the 4 Seagate Expansion Desk external USB drives. I only see one or...
  2. T

SAS2 expanders $60 (IBM, LSI chip, Intel alternative)

You need to update the firmware on the IBM expander 46M0997 to 634a. I had weeks of problems until I did the firmware update. I am running Freenas without any problems now after updating the firmware. This is not that easy but is well covered in this thread, particularly all the input by "The...
  3. T

Thanks for all your valued input. My setup consists of 2 x 8 Bay Silverstone cases + The main case a Fractal Node 804. This gives me a total capacity of 26 x 3.5" and 10 x 2.5" drives. I am using 16 x 4tb & 6 x 8tb (yet to be installed) and 1 SSD for Freenas Jails. I chose to go with 2 separate...
  4. T

The following tests were carried out copying folders of around 1.5TB. Each folder containing sub folders each containing a handful of small files along with 1 large .MKV file of about 8GB. All file copies were carried out using the Freenas CLI. All tests are in a real world situation and...
  5. T

Thanks for that. I did identify the FW with Linux but it is nice to know some of this is built into Freenas.
  6. T

My initial task is to move around 25TB from one pool to the other. When I did some preliminary tests with all the drives connected to the one expander I only managed to achieve 148MB/s. This was from within the Server and not dependant on any network connections. Still a lot of testing to do, I...
  7. T

Sorry, don't know what happened there.
  8. T

If I do find performance is an issue I may well need to go back to the 510A but at this point I am hoping I can solve the problems by different combinations of expanders and HBAs, I have 2 of each so I could use the 2 outputs from the LSI SAS 9207-8E to feed the 2 expanders each driving 1...
  9. T

Yes, do let one and all if you do change expander. I have my own problems with performance on the IBM expander which I will update. As for the staggered power situation I have done some tests and the expander can be powered from a small 12v PSU. I tried running the expander from a Seagate...
  10. T

Panic over, all installed and expander successfully updated to 634a. Just need to test it now. Many thanks TOM, you really are "THE BLOKE"
  11. T

Just to throw in my own experience with the 510a firmware. I too would only see 3 drives if the whole system was powered at the same time but I had other problems with my SATA drives. On pulling out the drives and reinserting them to force the expander to detect them some of the attached 8...
  12. T

Well, slowly getting there but for some reason the sg_write_buffer package won't install. Tried both from the supplied links, tried double clicking the files as well as right click and picking "Open with software install" which opens up an installer, click install but when I try to run the fw...
  13. T

IBM 46M0997 Expander - Problems

The problem remains, if the M1015 can't see the expander would it still be possible to update the firmware over DOS. If so what packages would I need and more to the point where would I get the firmware from ?
  14. T

Don't have any problem with the M1015 and have already found and tested flashing the M1015 to IT mode. The problem is with the Expander, no issues with my 2 HBAs
  15. T

Hi, thanks for the input. Already read the thread you sent me which also talks about firmware updates but despite all my efforts I can't find any firmware online. Also the only way to do the firmware update is through the expander being connected to the HBA and at this moment my IBM LSI...
  16. T

I brought 2 of these off ebay from the same company. One of the expanders works without any problems but if I swap out the first one with the second one it does not work. I tried the board with just power, a green and an orange LED light up then the orange one goes out leaving just the green...