Search results

1. W

Introduction to the HP Elite t655 Thin client - a cheap "lower power" AMD NUC from the suits at HP

WANg submitted a new resource: Introduction to the HP Elite t655 Thin client - your cheap little AMD NUC alternative - Might be a good toy to play with once the pricing starts to drop... Read more about this resource...
  2. W

HP t755 Elite Thin Client announced

So yeah, HP just announced the t755 Elite, which will be the successor for the t740. HP's not known for keeping mum on the specs since most info were previously leaked from Igel, TCO and HDCP certification (where we learned that it's called the Inventec Puffin) So what's the highlights? Ryzen...
  3. W

Adapting the Framework laptop motherboard as a ghetto-ish NUC? Eeeeeh...

Well, I am sure that the interest for doing so are there, and I am probably not the only person who has an idle framework motherboard (soon to be 2 once the AMD Phoenix one shows up) laying around. So, repurposing the framework board like a NUC/Not-so-TMM - good idea, or bad idea? Generally...
  4. W

TinyMiniMicro2Go - messing with mobile thin clients for fun...

So yeah, I recently bought an HP mt46 thin client for less than 275 USD - well, not this one, but same seller. So it just arrived at my home...and I am starting to have second thoughts...about my 9 month old Framework i5 11th Gen subnotebook (with the i5-1135G7). I spent close to 1300 USD on...
  5. W

What the heck did HP just announce? ("Next Gen Ryzen R-series mini-desktop....?)

So yeah, this just hit the newswires (Crosslink to Liliputing). So the gist is that HP just pre-announced a few products, and one might be of interest to the TMM crowd - a t655 thin client meant to be powered by a "Next Gen Ryzen R-series". Considering that the current R-series is just a...
  6. W

Hardware security for your homelab….

Just installed some badly needed security to defend my homelab from outside threats - getting it configured and installed took ages… Maybe @Patrick can do a video…?
  7. W

(US) HP t740 thin client, 270 USD + 18 USD shipping

Well, looks like the guys at Laptops for Less is back with another potentially interesting offering (note: I am not affiliated with them, but I am an occasional customer). No Wifi+BT and it’s HP ThinPro, so it’s not the SKU with Win10 IoT. Me and the guys bought from them previously during the...
  8. W

Intel i350 dual NIC MiniPCIe adapters - legit/workable for TMM nodes?

Honestly can’t tell if this is a real product - will an i350-T2 even fit in such a size/thermal envelope? The manufacturer claims 3w of power usage…?!
  9. W

(US) DFI Strikes again with a DT-122-GH, V1807B and PCIe 3.0x16 for 370 USD. Another HP thin client SFF workalike?

So for those who likes the original DT122 (with the RX427BB)...well, DFI is at it again. Let's see what's in this box? No no, it's a HP t740 analog but with a PCIe 3.0x16 slot, a Ryzen embedded V1807B (equivalent to a Ryzen 7 2700H), 8GB of RAM and a 128GB SSD. Not sure how it fares...
  10. W

Dell Wyse 5070 / 5070 extended thin clients

WANg submitted a new resource: Dell Wyse 5070 / 5070 extended thin clients - Everything you want to know about Gemini Lake but can't be bothered to google yourself Read more about this resource...
  11. W

Cisco Moderro IEC/IEP-4650/4660 series managed smart displays

WANg submitted a new resource: Cisco Moderro IEC/IEP-4650/4660 series - Get a cheap little box on Cisco's tab. Or not. Read more about this resource...
  12. W

EXPIRED (US) - Oh look, hell just froze over - HP t740 thin clients are back below 400 USD (375 to 400, Wifi/BT or not)

Yep, the prices went temporarily cray-cray during the 'rhona pandemic silicon shortages, but it looks like the guys at laptops for less on Long Island got some in stock (they are the same folks responsible for the t640 deals). These usually go for at least 600 per unit. It's best offer so who...
  13. W

EXPIRED US - Lenovo m75n Nano, 200 USD (CDW Outlet)

So yeah, looks like someone threw a Lenovo m75n Nano onto CDW's outlet site. Athlon Silver 3050e (25% slower than the Ryzen R1505 in the t640 thin client), 8GB RAM (soldered), 256GB SSD (most likely M2 NVMe), 1 NIC with Win10 IoT. it's tiny little machine that uses lenovo's "yellow USB port"...
  14. W

Checkpoint Firewalls - *grrrrr*

So, just out of counting hands - how many of us supports Checkpoint firewall/network appliances at $dayjob, and how many of us actually enjoy / trust using them? I don't have a very high opinion of them. Does anyone share my sentiments?
  15. W

Checkpoint OS installer thumb drive without Isomorphic?

Quick stupid question - I am trying to resurrect an old Checkpoint 4400/T120 firewall in the office - one that seem to have been neglected (OS dating back to E75.40?) - so it's pretty obvious that I am not a current Checkpoint licensee (and considering that the hardware is EOL at the end of...
  16. W

So, who wants an X-Box One home server?

Hm...So yeah, looks like Anandtech was able to get their hands on an obscure little box from the AsiaPac market that seems to correspond quite well to the X-Box One Durango. The writeup was...interesting. Although my guess is that on the CPU end, the R1505G from a t640 thin client will whomp...
  17. W

(US) Mysterious Supermicro Xeon-D Server is mysterious (690 USD)

So, who wants to speculate on which model currently listed on CDW outlet just so happened to be? My guess...SuperServer E300 or E302 9D series?
  18. W

HP's new toy (or your future disposable Ryzen embedded box for 2021/2022)

Well, it looks like HP once again accidentally leaked the spec sheet and the disassembly part-out for their new t540 thin client. This is a fairly interesting beastie as it's meant to be the cheap-but-cheerful (read: no soldered RAM/storage component) version of the t640. One RAM slot instead...
  19. W

HP t420 thin client - penny pincher of marginal serverage

WANg submitted a new resource: HP t420 thin client - next generation automated penny pincher of marginal serverage - You have a 50 dollar bill in your wallet. You can either have a Glenlivet 12 or this... Read more about this resource...
  20. W

Ulysses S. Grant, grant me the strength to steamroll bracteates and annoy @Patrick at the same time! (the ultra-cheapskate server challenge)

I was doing some writing over the weekend (well, it's an upcoming article related to the ongoing TinyMiniMicro project thread), and while musing about the utility of running server tasks on those tiny little cheap machines, my wife pointed to my pile of unused Raspberry Pi Zeros, Pi 2s and...