Search results

1. R

Supermicro X10SDV: how to get into BIOS?

I just updated bios on my X10SDV mobo using dos-formated USB-stick, everything went well (usb-attached keyboard worked, so I could start the process with "flash.bat x10sdvf8.213"). At the end it says to reboot, so I rebooted, and now I want to get into bios, but simply can't. I tried <Delete>...
  2. R

Intel Hyperthreading bug...

It seems all Intel Skylake/Kabylake CPUs (i3, i5, i7, xeon e3) have bug in hyperthreading affecting every OS. Solution is to disable HT in bios, or update to the latest microcode...
  3. R

SSD for ZIL/SLOG?

I'm building small server with local storage using ZFS as file-system. As it is SSD-only, I suppose I do not need extra SSD for L2ARC, but I still need separate media for ZIL/SLOG. From what I have read, Intel-SSDs are ahead of competition, but I'm facing certain limitations. Because my HW has...
  4. R

X10SDV-mobo in SC504 case...

Did anyone try to use SuperMicro SC504-case for X10SDV-series motherboard? Mobo has 24+6 pin power-header, but PSU in SC504 has 20-pin connector (+some 8-pin, I suppose for gfx). I'm not sure what to do now: simply put 20-pin cable into 24-pin motherboard header and that's it? Or do I have to...
  5. R

PCIe 16x card in PCIe 4x slot?

My motherboard has only one PCIe 8x (now used by raid-controller) and a few PCIe 4x slots, and I need graphic card (passthrough to VM). Now my question is: If I manage to fit PCIe 16x graphic card into PCIe 4x slot, will it work? All I need is GFX with "symbolic" DX11-support, with no extra...
  6. R

Proper way of replacing failed raid-controller?

Let's say raid-controller died and I want to replace it while preserving old raid-arrays. What is proper way to do it? Obviously, I get the same controller with the same firmware version (which I keep in reserve for exactly this case). Then I remove the old controller, insert the new one, and...
  7. R

SSD Endurance Experiment update: 2PB!

In case you missed the latest Techreport's update: Samsung 840Pro/256GB and Kingston HyperX-3k/240GB reached 2 petabytes of written data and still continue (Corsair Neutron, Intel 335, Samsung 840 non-pro and other HyperX-3k died already). Very impressive results, for relatively cheap consumer...
  8. R

Bad firmware?

Did anyone try to flash LSI-9266/M5016 with 23.29.0-0016 firmware? After I did, I'm experiencing problems with supercap. At boot-up I get a message: "...battery is missing or malfunctioning, or the battery is unplugged, or the battery could be fully discharged..." I'm pretty sure I never seen...
  9. R

How can I "recognize" physical drives?

If one of drives in raid-array fails, how can I say which one is it? I mean, physically, so that I replace really the failed one. I have raid-controller with 2x SFF-8087 ports (vertical). In each of them are SFF-8087/4xSATA cables, with lines marked as P0, P1, P2, P3. Right now, I have only 4...
  10. R

SSD: 3D era comes?

In case you did not notice: Samsung released the first SSD with V-NAND (or 3D NAND): 850Pro Series SSD! It is basically 840Pro, updated with new multi-layered MLC NAND cells (in the current Samsung's generation it is up to 32 layers). It looks very promissing and I can't wait to see SM843T...
  11. R

How can I revert SSD to original (empty) condition?

OMG, I just made one stupid thing: enthusiastic over my raid-controller and SSDs I just plugged them in my server, created raid-array, fomated, loaded my VMs, started. Just after a few days I realised I did not left any free (unformated) space for extra over-provisioning! :-( I can re-format...
  12. R

Sm843t eol ???

I just wanted to order one more Samsung SM843T/480GB Data Center Series SSD, but reseller told me these drives are "EOL". He told me Samsung does not deliver them anymore (at least not to EU-resellers). Does anyone know if this is true? Is SM843T going to be replaced by some other series...
  13. R

Winkom Powerdrive SLX-8 ???

Has anyone ever heard of (or has any experience with) Winkom Powerdrive SLX-8 SSD? Its specification looks quite interesting: 550/520 MB/s, random 4k IOPS 80k/68k, SLC (Intel NAND flash), SF-2281 controller. Price 289€ for 128GB seems to me to be suspiciously low for SLC. Moreover I did not...
  14. R

Samsung 840 Pro or Intel S3500?

I need small storage for ~10VMs on my ESXi-server. Right now I need about 150GB, with perspective of up to 200GB by the end of this year. R/W ratio? Anything between 2:1 and 5:1 (hard to guess). Controller is M5016. I narrowed down my options to these 2 for about the same price (if there is some...
  15. R

M5016 vs M5015...

While I was looking for IBM M5015 (with intention to cross-flash it to LSI 9260) I found IBM M5016. I think now of M5016 as substitution, but I do not know what the differencies are. I know M5015 is SAS2108-based, while M5016 uses SAS2208. But I have a few questions: Q1: Can M5016 be...
  16. R

Cache 1GB, 512MB, 256MB: what difference does it make?

Hi forum-members, I was looking for IBM M5015, but now I can get IBM M5014 (with iBBU) for quite good price. I' ready to go for it, but it has "only" 256MB of cache. I know M5015 has 512MB, and some LSI-models (9270?) even 1GB. So I want to ask: Does it make a big difference? And if it...
  17. R

3x120GB/raid5, or 2x240GB/raid1?

Hi forum members, I'm building my esxi-server, I want to use local storage for VMs and I have two options: a) either I buy 3x 120GB SSD (SM843T) and put them in raid5 (controller is LSI-9260) b) or 2x 240GB SSD (the same type) for raid1 (the same controller) Both ways I get ~240GB of...
  18. R

Cross-flashing M5015: The latest working LSI-firmware?

First, greetings to all forum-members from passer-by! I just obtained IBM M5015 controller and was scared by terribly long boot-time, so I started looking for some info and found this forum by chance. I have a few questions, but please be patient with me, because I'm complete noob concerning...