Bad firmware?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rhinox

May 27, 2013
Did anyone try to flash LSI-9266/M5016 with 23.29.0-0016 firmware? After I did, I'm experiencing problems with supercap. At boot-up I get a message:

"...battery is missing or malfunctioning, or the battery is unplugged, or the battery could be fully discharged..."

I'm pretty sure I never seen this message with previous firmware version (23.28.0-0015). Supercap does not take any time to charge (ok, only very short), so it should not be "discharged". I have two identical controller, so I took supercap from the other one, attached to this controller (with updated firmware), and guess what! The same message...

Then I tested both supercaps with the other controller (still with previous firmware). No problem was detected. This bring me to assumption there really might be something wrong with the latest firmware...

UPDATE: I flashed back the previous firmware (23.28.0-0015):
./storcli /c0 download file=mr2208fw.rom noverchk

Guess what? Yes, the problem with battery/supercap dissapeared. So there is definitely something wrong with fw 23.29.0-0016...

Last edited:

Rhinox

May 27, 2013
UPDATE 2: apparently LSI/Avago discovered this problem and released new firmware some time ago (23.32.0-0009). But apart from controller-firmware, one more step is required: "Gas-Gauge" (GG) firmware update (part of CacheVault).

Update-instructions are quite clear in the attached pdf-file, but unfortunatelly I did not find current (old) GG-firmware and I do not know how to extract it from CacheVault using StorCLI. So as I see it there is no way back if something goes wrong (as it was with controller-firmware I described above). While this is my "production" esxi-server I decided to stick with the old firmware (23.28.0-0015) and not to update. If someone else did go through this step, please share your experience...