Proper way of replacing failed raid-controller?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rhinox

May 27, 2013
Let's say raid-controller died and I want to replace it while preserving old raid-arrays. What is proper way to do it?

Obviously, I get the same controller with the same firmware version (which I keep in reserve for exactly this case). Then I remove the old controller, insert the new one, and attach cables to the same ports as on the old controller. What to do now? Simply boot-up, expecting everything works? I doubt it's that simple. Or do I have to go to controller-bios and re-construct arrays? How can I do it without loosing data?

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
It would depend on the controller, the LSI-based ones have the metadata stored on disk so you would "import" the configuration. This allows you to move between cards as well if you decide to upgrade the card. We've swapped enclosures and cards this way.

Reactions: Rhinox

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
HP controllers store the array config (ris) on the disks as well, and auto import the arrays.

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
Be careful though. One time took a 4 drive RAID 10 from a H310 and put it on a H1110 and it trashed the array.

Reactions: Patriot

Rhinox

May 27, 2013
I just tested it and I can confirm it works. I did not have to do anything else, just physically replace controller. Configuration was automatically imported, without user intervention. In bios, boot-order remained the same, listing raid-controller as primary boot-device. It was really very easy...

I know probability of disk-failure is probably much higher, but I just wanted to be sure I know how to replace controller too, before moving my server to collo-center...

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Be careful though. One time took a 4 drive RAID 10 from a H310 and put it on a H1110 and it trashed the array.
read README first, usually there is a warning migration from older to newer :D

as I know on adaptec, newer card does not accept older (card) metadata aka trash away

I did on adaptec 5 years ago from realy old card to adapetc 3 series, the 3 series magically migrate all of metadata and drives, with one condition: befor migration, MAKE sure you RAID is in healty condition (plus backup is needed, when one drive is failing during migration).

LSI is pretty good too

and forget on DELL, they use heavily customized firmware....
H310 is dell product and H1110 is IBM/Lenovo product, basically you are trying to cross-over :D, not migrating.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I just tested it and I can confirm it works. I did not have to do anything else, just physically replace controller. Configuration was automatically imported, without user intervention. In bios, boot-order remained the same, listing raid-controller as primary boot-device. It was really very easy...

I know probability of disk-failure is probably much higher, but I just wanted to be sure I know how to replace controller too, before moving my server to collo-center...
migration(replacing old with new hardware) should be painless.
I did on adaptec ( series 3) and OEM LSI(move from 9240 to 9260) too.