Search results

1. D

Motherboard won't power, video or POST... but IPMI works

I have a Supermicro X9DRi-F mobo that won't power on (and obviously doesn't display video nor POST), but IPMI works. When I plug in power, the PSU fan spins up for a second then stops. Pressing or holding the power button yields nothing. Pressing and/or holding the power button repeatedly like a...
  2. D

12G SFF-8643 cables and U.2...?

I have U.2 NVMe 2.5" SSD drives. I'm looking to get the Icy Dock U.2 NVMe 5.25" to 4 bay enclosure which has 4 x SFF-8643 connectors. I'll connect those with a 4 port SFF-8643 to PCI-e 3.0 x16 card. The problem is, all SFF-8643 cables I see available are listed as up to 12G mini-SAS. I know NVMe...
  3. D

multiple NVMe SSD cards - still unclear

I currently have 3 x NVMe U.2 PCI-e 2.5" SSDs each on it's own U.2 to PCI-e adapter card. I'd like to free up PCI-e slots and use dual or quad port x8 or x16 PCI-e adapter card(s). Posts I find regarding these types of cards are outdated, incomplete, conclude without a clear verdict and/or...
  4. D

help getting basic functionality on Quanta LB9A switch

Got a Quanta T1048 LB9A 48 port gigabit & 4 port 10 Gbe (SFP+) switch, but can't figure out how to reset it and configure it. I've tried various commands piecemealed from manuals and guides for similar models LB9 and LB6M, but I can't string together any success. I just need basic functionality...
  5. D

Mellanox ConnectX-3 interfaces disappear

I'm trying to speed test some Mellanox ConnectX-3 dual port 40GbE NICs on my LGA2011 servers (using a Linux live USB, System Rescue CD) and I'm getting this weird behavior where the assigned interface/logical name disappears (i.e., en25ps0) when I connect a QSFP+ network cable to a port. If I...
  6. D

40 GbE with Mellanox ConnectX-3 in Ethernet mode?

Can you get the 40 GbE speeds with a Mellanox ConnectX-3 VPI adapter in Ethernet mode or must it be in Infiniband mode? If the latter, can the required subnet manager software run in Linux or a docker?
  7. D

getting lost... local storage, FreeNAS+local storage or FreeNAS+DAS for VM storage?

I'm about to add my 2nd VM host (ESXi) and I will being add more hosts in the near future, so I figured I need to consider piecing together some shared storage for the VMs. I've been searching for a couple of days now, but can't find a concrete answer - I understand local storage for VMs will...
  8. D

getting traffic via both 1 Gb and 10 Gb NICs with FreeNAS and ESXi setup

I set up a ESXi (6.7 u3) datastore on a FreeNAS NFS share. The connection is 10GbE via a 10GbE switch. When running CrystalDiskMark to benchmark VMs' disk performance, the reads are going through each server's gigabit NIC and the writes are going through each server's 10GbE NIC. The 10GbE NICs...
  9. D

2U rackmount chassis with horizontal/full height PCI-e?

Are there any 2U rackmount chassis out there that feature both vertical half height AND horizontal full height PCI-e/expansion openings similar to the chassis pictured below?? Or even 2U with just horizontal full height openings? P.S. - I have the chassis pictured, but it appears it's designed...
  10. D

Flex ATX won't fit 2U server case

I picked up a Arndt 2U server case (D-216-WM-SAM01) from jameco.com and a Apevia ITX-AP300W flex ATX power supply to go with it. The problem is the power supply appears to fit/be the correct size, but the mounting holes don't line up (see attached photo). I'm not sure if this is a defect of the...
  11. D

reconfigure or new build?: Blue Iris and Plex combo box

I currently have my Blue Iris build in a 1.5U rackmount case w/ Core i3-8100 & mini-itx mobo (full specs below). The problem is CPU temps is currently an issue as it's hitting 180+ degrees F - likely due to the lack of air flow (the front case fans are blocked by the RAM modules, the 1U CPU...
  12. D

cheap dual port 10 gbe NICs for most homelab OSes?

I seldom re-purpose my homelab equipment and servers. Having to work around my mix of 10 GbE SFP+ NICs not working with a particular OS is frustrating. Is there a cheap (eBay) dual port 10 GbE SFP+ card that is stable, works out of the box or requires little effect to get working with FreeNAS...
  13. D

Is 400 to 500 MB/s correct for SAS1 RAID0?

I picked up an old external SAS/3.0 Gbps DAS enclosure to tinker with. It has a built-in Adaptec AIC-9410 SAS controller with external SAS connectors (SFF-8088). I set up a RAID0 set with 4 (four) basic off the shelf SATAIII/6.0 Gbps 7200 RPM HDDs and then later another RAID0 set with 4 (four)...
  14. D

advice on rackmount layout

I saw a 35U rackmount server cabinet and a 1U monitor w/ keyboard and mouse for dirt cheap and decided to pick them up and throw my current home lab equipment in it. Problem is this is my first time building out a rackmount cabinet. Based on the tentative order/layout listed below (top to...
  15. D

pretty dashboard monitoring home lab vitals?

Is there anything out there that monitors the vitals of you home lab/infrastructure and displays it in real time on a dashboard (or as close to real time as possible)? I'm just trying to get a nice visual on my home lab consisting of a FreeNAS server and ESXi host server running your run of the...
  16. D

older, quiet-ish rackmount servers

A couple months ago a seller booted up and ran a HP ProLiant G7 rackmount server to demonstrate to me how surprisingly quiet they are (compared to the G6). What's the oldest Dell, Lenovo or Supermicro rackmount equivalent that's comparably quiet (or quieter)? Obviously budget and quietness is a...
  17. D

help re-organizing homelab after long tinkering stint

I've been tinkering, on a budget, with various technologies over the last year (mainly FreeNAS, Docker and pfSense) and I just looked up and realized how messy my home network is now. My home network also serves as my home lab and network for my small IT support business so that adds to the...
  18. D

using SFP+ past 10 meters

I want to route a 10 Gb link that is about 50 feet. I understand SFP+ limitation is ~33 feet (10 meters), so what issues can I expect to experience if going past 10 meters? P.S. - I can't afford 10Base-T switches at the moment