older, quiet-ish rackmount servers

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

digity

Jun 3, 2017
A couple months ago a seller booted up and ran a HP ProLiant G7 rackmount server to demonstrate to me how surprisingly quiet they are (compared to the G6). What's the oldest Dell, Lenovo or Supermicro rackmount equivalent that's comparably quiet (or quieter)?

Obviously budget and quietness is a priority here

K D

Dec 24, 2016
It depends on what you are planning to do with the server. Supermicro 2u and bigger servers can be made extremely quiet if they are being used only for Compute.

I have a dual E5 v4 system in a supermicro 825 chassis that I can barely hear at load after replacing the chassis fans with quieter ones and using active heatsink with noctua 60 mm fans.

menelmacar

May 2, 2017
I purchased my first server for the home a few months back and was in a similar position as you not wanting something very loud. If I purchased a server and it sounded like a jet taking off all the time my wife would unplug it and I would be stuck trying to resell it.

I liked the price that older HP, Dell, and Lenovo servers were going for on eBay but I read to many forum posts of people trying to use non OEM hardware on these servers and never being able to get their systems quiet again. For example on the HP servers if you use none HP drives, controllers, NICs, etc. the system may not be able to detect sensors on them and will run all system fans at full speed.

Based on other’s issues with these top branded servers I decided to focused on systems from Super Micro, Intel, and others. I wound up buying a system from the for sale forum here on STH and was able to get an idea of the server’s noise from someone with working hands on experience. It is an Intel S2600CP based system and after its initial post is really quiet and have had no issue adding hardware to it.

Larger server are normally going to be much quieter then smaller ones. Newer generation servers offer lower power consumption. The list of considerations can go on and on but for someone to give you recommendations they will need more details such as budget, size, and what you plan to use the server for.

digity

Jun 3, 2017
one rackmount would be for an ESXi/VM host server, so at least dual 2011 v2 CPUs or newer, lots of RAM slots and/or ability to do north of 96 GB, at least 2 x 3.5" HDD bays and able to take 2 x dual port 10 GBe NICs.

the other rackmount would be for the NAS server, so relatively the same specs (less muscle is okay), but at least 16 x 3.5" HDD bays

digity

Jun 3, 2017
I ended up finding a good deal on Craigslist for a Dell Precision T7610 workstation and picked it up because I know they run very quiet. Upgrading it to dual 12 core CPUs (24 cores/48 threads total) and bringing over RAM from the machine it's replacing to 96 GB total. For the NAS server I stopped being cheap and bought a Norco RPC-4224 4U rack mount case and I'm replacing all stock fans with Noctua fans.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk