Search results

1. L

Internal Home Email Server Question

Thank you Stephan. Most helpful and interesting. I need to get my brain around that.
  2. L

To clarify my out of depth comment, I'm out of my depth in terms of what is available now and what is possible now. I used to be Unix sysadmin but it was long time ago. My solution will defintely not be Windows based. I got burnt by Microsoft abandoning WHS and I'm never going back to that. Most...
  3. L

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure I can get my brain around what you are saying but to clarify I don't want anything left on Gmail or Yahoo. At the moment I use POP3 to download and delete everything online as soon as it is downloaded. That works great for a single PC but I can't see any way...
  4. L

That was the whole point of my question. I don't want to use the SMTP part. I just want to fetch email and read it whilst leaving SMTP to my email client and use Yahoo/Google for SMTP as I do now. My question is whether or not I can do that?
  5. L

I am looking to run a home email server and also host internal Bitwarden. At the moment I am using Yahoo and Google and I intend to keep doing this but I want an internal email system for two reasons: I have various systems that can send email alerts and I don’t want to send those externally...
  6. L

ATX motherboard for server?

Thank you for your comprehensive reply. I've been doing a lot of reading and my brain hurts!!!! TrueNAS Scale seems like the best option as Jellyfin and TVheadend are both available at TrueCharts. From all the reading I have done there is just one thing I can't work out. Do Apps on TrueNAS...
  7. L

Thanks for all the info. I have an old Asus motherboard with an Intel 2500k cpu. The motherboard doesn't have enough Sata ports but I wonder if it is worth getting a PCIe card to expand the number of ports and use Ubuntu server. The logic being I can experiment and see what works okay. The...
  8. L

Can you refer me to stuff to read on SAS and the differences to SATA?
  9. L

Microserver N54L running out of space - what now?

I think the PC-A75 is just a bigger version of the PC-A17. I also love the old Lian Li cases and can't understand why they don't still make them. I wish I had bought a few PC-A17 when they were available. I was also trying to buy some Caselabs cases when they went bust apparently due to Trumps...
  10. L

Sata II versus Sata III in server build?

Really? They have a circuit board on the ones I have.
  11. L

I've answered some of the questions above. With regard to budget I don't have anything in mind. I'm more interested in what the options are. At the moment I just know I'm going to run out of disk space soon. As I'm in the UK options are limited. When I look at the US there are loads of options...
  12. L

I'm afraid I don't understand the difference between Sata and SAS. I have an HP N54L microserver and it has one connection on the motherboard. I thought that was mini-SAS? I tried searching for an article explaining it but failed to find anything. I just would like to minimise cabling. With...
  13. L

I'm more interested in whether the change from 3G to 6G makes a difference on a server runnning something like TrueNAS?
  14. L

I plan to build a new server. I have some old Lian Li EX33 (I think that is the part) hot-swap type disk caddies/backplane. I've been trying to find out if these are Sata II or Sata III but I can't find the info. I really like these as they are well made and support 120mm fans. Is Sata II fast...
  15. L

I'm looking for an ATX server motherboard with onboard mini-SAS (at least I think that is what it is called). Need to support 9 hard disks. Tried looking at Supermicro website but couldn't find an option to search for mini-SAS and I've no idea what the latest tech is i.e latest cpu, chipset...
  16. L

I' like to get the Lian Li PC-A17 Black Aluminium Mid Tower Case version of that case. Been looking for a while. Anyone know where to find one in the UK?
  17. L

I wish I lived in that area. I'm in the UK and can't find any used Lian Li
  18. L

I tried to build a new server a while ago but gave up as I couldn't seem to find the right thing. So I installed TrueNAS on my old HP N54L microserver with 5 4TB drives. That has been a good stop gap but now I am running out of space. There used to be loads of great tower cases from Lian Li and...
  19. L

Looking for server build recommendations.

It's an old ATX case that was made before mini-ITX even existed so there are no mounting points for mini-ITX. I like the case because it is all aluminium, or to put it another way, I don't like newer cases that are all glass, plastic and steel. The trend now is also not to have 5 1/4" bays as...