Search results

1. M

Supmicro Powersupply PWS-1K03A-1R / PWS-721P-1R

A little update. Today I walked into the room and thought that my server has failed. But then I heard the gentle sound of the 80mm fans and I realized that 90% of all the noise came from the old power supplies which are no longer there now :)
  2. M

I've now exchange the power supplies and it works. The PSU's are now much quiter. No high pitched 9000 rpm sound anymore, the PWS-1k03A-1R runs with ~4000 rpm fan speed Thanks for the help Morpheus
  3. M

Hello There I have 2 different powersupplies and I'm wondering if I can exchange them for noise reasons. Currently Installed: PWS-721P-1R ( Case: 825tq-r720lpb ) New ones available: PWS-1k03A-1R I already checked the physical appearance, both have the exact same form factor and connectors...
  4. M

ESXI Backup with VEEAM concurrent tasks fast, single tasks slow

VEEAM says 98% source, 88% proxy, 10% network and 0% target I've now changed the network config a bit to use ISCSI round robin to the datastore,2 tasks are now running at the same time with each 90-100 MB/s, totalling at 180-200 MB/s When the first task is finished, the second keeps running...
  5. M

ESXI Backup with VEEAM concurrent tasks fast, single tasks slow

Hi I'm not sure if I'm in the right section, but I'm having a very strange situation. I'm using a Vsphere 6.0 environment with 2Hosts, a netapp storage and Veeam backup and replication 8.0 Everything is redundantly connected with 1 GBIT Ethernet. The Backup is configured to direct san...
  6. M

Connect LSI SAS 9201-16i to backplane

Hi Thanks for the reply, I got confused with the number of ports and number of drives. So even a LSI3008 8 port onboard controller could support more than 8 drives I guess with this backplane? I have not bought it yet, I'm just going trough options and was a bit confused. Thanks! Morpheus187
  7. M

Connect LSI SAS 9201-16i to backplane

Hi I may have a bit of a dump question, I'm not entirely sure what is correct. I'm looking at a LSI SAS 9201-16i card which supports up to 16 drives. The backplane I'm looking at is a BPN-SAS2-836EL1 supporting 16 drives. Now my question is, how do I connect these 2 with each other? In the...
  8. M

SuperMicro SC836 HDD Temps Too High / Fan Replacements / Your Experiences?

I did the same, I used tape to cover the airflow above the hdd's to force the air trough the hdd slots ( I have only 2 HE chassis ) I thought about pads like this: PHOBYA Wärmeleitpad Ultra 100x100x1.5mm (5W/m K) - digitec You can order then in different sizes and thickness, so in theory it...
  9. M

SuperMicro SC836 HDD Temps Too High / Fan Replacements / Your Experiences?

I'm not sure if you will be able to reach sub 40 C without screaming noises from the fans. I've had some old test 2 TB 7200 RPM disks installed in my 2u chassis and they were constantly above 40 C when idle. Now I've got my production disks ( 6 TB WED RED ) in place and with a bit tuning (...
  10. M

Supermicro Rail Screws

I had to secure the rack rails with screws too. At first I thought it would go without it, but when I slid in the server the rail flexed a bit and the rail "derailed" and my server fell down. Luckily it wedged and I could slowly pull it out again without any damage. I just took some random...
  11. M

No leds on Backplane SAS-825TQ

I found the solution to the LED problem Layer 8 Error. Don't be a moron like me :( I've tested hours and hours with cabling, and now I just put the "productive" disks in and started to move some files and when I walked into the room.. the leds were blinking. Obviously I never put "enough"...
  12. M

No leds on Backplane SAS-825TQ

Hi It's me again with another issue, I've never used backplanes and quite new to it, so maybe I'm just overlooking something. The specs first CASE: SC825TQ-R720LPB Backplane: BPN-SAS-825TQ ( 8-port 2U TQ (W/ AMI 9072) backplane, support up to 8x 3.5-inch SAS/SATA HDD ) Board: X11SSH-CTF...
  13. M

Supermicro PWS-721P-R1 PSU Fan speed control

I've now unplugged pin 20 from the ATX connector ( the white cable which was intended for -5V ) But when I put it to ground I don't notice any difference in fan speed. I guess the PSU is already running in "quite" mode with 8700 RPM. I think I would only see a difference when I put on a high...
  14. M

Supermicro PWS-721P-R1 PSU Fan speed control

Hi There I've got issues with the super micro power supply noise level ( PWS-721P-1R ) It's not that noisy but I contacted supermicro and they sent me a specification sheet with informations regarding a pin 17 connector which can change the fan into quite mode I'm however not really able to...