ESXI Backup with VEEAM concurrent tasks fast, single tasks slow

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Morpheus187

May 8, 2017
Hi

I'm not sure if I'm in the right section, but I'm having a very strange situation.

I'm using a Vsphere 6.0 environment with 2Hosts, a netapp storage and Veeam backup and replication 8.0
Everything is redundantly connected with 1 GBIT Ethernet.

The Backup is configured to direct san access, so it can pull the data directly from the san, this is working fine.

Observations
When I start a backup job of a virtual machine that has "2" disks, the job runs at 50 MB/s per disk -> ergo: 100 MB/s
As soon as the smaller disk is finished, the speed drops to 20 MB/s for the remaining disk.

If I now start ANOTHER backup task, the speed immediately picks up to 50 MB/s again on that disk, the other 50 MB/s occupied by the new job. As soon as the newly started job finishes, the transfer speed drops again to 20 MB/s.

I can also have 2 different jobs running a backup at the same time, each getting 50 MB/s, totalling at 100MB/s, a soon as I cancel on of the jobs, the remaining backup process immediately drops down to 20 MB/s

I cannot make any sense out of this behaviour, I would expect one job alone to run at about 90-100 MB/s and not at 20 MB/s.

And I certainly not expect the job to run faster when I start a second one at the same time and to get slower again when the second job is cancelled or finished.

Has anyone maybe a hint in what direction I should start looking at?

Thanks!

Morpheus187

Morpheus187

May 8, 2017
VEEAM says 98% source, 88% proxy, 10% network and 0% target

I've now changed the network config a bit to use ISCSI round robin to the datastore,2 tasks are now running at the same time with each 90-100 MB/s, totalling at 180-200 MB/s

When the first task is finished, the second keeps running at his speed of about 100 MB/s. So I think it had something to do with the network setup. I also switched to VMXNET 3 adapter type, maybe this helped as well.

Thanks for the help so far, maybe someone else finds this helpfull, I'm still not sure what exactly caused the issue.